March 2011 Member/Car of the Month: el ess X! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

March 2011 Member/Car of the Month: el ess X!

Congratulations el ess X for being March's Member/Car of the month here on ModernCamaro.com!

Wow, thanks!

Ok let’s get started with a few questions.

What got you started with your love for the Camaro?

I always liked the1st gens, but in mid-year 1980, I started getting the bug to actually go out and buy a Camaro. Saw an ad in a magazine about the new 81 Z28. It was black and I was in love. My dad said it was the last year for the current body style, and they were "blocking" it starting in '82 with sharper cut body lines. I read that as "not good". So I went down to the local Chevy dealer and found a black/silver/silver stripes w/T-tops on the showroom floor. *drool* I couldn't get a trade done, so I walked. But soon afterward, I found a red, slightly used 78 Z28. I drove that for a while, but then when the '82 Camaros DID finally arrive, I traded that for a new Z28.

What’s the story behind your 5th gen?

After the "unveiling" and the announcement they would make a convertible, the wife and I already decided that we would wait and get a convertible instead of being an early orderer. But, in late April of 2009, bankruptcy talk, convertible push-back, and issues at GM looked like that wouldn't be possible. The wife told me we should go ahead and buy a hardtop because we could lose out on a 5th gen altogether if GM went belly up.

The search was on. We knew we wanted the SS/RS, but colors were hard to choose. The wife finally settled on RY as her color with gray stripes and gray interior and L99, while I was wanting RJT w/black leather and black stripes and LS3. I put my foot down. We were ready to order...The local dealers around here wouldn't go with employee discount and wanted $5K over sticker.

Eventually, SunsetHawkSelena hooked us up with Eric Hall of Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, TX (thanks, Doll!). With credit card in hand, we placed a deposit over the phone on a (remember I put my foot down) RY, gray stripes and gray interior with L99 loaded 2SS/RS in May of 2009. Just like I wanted in the first place...yeah, that's it.

Shortly after, the Transformers Edition was announced, and since our car was still waiting to be built, I traded in the gray stripe option for the TE package addition- just to have a car a bit different. It was finally built in October of 2009. It ended up as Classic's first TE car sold.

Got it with GMFamilyFirst credit card discount, plus employee discount pricing, and although the plane tix cost $300 one way for the wife and I, we "saved" over $8K over buying the same car locally. Eric really hooked us up.

The icing on the cake was Mike Judge's generosity in bestowing us with signed litho #50!!! He learned about my dad's stroke in early 2009 (Corvette plant retiree), and I dedicated our litho to my dad, Bill. I'll cherish that forever.

How did you come across ModernCamaro.com and what made you stick around?

I belong to the SSOA as well, and saw a post for a new site for 5th gens on their forum called "5thgen.org". Stumbled in and here I am.

Finally do you have anything you’d like to say to ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?

Muscle car wars are back. I never thought I'd live to see it again, so don't dabble in this rare opportunity as a car enthusiast to go out and grab the one you like best (hopefully Camaro) and DRIVE IT! It's an experience your grandkids or great grandkids are going to miss, I'm afraid.

And many thanks to GM for building it, and the many friends and acquaintances we've made over the years because of the Camaro!

Note: Swiss Bliss won the MotM vote, but did not respond to private messages. As a staff we decided to wait till the 15th to contact el ess X which came in second place so we have awarded it to him. Congrats!

Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
post #3 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Congrats, glad you and your wife were able to compromise

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.

post #4 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Mike & Family

Congratulations on your Member of the Month It was an honour to dedicate Litho # 50 to your Father , as he was a long time GM employee who give many years of service to the Corvette Plant it was my small way to say Thank You to him . Please send my warmest regards to everyone in South Carolina . Cheers

Mike Judge
Super60

2011 Chev Silverado Z-71 Crewcab
Proud GM Oshawa Camaro Plant Employee
post #5 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

(CONGRATS)

(Larry)
(Bruce USA-1 Larson) (Bill Grumpy Jenkins) (Jungle Jim Liberman) ( http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...stscano7-1.jpg )
post #6 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Congrats El Ess X

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations!
post #8 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats my man! Very deserving indeed!

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.....it's an experience!"

Need to contact me? layssenATaol.com
post #9 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Garage
A Big Congrats!!!! I like the way U put Ur Food Down, Compromise, Compromise, Compromise ='s a Good Marriage....

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
post #10 of 42 Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
SS-Eric

Big Congrats Mike!!!! You are a great advocate for the Camaro!!

SS-ERIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page