June 2014 Member/Car Of the Month: RS_2LT_SummitWhite11 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Bully Proof

Garage
June 2014 Member/Car Of the Month: RS_2LT_SummitWhite11

MODERNCAMARO
JUNE MEMBER/CAMARO OF THE MONTH

RS_2LT_SummitWhite11

Congratulations RS_2LT_SummitWhite11! You are the June Member/Car of the Month here at ModernCamaro.com

This was quite a surprise and unexpected! Thanks to those who voted for me!

We all want to know a little more about you and your Camaro so I have a few questions for you...
Will you share with us what began your love for cars and/or the Camaro specifically?

It all started when I was a kid growing up. My father worked for DuPont in Auto Finish Sales and was very involved in the car world. He would take me to World of Wheels, Hot Rod Show World etc… During that time period, the show Knight Rider was all the rage and it was then that I actually fell in love with the 3rd Gen FBody’s.

From that point on, it wasn’t until I was in college my parents had given me a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird passed on from my sister to drive during my college days. I drove it for a while and later wanted to trade it in for what I truly wanted. My parents wouldn’t have it and I went ahead and purchased a 1989 IROC-Z vert against their wishes. Once they found out I had a second vehicle, they were relived to find out I wasn’t involved in anything else. I then later sold the Sunbird with their permission and drove the IROC for a while.

I then traded the 89 IROC or a 1992 RS coupe hardtop with a 6 cylinder since I was moving to Rochester, New York from Alabama to transfer to another college. I wanted something that was more suitable for the harsh winters I was about to face as well as not having to worry about the lake effect snow collapsing the roof of the vert. At the same time I wanted to save as much $$ on gas and insurance. I drove this car for a while and it was hell driving through all the lake effect snow during those years!

I later decided that the 92 RS did not have enough power. It was embarrassing enough that the car only put out 140hp. It was also a good time to get rid of it since the transmission had been replaced and the engine started to go as well. I didn’t want to dump any more money into it. I sold the RS and purchased a 1987 Corvette vert. I loved this car!

The Corvette needed some work and the brutal winters didn’t help any. I spent 11 years restoring it inside out. I was broke during this time period while all my friends were out partying and getting in all kinds of trouble. Yet here I was, at home working on it in my garage enjoying the restoration process. It was then I became mechanically inclined on my own and knew this car like the back of my hand. This car was fun to drive in the snow and yet hell at the same time! I went through tires frequently and it was expensive! I was able to get a 97 Blazer 4x4 to drive during the winters while the Vette was in hibernation during those brutal months.

Once I graduated from college I moved to Atlanta, Georgia and was only there for 2 years. During the first year there, I experienced a heavy downpour during the night and came out to find that the inside of the Corvette was flooded with water. I had all kinds of electrical gremlins occur and the battery kept shorting out and dying overnight. I had to disconnect the battery when parked overnight then reconnect in the morning when I had to go somewhere. This became old fast – in which I posted it for sale/trade for a later model IROC-Z or Pontiac GTA Firebird on Craigslist in the Atlanta area. You wouldn’t believe the offers I received on it. It went from houseboats to oversized 4x4’s to trailers and so on! None of these things interested me.

I then finally came across another fellow on Craigslist wanting another project car in trade straight out for his 1987 IROC-Z T-top coupe. He restored it inside out. It had the 350 5.7l TPI. This car hauled butt! Loved it! Yet I was sad to see the Vette go. During this same time period, I sold the 97 Blazer and later purchased a 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra.

Please share with us the story behind your 5th Gen Camaro?

The 1987 IROC later got to the point that things were breaking here and there that it was becoming a money pit. In my opinion, these cars were not designed to be driven daily as they age. Although I do have another daily driver, I also didn’t have a garage at that time to keep up with the IROC and still don’t today since we live in a townhouse down here in South Florida. My wife was getting tired of the problems occurring and she made a suggestion to get rid of it for a 5th Gen Camaro. It was then we traded it in for a 2011 Summit White 2LT. Hopefully we will be able to sell our townhouse and purchase a house with a garage soon!

How did you discover ModernCamaro.com and what has kept you here?

Since I frequented different forums during my college days to now– I did a search online for the 5th Gen Camaros and came across this site. Been here since and had no desire to join any of the other Camaro forums.

And finally, do you have anything you'd like to add to the ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?

My uncle who passed away during my college years was a Harley guy. He once told me never to get rid of my toy or passion otherwise it would be difficult to get back. This somehow became my way of thinking and is still with me today. I currently have two children and my wife is now expecting. My children have been involved with my car hobby since I had the Corvette and now they enjoy the new Camaro. Although my daughter complains the smell of leather gives her headaches! Ha! This Camaro and car hobby is something that will be here to stay for a long time to come. I have no plans to get rid of it and luckily we have an SUV on the side to ride in with the family. I suggest that others hold onto their toy or passion for as long as they can. Life is short – may as well enjoy everything you can now. Never know what life will throw at you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Congrats ...welcome to the club... awesome write up

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Congratzz...nice write up...!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/monzaruba/foto3_zps6fbde664.jpg
A Camaro you steer with the rear wheels...!

post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Congrats! Great write up, well deserved in my opinion.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 PM

Garage
Nice right up,welcome to the club.The white camaro's are taking over

May 2014 MC Member of the Month!
post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on MOTM! Great write-up! Glad you're with us!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Support MC & Troops

Congrats on many levels.. one for the BB coming & keeping a wonderful Camaro + winning
Welcome to the Club n.. wright-up

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #8 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Congrats....welcome to our special club

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #9 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
MODERNCAMARO
JUNE MEMBER/CAMARO OF THE MONTH

RS_2LT_SummitWhite11

Congratulations RS_2LT_SummitWhite11! You are the June Member/Car of the Month here at ModernCamaro.com

This was quite a surprise and unexpected! Thanks to those who voted for me!

We all want to know a little more about you and your Camaro so I have a few questions for you...
Will you share with us what began your love for cars and/or the Camaro specifically?

It all started when I was a kid growing up. My father worked for DuPont in Auto Finish Sales and was very involved in the car world. He would take me to World of Wheels, Hot Rod Show World etc… During that time period, the show Knight Rider was all the rage and it was then that I actually fell in love with the 3rd Gen FBody’s.

From that point on, it wasn’t until I was in college my parents had given me a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird passed on from my sister to drive during my college days. I drove it for a while and later wanted to trade it in for what I truly wanted. My parents wouldn’t have it and I went ahead and purchased a 1989 IROC-Z vert against their wishes. Once they found out I had a second vehicle, they were relived to find out I wasn’t involved in anything else. I then later sold the Sunbird with their permission and drove the IROC for a while.

I then traded the 89 IROC or a 1992 RS coupe hardtop with a 6 cylinder since I was moving to Rochester, New York from Alabama to transfer to another college. I wanted something that was more suitable for the harsh winters I was about to face as well as not having to worry about the lake effect snow collapsing the roof of the vert. At the same time I wanted to save as much $$ on gas and insurance. I drove this car for a while and it was hell driving through all the lake effect snow during those years!

I later decided that the 92 RS did not have enough power. It was embarrassing enough that the car only put out 140hp. It was also a good time to get rid of it since the transmission had been replaced and the engine started to go as well. I didn’t want to dump any more money into it. I sold the RS and purchased a 1987 Corvette vert. I loved this car!

The Corvette needed some work and the brutal winters didn’t help any. I spent 11 years restoring it inside out. I was broke during this time period while all my friends were out partying and getting in all kinds of trouble. Yet here I was, at home working on it in my garage enjoying the restoration process. It was then I became mechanically inclined on my own and knew this car like the back of my hand. This car was fun to drive in the snow and yet hell at the same time! I went through tires frequently and it was expensive! I was able to get a 97 Blazer 4x4 to drive during the winters while the Vette was in hibernation during those brutal months.

Once I graduated from college I moved to Atlanta, Georgia and was only there for 2 years. During the first year there, I experienced a heavy downpour during the night and came out to find that the inside of the Corvette was flooded with water. I had all kinds of electrical gremlins occur and the battery kept shorting out and dying overnight. I had to disconnect the battery when parked overnight then reconnect in the morning when I had to go somewhere. This became old fast – in which I posted it for sale/trade for a later model IROC-Z or Pontiac GTA Firebird on Craigslist in the Atlanta area. You wouldn’t believe the offers I received on it. It went from houseboats to oversized 4x4’s to trailers and so on! None of these things interested me.

I then finally came across another fellow on Craigslist wanting another project car in trade straight out for his 1987 IROC-Z T-top coupe. He restored it inside out. It had the 350 5.7l TPI. This car hauled butt! Loved it! Yet I was sad to see the Vette go. During this same time period, I sold the 97 Blazer and later purchased a 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra.

Please share with us the story behind your 5th Gen Camaro?

The 1987 IROC later got to the point that things were breaking here and there that it was becoming a money pit. In my opinion, these cars were not designed to be driven daily as they age. Although I do have another daily driver, I also didn’t have a garage at that time to keep up with the IROC and still don’t today since we live in a townhouse down here in South Florida. My wife was getting tired of the problems occurring and she made a suggestion to get rid of it for a 5th Gen Camaro. It was then we traded it in for a 2011 Summit White 2LT. Hopefully we will be able to sell our townhouse and purchase a house with a garage soon!

How did you discover ModernCamaro.com and what has kept you here?

Since I frequented different forums during my college days to now– I did a search online for the 5th Gen Camaros and came across this site. Been here since and had no desire to join any of the other Camaro forums.

And finally, do you have anything you'd like to add to the ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?

My uncle who passed away during my college years was a Harley guy. He once told me never to get rid of my toy or passion otherwise it would be difficult to get back. This somehow became my way of thinking and is still with me today. I currently have two children and my wife is now expecting. My children have been involved with my car hobby since I had the Corvette and now they enjoy the new Camaro. Although my daughter complains the smell of leather gives her headaches! Ha! This Camaro and car hobby is something that will be here to stay for a long time to come. I have no plans to get rid of it and luckily we have an SUV on the side to ride in with the family. I suggest that others hold onto their toy or passion for as long as they can. Life is short – may as well enjoy everything you can now. Never know what life will throw at you.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 PM

I didn't know that the camaro came with options like the Vette, 1lt,2lt,3lt, I'm asking because I have a 2012 corvette Z06, but In my case it's 1LZ,2LZ, etc, etc. That's cool that you guys have that option. Nice freaking Camaro, good luck with it.
Regards,
JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page