What Tires and Wheels for Autocross or SCCA events? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Road Racing & Autocross Throw your 5th Gen through the twisties! Post mods, times and results here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

What Tires and Wheels for Autocross or SCCA events?

Looking for D.O.T. track tires for a G5 camaro ss. What is a good setup, wheel and tire combo? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

how much do you want to spend? tsw nurburgring and forgestar f14 are a very light inexpensive wheel. and as far as tires for street and track, i lovvvveeee the toyo proxes r888. check out tires and base the wheel dimensions off of what tires you find. try to get as square as you can too. something like a 275 or 285 front and rear would be perfect on a 10" wide wheel. i think the toyo r888 only comes in a 275 for a 20" wheels. but that tire is awesome. you may also want to run a 19" wheel instead of a 20" but, if you plan on using it as a street setup also the 20" may be better.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
how much do you want to spend? tsw nurburgring and forgestar f14 are a very light inexpensive wheel. and as far as tires for street and track, i lovvvveeee the toyo proxes r888. check out tires and base the wheel dimensions off of what tires you find. try to get as square as you can too. something like a 275 or 285 front and rear would be perfect on a 10" wide wheel. i think the toyo r888 only comes in a 275 for a 20" wheels. but that tire is awesome. you may also want to run a 19" wheel instead of a 20" but, if you plan on using it as a street setup also the 20" may be better.
Thanks for the reply! Looking at spending average cost, do not need the top dog setup! I want a set of tires and wheels for the track and then a set for the street. The 19" may be the way to go for the track.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

and youll be driving the car to the track? or do you have a trailer? because if you have a trailer, then go with a hoosier a6 slick for racing. if no trailer, then go wit hthe toyo proxes r888. best street legal race tire. R compound. pretty much a racing slick for the road. and the forgestar and tsw wheels are pretty well priced. about 1500 will get you a set. get ahold of tony (nineball). he will hook you up on these wheels. if i can recommend anything to you, go with the 20x10 all the way around and run the r888 toyo in a 285/35 all the way around. your car will stick like glue. heres a link for the tires
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/pr...petition-tires
they are a bit pricey, but their a great tire. and heres a link for the forgestar web site. Forgestar Wheels Custom Rotary Forged Flow Formed Concave Performance Wheels

Brixton Forged
post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
and youll be driving the car to the track? or do you have a trailer? because if you have a trailer, then go with a hoosier a6 slick for racing. if no trailer, then go wit hthe toyo proxes r888. best street legal race tire. R compound. pretty much a racing slick for the road. and the forgestar and tsw wheels are pretty well priced. about 1500 will get you a set. get ahold of tony (nineball). he will hook you up on these wheels. if i can recommend anything to you, go with the 20x10 all the way around and run the r888 toyo in a 285/35 all the way around. your car will stick like glue. heres a link for the tires
PROXES R888 | High Performance Competition Tires | Toyo Tires
they are a bit pricey, but their a great tire. and heres a link for the forgestar web site. Forgestar Wheels Custom Rotary Forged Flow Formed Concave Performance Wheels
Great information! I will be driving to the track and taking the extra set of track tires for that day.

Will the 10" wide wheels fit up front with lowered coil spings? Looking at the 1" lowered springs from BMR. Also what back spacing should I run front and rear?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

10" will fit up front. im currently running 10" front and 11" rear with pedders coilovers. backspacing? you mean offset? im not positive. talk to tony and hell know whats best for you.they make a couple offsets and the setup he was going to do for my car was a pretty aggressive offset for the front to keep from any rubbing. but its a track setup so who cares what it looks like. if your going to be hauling an extra set of wheels to the track, go with hoosier slicks then. but how are you going to get the other set of wheels there? youll take another car just to bring the wheels and tires? if your gonna drive there, you cant do the slicks, so youll have to go wit hthe toyo proxes r888.

Brixton Forged
post #7 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
10" will fit up front. im currently running 10" front and 11" rear with pedders coilovers. backspacing? you mean offset? im not positive. talk to tony and hell know whats best for you.they make a couple offsets and the setup he was going to do for my car was a pretty aggressive offset for the front to keep from any rubbing. but its a track setup so who cares what it looks like. if your going to be hauling an extra set of wheels to the track, go with hoosier slicks then. but how are you going to get the other set of wheels there? youll take another car just to bring the wheels and tires? if your gonna drive there, you cant do the slicks, so youll have to go wit hthe toyo proxes r888.
Yes, I was talking wheel offest.

Actually going to place a reciever hitch on the camaro and use a special designed trailer that only carries track tires.

I did not think they made the Hoosiers in a 20" tire? I will need to check.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

i dont think they do but if you plan on running a 19, which is what i would probably recommend for autocross or track use only, ove r the 20"

Brixton Forged
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

well....maybe just stick with the 285/35/20 toyo proxes r888. that may be easier for you when switching back to the dailey driving wheels. if you go with a 19, youll have to adjust alot of stuff to make it right, then adjust it back. just stick with a 20x10 wheel with the 285 all the way around. should be perfect. if you getthis setup post up pics and pricing....im still concidering getting it for mine.

Brixton Forged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page