Oya the TT LFX - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Member Camaro Journals & Builds Tell us the story of YOUR Camaro! How you got it and what you've done with it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Oya the TT LFX

Okay, after all the battles (mostly lost) trying to tune the LLT, I have offically given up. We started working on seeing what it would take to get the ECU from a 2012 to work with the LLT, but it was just too big a project. So...

In October I took ownership of a 2012 2LT/RS LFX. GPI (Gwatney Performance Innocations) was able to immediately connected to it with EFI Live and is working with them on a few tweaks for the transmission connectivity.

In the next update I will let you know how the stock tuning went.. After that we will start the twin turbo build info.

Before we could do any of that they had to take all the good parts off my old car to swap what we can. I'll post a link to my classified ad for the parts I can't use (like ported heads, ported intake manifold, shorty headers, intake isolator, etc..), so keep an eye out for that you LLT guys.

And now for some pics of the new ride.

Oya the TT LFX-01-car.jpg

Oya the TT LFX-02-car.jpg

EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ @20 psi on 93 Octane (locked converter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM

Very cool Gretchen. I'll respect your privacy. Thank you for posting this over here.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Yes...I look forward to hearing more about your project. I would be interested in your intake isolator...it's the one thing I don't have...pm me with a price if you're ready to part with it. Envy would be proud to wear a piece of Gretchen...lol

post #4 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
OK Ill bite what happened to the old ride.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Yes...I look forward to hearing more about your project. I would be interested in your intake isolator...it's the one thing I don't have...pm me with a price if you're ready to part with it. Envy would be proud to wear a piece of Gretchen...lol
Sure, be glad for you to have it. We are working on a solution to get some more fuel to the LFX. If that works we will probably build one for the LLT and I'll need the isolator for a pattern. After that, it's all yours.

EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
post #6 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
OK Ill bite what happened to the old ride.
We never could tune it. Got it up to 500 on the dyno ONCE! It was a pain not being able to see the logs as we were making the pulls. Ended up breaking the ring lands on two pistons right before CFest. Since neither of the two tuners were interested in giving us a way to see the logs or make tweaks ourselves, we gave up on the LLT.

post #7 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about the delays in updating. Got really busy at home and work.

Basically, after messing up the LLT and my horrible runs at CFest, I decided to buy a new LLT motor, build it for more power, and try to find a better tuning solution. We had no luck on the tuning, so we thought about chancing the ECU for the Delphi unit used in the LFX. Unfortunately, that was going to be expensive. So, GPI got me a low mileage 2013 and I traded my 2010 for that. We put the new LLT engine in the old 2010, along with the rest of the drive train from the 2013. It sold the day they put it on the lot and is still running well.

We then put the transmission, driveshaft and differential from my old build in this new car and ordered some 10:1 compression ratio Diamond forged pistons. Everything else on the old LLT motor looked great. The bearings looked brand new.

We have a local shop that builds for Nascar and NHRA. He's been consulting with us and he said the design of these LLT/LFX motors is amazing. Rods and crank are much better than stock LS parts. He loves the design of the block with nice think walls and good webbing. He thinks they'll hold quite a lot of power if we don't do something stupid.

I'll get you some pics of the intake system he designed for us if I get a chance tonight. Otherwise, it will probably be this weekend.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Sweet man, glad to hear you didn't give up.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #9 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Updates coming soon. Making just under 600 RWHP and over 600 RWTQ on an unlocked converter. New multidisk converter on the way.

post #10 of 19 Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Well, I didn't want to post until we had the biggest issue resolved, but looks like that's not going to happen soon.

Both EFILive and HPTuners have some missing tables for the E39 ECU. It isn't an issue on the NA cars or even centri FI that don't have a torque converter, but for me it has been a killer. We can command open throttle but it really won't open all the way until it reaches a certain RPM or MPH. That means I can't get my throttle to open more than about 40% at launch and it takes about 2 sec. for me to get it to open all the way. This is costing me about .3 on the 60' and probably over .6 on the 1/4th.

HP just had their lastest release and there were no new tables for my ECU. I still haven't heard anything about the next release of EFILive, so can't say when we might get this fixed.

However, we move one. Driveability tuning should be finished this weekend. Cage goes in next week. After that we put her on the dyno and see what she can do. Don't know when the multidisk converter will be ready, but hopefully by late September when I hope to hit the track again. Still hoping to hit a 10.5 or better pass, but that may not happend with the throttle issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page