Going to MEPS on Monday - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Military Members ModernCamaro.com supports the troops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
I drive a Honda

Going to MEPS on Monday

Well, after talking to the Air Force and the Navy, and taking several practice ASVAB'S, I have decided to go with the Air Force.

Initially, the Navy was my first choice due to how easily they guarantee jobs and they don't have a waiting list, but the Air Force is a better living arrangement I believe.

Any tips, I have been studying like crazy, I am joining solely for a certain guaranteed job. Imagery Analyst to be exact. I have been told to make friends with the MEP's officer as they are the real deciding factor on your job.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Depends on what you want to do. Check to see what the job entails, and see what comparable civilian jobs are out there in case you decide to get out. You could use your training for bigger/better things. I was in the nuclear Navy on submarines. When I got out, I got a job instantaneously. I also worked in the commercial nuclear field for a while too, but that was full of ex-Navy nukes. It was a good job, but it wasn't close to home.

If you want to see and go different places a lot, the Navy will do that. You can do it in the Air Force too, but it depends a lot on what your job entails.

Pay grade advancement tends to be slower in the Air Force in general, but that also depends on the job specialty. I made E-6 in 4 years in the Navy. Air Force E-6 usually doesn't get there that quick.

Either way, the training you get and the friends you'll make will be a lot of fun overall. Some of it might not make sense at first, and believe me, there's always some really crappy times in the military, but in the big scheme of things, remain flexible and adaptive and you'll do just fine. "Hurry up and wait" will be something you'll get used to.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Banned

They'll give you a sheet where they'll ask you to fill in about 8 AFSCs. Just enter the one. Don't bow to the pressure and enter any others. They will probably "Suggest" you put in SP or something equally ****ty because they have to fill in the ranks. Don't do it. If you want one particular job, tell them you'll wait as long as necessary.

El ess X is right about the promotion time and everything in the AF. I was in 4.5 years before I even made E-5. I knew people who had been in 10 years and never made E-6. You have to test for rank when your elligible. There are two tests, the test on your job and the test on the Air Force history and policy...The job test is easy, the history and policy test is a *****.

When you finally get to basic, remember one thing. Volunteer nothing. They'll ask things that seem to make no sense or have any bearing on anything. You'll miss your sense of normalcy so much you'll want to answer. Don't! Let the other idiots answer.

Examples:
"Who loves to bowl." (this will make you latrine queen)
"Who's a sharp shooter?" (this will make you a bed aliner)

post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2008, 09:22 AM

Congrats on choosing the best service Just a little FYI, no job is guaranteed unless its on paper. It all depends on the needs of the service.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM

I've been in the Navy for 18.5 years - the Navy & AF have very similiar promotion systems. I was in for 9 years before making E5. Now I'm on a comissioning program where when I graduate with my Master's degree next year, I have to give the Navy 10 more years - that will be a total of 29.5 years at a minimum for me. Either way - Navy or AF - you'll have a good life as long as you commit yourself to giving your best 100% of the time.

Congratulations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page