New to autocross - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Road Racing & Autocross Throw your 5th Gen through the twisties! Post mods, times and results here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New to autocross

Ok guys, i ran my first autocross this weekend with my car completely stock. immediately i knew i needed some work haha. As far as just suspension parts, other than springs and sway bars, what else would you recommend upgrading while im tearing everything apart? Any brand recommendations?

2011 Camaro 1LT RS. Summit White. Cyber Gray Metallic stripes. Heritage Grille. Stay tuned...more to come!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Eibach makes a great street and track ready suspension kit, and is reasonably priced.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #3 of 21 Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
what do you think about more involved stuff like lower control arms, trailer arms, toe rods, subframe connectors? Also, have you heard any reviews on BMR stuff?

2011 Camaro 1LT RS. Summit White. Cyber Gray Metallic stripes. Heritage Grille. Stay tuned...more to come!!

post #4 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

BMR is what i have on my car. i love their stuff. really stiffens everything up. anything they sell for suspension....get it. bushings will really help with all that too. they sell some great bushing packages and it will really tighten up the chassis and everythign moving. that would be my first recommmendation, before buying all their other parts. sway bars are next.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #5 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ive read a lot about bushing replacement....i just cant grasp why changing something that seems so small can make such a big difference....mind explaining it?

post #6 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

the bushings in the car now are rubber. they have alot of give to it. basically it gives the car such a nice comfortable ride. when you replace these with a poly bushing, the material is much more solid, yet has some give to it. any spot that has a movement, in the suspension has a bushing on the end of it. once these are switched, everything tightens up.basically gives you better response,better feel, stiffer ride. handles all around better. my car is solid from all the Pedders bushings i put on it. i have pretty much every suspension part replaced on my car, that you can replace. except the rear lower control arms, which ill do this winter and the stut tower brace, which may be this winter also.

Brixton Forged
post #7 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM

you may want to focus on the understeer so sway bars might be what you want to get first. if you dont plan to autocross that often this also might be something you want to try first before stiffening up the suspension.

just a thought.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

the car could still use a stiffer suspension, even if your not autocrossing it. it will just make it that much more nimble and controlable. not to mention, bushings are cheap to do.

Brixton Forged
post #9 of 21 Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Coilovers will help improve your times. Let me know if I can provide you with more info on the KW coilover kit.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
2016 Camaro 1SS

I would seriously get lowering springs (the center of gravity needs to come down for auto crossing especially if you are on smaller courses) and then grab sway bars will really help your turn in. End links are not super strong on these cars and some auto crossers have had them break so you may want to replace them. I would also consider rear trailing arms to reduce the rear wheel wheel hop.

It is a never ending chase for handling. The other members are right about the bushings as well. I would start with a few and see what you feel rather than buying everything at once.

A lot depends on what class you want to run in also. Once you jump out of stock class then you have to decide what other options might make you competitive like new light rims and tires.

All my Auto Cross buddys are always chasing making the car just that much better. Its fun but gets pricey.

So decide how far you want to go because certain mods take you out of the stock class. Get a list from your local SCCA so you know what you can do within each class. Certain jumps are not worth it for me which is why I still run stock gears.

Sorry for long post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page