Considering Joining... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Military Members ModernCamaro.com supports the troops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Considering Joining...

Ive looked at the marines, they wanted to long a commitment- 5 ish years

Im considering the army, 19 delta calv Scouts

2-3 years.

My goal is to come out and become a state trooper, or police officer.

Wanted u guys to share your thoughts an opinions, as i need alt of feedback as this is a big commitment.

IF it matters btw im 6' 5" 245
thanks!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-25-2008, 01:22 AM

have you looked into Army National Guard? i just got out of it myself after 6 yrs. something they came up with recently is this program called active first. i dont know all the details, but basically you go active for about 2 yrs, then spend 4 or 6 in the guard. bonus is around 20,000 i beleive, *changes all the time though... there are alot of soldiers there that are involved in law enforcement, i guess they are a military friendly employer.... my factory job wasnt so much.... good luck in whatever you decide. talk to several recruiters, but dont commit to anything until you get all the details about all the options. the recruiters are as shady as people say they are. youd be best to talk to people in the units. recruiter should not have any problem setting you up to meet with them on drill weekend. get it first hand from people of all ranks, cuz you will move through them ranks too.

1986 Camaro Berlinetta (originally)-now a nitrous breathing 383 stroker

1992 Camaro RS - pretty much stock (only to keep its 25th anniversary edition book value)

all the other Camaros were sold
post #3 of 41 Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 PM

im army national guard..... have no regrets about joining...although i do wish id went with 19D as my mos instead of 63B(All Wheel Mechanic)......

buddy of mine signed on with Tennessee Army National Guard, 278th Armored Cav. as a 19D.... he got a $20,000 bonus........... did his basic and A.I.T at Fort Knox, Ky..... man does he love it.... and as a civilian job he works for our local sheriff's department....

its all about the state as to what bonus you could get.... and it depends on the units around your house as to wat mos you could get

i thought about joining the marines, but i could never get my head in the jar... so went guard instead....

post #4 of 41 Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Yes L.E. is a very, very friendly employer to military.

I guess along the ideal that if you can handle the trauma of war and stress under fire then you can do it back in the states. You have your high intensity moments, but nothing like you would see overseas im sure... I agree with that above stated, a majority of my department is marine corp or guard. The individuals who are guard are still able to serve as reservists ...essentially they are "double dipping". Most agencies will also work with your schedule if you decide to remain in the service as a reserve.
post #5 of 41 Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 AM

Rats! I'm a year too late to reply to this...

I'm an Army National Guard cav scout. Funnily enough, I signed up for 6 years, and I'm on course to have about 4 years of active duty points, including my upcoming stop loss.

Weekends my butt!

That said, I would do it again.

Will
post #6 of 41 Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 AM

yeah, i think weekends were the few times they let me come home last year.... spent the whole year basically training to go over there..... they postponed the ship date so many times, that i ETS'd before the rest left.

shame my job fired me in the same week i got out. said i missed too much work... go figure 150 days of training for war doesnt excuse absenteeism at work....

1992 Camaro RS - pretty much stock (only to keep its 25th anniversary edition book value)

post #7 of 41 Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

took the azvap. Got a 69 with like 130 something in mechanics and stuff

Diver came up, but it looks kinda hardcore hmm
post #8 of 41 Old 05-30-2008, 04:00 PM

19 delta calv scout in the corps? That sounds like an army designation. Reservist is a good way to go as well. Thing about that though, go Marine Corps reserve and you will more than likely end up with an 03 designation and a trip to the sand box. There isn't much choice in designation in the Marine Reserves.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #9 of 41 Old 05-31-2008, 12:33 PM

the way it looks, no matter what you join, youll end up over there... until a major change of events happens *new president... or somthing.

like i said in other posts, i signed up just to go over and kick some *ss, but that was when there was actually some kicking going on. now its over, and we are doing the humanitarian thing over there.....

sometimes i regret getting out, ONLY for the fact that MY guys are over there now and im not with them. but they seem to be doing great. hell they spend alot of time on myspace so it must not be the same war i was training for...

i support them fully and await their arrival home and safe. and i wish the same for you if you should ever go.

post #10 of 41 Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM

i think even with a new president... we'll and up dragging feet to get out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in