First Autocross in the Camaro! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Road Racing & Autocross Throw your 5th Gen through the twisties! Post mods, times and results here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
See You On Course

First Autocross in the Camaro!

I've been autocrossing for several years now, and this is my 5th different car to compete in. I've always competed in "stock" cars, meaning very little modifications, if any, and always on street tires. My budget is limited (thanks, kids!).

Anyway, last weekend was the first event of the region for 2012, and since I bought my 2010 M6-SS last month, I've been chomping at the bit to see what she would do. I was pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a lot more understeer (front wheels pushing out) and oversteer (back wheels spinning/sliding on acceleration) causing me to spin out, but it performed very well.

I took 10th place in overall raw times out of 54 cars, even beating out a couple of Corvettes. After the PAX (handicapping system) was applied, I was 6th.

My only complaint right now is that the leather seats provided ample butt-sliding, so I have bruises on the outsides of my knees from trying to stay in the seat.

Looking forward to a great season, definitely going to Divisional Championships and maybe even the National Championships in Lincoln, NE. I'll keep you all posted on how we do, me and my yet to be nick-named Camaro!

Peace!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
I've been autocrossing for several years now, and this is my 5th different car to compete in.

My only complaint right now is that the leather seats provided ample butt-sliding, so I have bruises on the outsides of my knees from trying to stay in the seat.

Peace!
I suspect you haven't taken and driver instruction. I took the instruction the first time I was at Toronto Motorsports Park road course and I didn't have any problems staying put in my seat. I was also amazed at how well the Camaro stayed on the track. It felt at times like I was going to roll the front tires off the wheels but I never went off the course and the back end didn't swing out either. Great driver training to get the feel of the car.

BoB

Uncle BoB in Oakville, Ontario
2010 Camaro 1SS 6M, Victory Red
ordered January 4th, 2010; delivered March 5th, 2010
http://unclebob.mangle.ca

Last edited by uncle_bob62000; 03-29-2012 at 02:19 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

any video?

Chevy Camaro http://www.carid.com/chevy-camaro-accessories/

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

post #4 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
See You On Course

No, sorry. My camera rig busted last year, and I'm going to get a GoPro soon. Should have some nice pics soon, though, because we always have a person that takes high-res action shots. I'll post them when she uploads them!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #5 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
No, sorry. My camera rig busted last year, and I'm going to get a GoPro soon. Should have some nice pics soon, though, because we always have a person that takes high-res action shots. I'll post them when she uploads them!
awesome! thanks! the GoPro's are sweet! have you ever suction cupped one to the exterior during a race? any issues with it flying off?

post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
See You On Course

I haven't personally, but I've seen several people that have them. We just had another person at the last race who's camera came off, and bounced and rolled, and was still fine. The protective case did it's job!

My other rig was a suction cup mount for a standard video camera, and it lasted for years, until I put it on the front bumper, and it came off and I ran over it. D'oh! Would have been great footage!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

HA! that would have been great to see!

post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carid View Post
any video?
Not sure if you were replying to me. Don't know how to figure that out yet.
Anyways, here is a video of 1 lap at TMP where I have done the road course a few times. On the 1st straight at the beginning of the video, I get up to 100-110 MPH and take the corner at about 50 MPH. You can see there isn't much lean on the corners.

TMP Road Course
Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

TMP Drags
Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.
The orange Mustang ahead of me is my brother-in-law in a GT500 with 547 RWHP. That run was 106.35 MPH in 12.85 seconds.

When I am sideways looking at the tree, I went around the water and am doing a "brake stand" burnout. Don't remember what the stats were on this run but my best so far is 110.09 MPH in 13.35 seconds. Car had SLP CAI, SLP Axle back muffler delete and BMR trailing arms & toe rods.

BoB

Uncle BoB in Oakville, Ontario
2010 Camaro 1SS 6M, Victory Red
ordered January 4th, 2010; delivered March 5th, 2010
http://unclebob.mangle.ca
post #9 of 13 Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
See You On Course

Here is the video I mentioned about the GoPro falling off!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

post #10 of 13 Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

all great vids! good to know the go pro can handle some abuse!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page