Making the Move, FL to CA! What do i have to do to my car? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Southwest Members HI, CA, NV, UT, AZ, NM, CO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-20-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Making the Move, FL to CA! What do i have to do to my car?

Ok, I just got a new job that will take me from inspection/rule free Florida to San Diego, CA. My current set up is as follows:

2012 L99 Transformers Edition
CAI Intake
SLP TVS2300 Supercharger
Borla XR-1 Long Tube Headers
CAT and Resonator Delete
Borla ATAK Exhaust
Custom Tune

After my tune I had done at Slowhawk Performance in Mass, I drove my car to an inspection station and passed the emissions portion of a Mass state inspection without the CATs, though the equipment is required to be on the vehicle. Also My car is absurdly loud... i am thinking new headers and high flow CATs should do the trick. Any thoughts, this opportunity popped up and my moving happened very fast and i was given no time to prepare really! Any help and shop/equipment recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
No way long tubes and no cats will pass here obviously.... Your SC MUST have a CARB exemption sticker for it or it will fail as well. The intake will not pass visual inspection and will have to be swapped out for a stock one right before your inspection.

Once you swap out to some CARB legal "shorty" headers (must have EO number right on them - DT and ARH come to mind) and put some cats/O2's back in it, your tune must be able to pass OBDII readiness checks. This means the O2's and anything else that may have been "disabled" in the tune must be turned on again and then you will need to do a certain number of ignition cycles and miles driven to get to the "readiness status" the inspection will look for.... One guy posted up he had to do 700 miles in addition to the ignition cycles to get the readiness check to pass!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 8 Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Garage
sounds like time to sell or trade your car

2011 Early Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood and side skirts, belly pan, carbon fiber extractor, ZL1 wheels, K&N cai, Elite catch can, Big Worm Black/Red Bowties, Vitesse TC

post #4 of 8 Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Maybe i Just need to find a new job!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
No way long tubes and no cats will pass here obviously.... Your SC MUST have a CARB exemption sticker for it or it will fail as well. The intake will not pass visual inspection and will have to be swapped out for a stock one right before your inspection.

Once you swap out to some CARB legal "shorty" headers (must have EO number right on them - DT and ARH come to mind) and put some cats/O2's back in it, your tune must be able to pass OBDII readiness checks. This means the O2's and anything else that may have been "disabled" in the tune must be turned on again and then you will need to do a certain number of ignition cycles and miles driven to get to the "readiness status" the inspection will look for.... One guy posted up he had to do 700 miles in addition to the ignition cycles to get the readiness check to pass!
wow what a pain in the arse

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
wow what a pain in the arse
Yeah, bringing a car in from out of state especially one that has NO smog rules and trying to convert it after it is already modified can be gnarly!

Living here and knowing what you are up against helps you build it with all that in mind.

Mine is ready to go with everything I have done except for the intake which I knew I would be swapping out before the test every 2 years. But at least that is only 30 mins...

Chuck
MyCamaroBuildInfo

post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 AM
I PAID MY DUES!!

Just do what everyone else in Cali from out of state does... Keep a P.O.Box in FL and leave your car registered there!!! Stay ticket free for the most part and let it be until you sell the car or move back, whichever comes first!! The headaches of this state are not going to be worth it but if your job is then c'mon over!!!

"Monica" 2014 1 LT Summit White LFX w/ VMAX throttle body, BBK CAI, E2 catch can w\ clean air separator, Weather Tech all around floor mats, PFYC.com OEM spoiler, CORSA w\ XO-Pipe Sport Performance exhaust, and much more to come!
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLN View Post
Just do what everyone else in Cali from out of state does... Keep a P.O.Box in FL and leave your car registered there!!! Stay ticket free for the most part and let it be until you sell the car or move back, whichever comes first!! The headaches of this state are not going to be worth it but if your job is then c'mon over!!!
That will only work for a little while:

"Newcomers who own a vehicle registered in another state or country need to obtain a California registration within 20 days after establishing residency here. They do that by voting in an election, paying resident tuition at a state college, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption or getting a driver's license or, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles, "any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents."

Plus the CHP are running a crack down program on out-of-state vehicles for registration.... It will catch up with him sooner or later...

Chuck
MyCamaroBuildInfo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page