November 2012 Member/Car of the Month: Speed Kills - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
November 2012 Member/Car of the Month: Speed Kills

You have been nominated as the Member of the Month for November 2012!!!

What got you started with your love for Chevy and the Camaro?
As a kid, I had always been into cars. Like most of us growing up in the 70's, muscle cars were everywhere, and like all kids, I wanted one. When I graduated from high school, I set out to purchase my first car and I had my heart set on an IROC Z28, but here in California, 18 (y.o) + IROC = an insurance payment that I could not afford. I left for college that fall determined to find a car that next summer that would meet the bill. My dorm room became littered with issues of Super Chevy, Hot Rod and Car Craft. For some reason 1st generation Camaros were very popular as resto projects in the mid-80's. My decision was obvious.

Whats the Story Behind your 5thgen Camaro?
When came home from my freshman year of college, I immediately began my search for a 1969 Camaro. After looking at several, I purchased a base model and began to tinker ... 3 years, 3 motors and complete sheet metal replacement found me at graduation with a car that I could not depend on to get me to my first job. The 69 sat in my driveway for 3 years with grand plans of a Pro-Turing, 502 fire-breathing street rod. That never came to fruition. I came home one afternoon to find the car had been "sold" for me by my parents, and the pink slip waiting for my signature. This was back in 1993. Now with money in my pocket, knowledge of what it took to build a "car of my dreams", I resolved myself to make that dream happen. In 2004, with cash in hand, I looked at two 69's for sale locally. As luck would have it, my fiancÚ's car died and that transaction never happened. A side not here, the fiancÚ became my wife and almost immediately my ex-wife. It was then in 2008 that I came across renderings of the 5th Gen. I made the decision at that moment to forego the 1st Gen for this incredibly sexy 5th Gen. I ordered in April of 2010 and took delivery 7 weeks later.

How did you come across ModernCamaro.com and what made you stick around? Also do you like being a Moderator here?
After the Los Angeles Auto Show in 2009, and seeing the concept car in person, I started searching the web for all the info I could find. I had never participated on an internet forum, so I lurked here and the other very popular site that seems to be a hot topic of conversation here lately. When I finally joined this site, I was called "5th Generation". I "met" many good people here who have been really supportive and almost all the members initially were very helpful. I have since modded the car to my liking with the advice of several members. So a huge thanks to Octane, PowerFreak, Jinkx, and 54 inches for their guidance and thanks to 80's Adam, Taglane, and CamaroSSMan, LoricinLS1 & Selena for the camaraderie. Finally, the pic I included is with my best freind from college, MotorDom at a car show this past summer in Northern California.

How did the Camaro or Chevy in general change your life?

My current car is my toy. I drive seldom, wash it often, and know that as far as cars go, I finally got one right! Now that it is done, it's time to save for the cutest 7 year-old's college fund!

Finally do you have anything you’d like to say to ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?It ahs been a unique time and evolution here at MC. I know that things will always evolve and change. Thanks to Envy for the nomination and to all the members and mods for putting up with all of us. We seem to be very passionate about this small piece of the internet, and in the end, anything important is worth the fight.

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM
See You On Course

Congrats, Speed!!! Great to learn about your path and your passions!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #3 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Back to back IBM!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!

post #4 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
ユキヒョウ

Congrats!!!!!

2019 1SS/1LE
post #5 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

(CONGRATS)

(Larry)
(Bruce USA-1 Larson) (Bill Grumpy Jenkins) (Jungle Jim Liberman) ( http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...stscano7-1.jpg )
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Congrats Speed....nice write up.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChevy View Post
You have been nominated as the Member of the Month for November 2012!!! [/COLOR]
Off topic I know but your dog is freaking adorable !!
post #8 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Congratulations Speed! It's really great to hear your story and I'm so glad you stuck around.
Here's to many more happy years with our Camaros!
post #9 of 16 Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Congrats Speed and well deserved cool write up

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Congratulations!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page