September Member/Car Of the Month 2013: 83Hokie - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Bully Proof

Garage
September Member/Car Of the Month 2013: 83Hokie

MODERNCAMARO
SEPTEMBER MEMBER/CAMARO OF THE MONTH

83Hokie

Congratulations 83Hokie! You are the September Member/Car of the Month here at ModernCamaro.com.

Thanks all, as I have said, it is an honor just to be nominated by such a great group. To be selected is icing on the cake. Redfox was quite the competitor and is a great member, even if there is or is not a Camaro there.

We all want to know a little more about you and your Camaro so I have a few questions for you...
Will you share with us what began your love for cars and/or the Camaro specifically?

Well, I have given parts of my story before, here and there, but here it is in one place and, at least, semi-complete. I grew up a Navy brat and moved all over the place. As I turned 15, my dad was moved to South Carolina (on base) and I got in a group that kind of centered around cars, yet I didn't have one. The group included a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang, a 1968 V8 Camaro, an El Camino, a Chevy Vega , and I think it was a GTO maybe. Later I got kicked out of my HS car pool because he sold his station wagon and bought a new 76 or 77 Camaro (maybe a Bertinelli) and then the guy with the 68 Camaro bought a new 78 Z28. So, as you see, as I started driving, I was in a little bit of a collection of cars. I was basically begging to get a job, so I could get a car, but my parents insisted a set of grades, and I seemed to always be just short. I did get to have a good bit of fun in the Mustang though, we went to the beach a LOT (hmmmm maybe something to do with the grades) and it was always a great drive out there with nice flat passing zones. Then, being it was a military community, people move and my dad retired and we moved to central Virginia. Talk about night and day differences and moving for your senior year of HS ... off base and nothing close by, my parents finally let me get a job for which I needed my own car. We looked at a lot of cars and I ended up with a 1971 Chevy Nova with a 400 small block, 61000 miles, 2 speed automatic for $900. Hmmmm, what doesn't sound right about that? I don't think the made a 400 SB for the Nova. Turns out this one didn't come with one, it was an original 307. I have no idea when or why the switch was made, but I sure was glad I had the 400. I added headers and a dual exhaust, a change of manifold and a 4bbl Holley, then, after I spun my wheels wrong and blew the transmission, I upgraded to a 3 speed Turbo Hydromatic, or what ever it was called. The one "problem" with that car was that it was baby poop brown with a white top. Back to the night and day difference, the HS in VA was in a kind of "affluent" area and there wasn't a single muscle car in the parking lot. I think my Nova would have totally dusted anything in the lot. However, at work (department store with a garage) it was a different story ... another 1970 Mustang, a Nova SS, and a couple of gear heads. Needless to say, I ended up with the later group. Off to college and then I met my wife to be back home in the summer at work ... she had a 77 Camaro. Two of her cars later, we got married (with a Mustang, cough, cough, 4-cyl dog), moved to the DC area and started a family ... there went the car for a new 1984 Nissan Sentra . Oh how I regret that trade now, but there was no way it made sense to keep it then. Then began my separation from muscle cars ... I dreamed a lot, but it just wasn't functional to have one.

Please share with us the story behind your 5th Gen Camaro?

I saw the new 2010's after "the Great Camaro Break". I liked them a lot and the kids were not my responsibility anymore (grown), so that became "the goal". During 2012, I was getting real serious, spending a lot of time on the Chevy build a Camaro site. I was locked on Crystal Red because the Red Jewel had gone away (the perfect color in my Virginia Tech colored glasses). I started looking 1SS, no RS; then 1SS/RS; then finally 2SS/RS. I went and drove a vert and a coupe, both autos. I wanted to drive a manual. I told the salesman, let me know when one comes in. A used one showed up, I stopped and said I want to drive it. You can't, no inspection on it. Okay, call me. It moves on the lot, I stop again, still no inspection, maybe tomorrow (this is like a week after first stop). The next day, its gone. WTFreak!!!! Okay, what ever. Another one shows up, no call. Getting pizzed, but I'm going on vacation. I'm not worried, since I am thinking a 2013 at this point anyway. Down in SC again, building my Camaro again and pretty much settled in on the 2SS/RS as I basically decided this might be the last car I ever buy for fun and I wasn't going to regret not getting those nice bells and whistles. Hmmm, then I look what's available in Charleston. Well, it had EVERYTHING, exactly as I had been building it. I asked my wife if she wanted to go look? We drove up, I bought it and love it. I never did get to try a manual, but the auto was probably in the cards anyway.

How did you discover ModernCamaro.com and what has kept you here?

Well my wife has a Charger and she had been on a Charger forum ... they had a "sister" Camaro forum, but that didn't do much for me. It was a VERY slow site and not too much of interest. So I started searching around and found MC. I also found C5, but MC seemed much more friendly and a tighter group. I go look at C5 every now and then, but seldom post anything. Modern Camaro is my home.

And finally, do you have anything you'd like to add to the ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?

I've been on this site just over a year and I have really enjoyed it. I have learned a lot and view the many members as resources for ideas and advice. I hope that I can contribute somewhere as they do. It has been really nice having a fun car again, its been a long time. Thanks to all of you who contribute and make this such a great site!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Support MC & Troops

Congrats & sweet right up !!, story

Hokie I told you.. you had it in you Congrats bro

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Cool write up brother, and congrats on the win...well deserved!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body

post #4 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Garage
congrats Hokie.. Great looking car!!
post #5 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 PM

nice write up..!

Congratzz...!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/monzaruba/foto3_zps6fbde664.jpg
A Camaro you steer with the rear wheels...!
post #6 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Congrats! I don't get on here as much as I used to otherwise I would have def voted for ya!!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone, I definitely enjoy this site and hanging with you all ...

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #8 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM
2016 Camaro 1SS

Congrats ! Great car and write up
post #9 of 36 Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats man. I'm lovin the louvers and wing!! But I'm jealous of the 71 Nova...that thing must have sounded mean!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #10 of 36 Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Congrats, its soo deserved,

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page