Any idea on handleing? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Road Racing & Autocross Throw your 5th Gen through the twisties! Post mods, times and results here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Any idea on handleing?

By the time the Camaro comes out I am going to be done with college and in a financial situation to buy a new car. I have a 78 Camaro now and although I love the looks it is slow and handles like poo. My next car I am interested in is for track play. I always wanted to do road racing. Do you think the new camaro will be able to handle that kind of stuff or is it far behind the Corvette? By that time a 2005-2006 base Corvette will be about the same price as a brand new Camaro or an 01-04 Z06 will be cheaper.

I dont know how comparative the camaro will be to a vette. Obviously it wont be the same the camaro is a much different car but how good will the camaro platform be for road racing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Sure it will.

Out of the box, a 4th Gen Camaro in all its old technology glory was a pretty good road race car.

I suspect the 5th Gen will be far superior out of the box considering the suspension setup is so advanced, plus the independent rear suspension.

And of course there will be the after-market suspension modifications available for those who want even better handling too.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #3 of 16 Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

From what I hear handling will be world class

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress

post #4 of 16 Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayn View Post
By the time the Camaro comes out I am going to be done with college and in a financial situation to buy a new car. I have a 78 Camaro now and although I love the looks it is slow and handles like poo. My next car I am interested in is for track play. I always wanted to do road racing. Do you think the new camaro will be able to handle that kind of stuff or is it far behind the Corvette? By that time a 2005-2006 base Corvette will be about the same price as a brand new Camaro or an 01-04 Z06 will be cheaper.

I dont know how comparative the camaro will be to a vette. Obviously it wont be the same the camaro is a much different car but how good will the camaro platform be for road racing?

I am Drag racing kind of guy but all of my Friends are into SCCA and Road Racing ! Between the 5 of them there are 1 Camaro 2 TransAm's and 1 Vette and 1 GTO.
Factory they all handeled very well !!!
Of course the Vette did good but the one that shocked everyone of my friends including myself on the road course was the 2005 GTO.
Now he has aftermarket suspension on it and WOW he hangs with most of the Vettes and stock BMW's.
I'm almost positive the new camaro will be a Track warrior.
Save your money and get ready if it is anything like the gto it wont be cheap to buy those kind of parts for but when you do...WOW.
In the mean time buy yourself a new Camaro and enjoy the awsome feel the factory suspension will offer....shoot by 09 or 2010 they may be even with what his car is lol
post #5 of 16 Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 PM

i think the new camaro will have a substantially better suspension advantage than the preceding generations.

as for pricing, well all we can tell you is that the new camaro will be priced comparably to the respective mustang models.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 AM

It should definately be a corner carver. It's a zeta and not exactly the same as a GTO but the Zeta and the GTO share more in common that the 4th gen. I can say from experience the GTO outhandled my Camaro with substantial suspension mods on it and my GTO is stock. If it handles anywhere near the same it is going to be awsome.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #7 of 16 Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

I think it's a given and you can take it to the bank that this Camaro will be the best handling Camaro ever produced.
GM is totally aware that there is a whole group of enthusiasts out there who are planning on tracking their 5th gen Camaro and they are definitely aware of this group's expectations.
My hope is that GMPP will have suspension parts available so that people who do feel they need to make their suspension even more track-oriented won't have to go to aftermarket suppliers... thereby keeping that profit within GM.
I would also expect that not only will the version of this car that is best suited for the track be far superior to the 4th gen car, but also every model, from the V6 on up will run rings around the comparable model from previous generations.
The scribes already seem to be pretty positive with their comments about the G8's handling!

Best regardSS,

Elie

2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray
1998 Camaro SS #C079 SOLD
post #8 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM

The only problem is if you run with SCCA, have an SS, you'll be on street tires. No R tires in 20".
post #9 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

I may be wrong but if you are into SCCA or any type of autocross or road racing the V6 will probably be your best bet as in a vehicle to use.
Less weight.
If I am not mistaken they did a test ( motortrend ) and the V8 was much heavier and was a little sluggish at times and the V6 took it like a champ.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

I heard for road racing, the v6 is the way to go. And if you decide to drag race it instead, there are power adders in the works so you can't have best of both worlds.

I myself think the thirdgen is a very good handling camaro. The power is what needs working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page