LA Auto Show (November 21-30, 2008) - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Southwest Members HI, CA, NV, UT, AZ, NM, CO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

LA Auto Show (November 21-30, 2008)

anyone here going to this? i've been going since 1985. on the official site though, there is no mention of the new Camaro making it's debut. the Mustang is there though along with a bunch of others.

http://www.laautoshow.com/Debuts.aspx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Dang it! I wish I could go. The closest one to me is the San Francisco Auto Show. I was gonna go for my Birthday on the 25th this month, but there's just gonna be old cars there. You know... last month's crap. LA is where everything's at. Since you're going, don't take any pics of the 370Z or IS-C unless you want your camera's lens to shatter at the sight of them. Also, everyone knows what the Cayman's going to look like- the same way every other Porsche does. Can hardly tell 'em apart. Anywho, if the Camaro IS there, although we've seen it from every angle, take more pics. We can't get enough of it!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

i came across this news article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/lo...ge=1&track=rss

it didn't mention the Camaro, but i wouldn't be surprised that the Camaro was one of the cars they pulled out. if i go to the show and see no Camaro, i will be very disappointed.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
anyone here going to this? i've been going since 1985. on the official site though, there is no mention of the new Camaro making it's debut. the Mustang is there though along with a bunch of others.

http://www.laautoshow.com/Debuts.aspx
I will be there ( ) Saturday with Sony HD Camcorder in tow...if the 2010 Camaro does not make an appearance, I will be supremely disappointed!

My guess is, it WILL be there as a GM "show surprise"...

P.S. I've got several $2 off discount coupons for the LA Auto Show (available to local 7-11 Stores)
post #5 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Snippet from NY Times Article today (November 20, 2008) on LA Auto Show...

"Other highlights were a mixed bag of debuts:

HOT RODS AND HYBRIDS Ford introduced a modestly retouched Mustang here, updating the pony-car icon as it finally faces competition, from the Dodge Challenger and soon-to-arrive Chevrolet Camaro . The styling of the Ford Fusion midsize sedan has also been freshened, along with the similar Mercury Milan; the Lincoln MKZ was also tweaked.
"

Here is another snippet from a website...

2008 L.A. Auto Show: <bleeped> Camaro Interior

The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro was packed in a corner away from all the prominently placed fuel-efficient Chevy models (I missed it when I did my earlier GM blog). I hopped the little glass fence guarding the two Camaros on display to check out what the interiors look like. After another journalist was scolded by the on-hand Chevy girl when he tried to sit in the Camaro, I thought it best to just peer in and tap on stuff. To my surprise, the materials were rather disappointing. Although it scores high on style points (especially compared to the Challenger), everything I touched was hard and a little coarse in texture. Contrast that to the Challenger and the 2010 Mustang, both of which have squishy dashes and more pleasant materials. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe was also very <bleeped>. On the upside, the Camaro's bespoke switchgear (i.e., not parts bin) looked pretty special, as did the two-tone plastic dash trim. -- James Riswick, Automotive Editor

Posted by: JRiz November 20, 2008, 3:50 PM

I liked the part about "...was packed in a corner away from...", since the odds are reduced I will get a bunch of goofballs in my HD video recording on Saturday!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

did i mis-read? you can't sit in them? i understand if they were Ferraris or Lambos, but one of the best things about the Auto Show is you can sit in the cars.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
did i mis-read? you can't sit in them? i understand if they were Ferraris or Lambos, but one of the best things about the Auto Show is you can sit in the cars.
No, the Camaro that has been traveling from show to show is not a production interior. Fbodather said it has a coating applied to mimic the textured interior panels and it would likely scratch or flake off.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonz5GEN View Post
No, the Camaro that has been traveling from show to show is not a production interior. Fbodather said it has a coating applied to mimic the textured interior panels and it would likely scratch or flake off.
Yep, I can confirm no one was being allowed to sit in either the Silver SS or the Custom Black RS Camaro...dang nabit! I took a number of still photos with my digitial camara (they look ALOT like the ones I have already seen posted over the last several months unfortunately), but I also took HD video!

I just happened to get back to "the mob" around the two 2010 Camaros this Saturday afternoon after putting on my wide angle camcorder lens, when the Chevy spokeman started a 5 minute or longer speech! What luck, but oh, did my arms get sore holding my camcorder up in the air for continuous shooting over the front row of heads! I will clean up that video when I am back home this week and see how I can post that here for all to see (and hear)...

As for the LA Show article writer who stated the Camaros were "...packed in a corner away from all the prominently placed fuel-efficient Chevy models...", all I can say is it was DONE FOR A REASON in my opinion, and that reason is, the Chevy folks did not want the crowd / mob surrounding the Camaros to block traffic to other vehicles! Far more people were around the Camaros than the new Corvettes just 10 feet away...
post #9 of 11 Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET MSCL View Post
Yep, I can confirm no one was being allowed to sit in either the Silver SS or the Custom Black RS Camaro...dang nabit! I took a number of still photos with my digitial camara (they look ALOT like the ones I have already seen posted over the last several months unfortunately), but I also took HD video!

I just happened to get back to "the mob" around the two 2010 Camaros this Saturday afternoon after putting on my wide angle camcorder lens, when the Chevy spokeman started a 5 minute or longer speech! What luck, but oh, did my arms get sore holding my camcorder up in the air for continuous shooting over the front row of heads! I will clean up that video when I am back home this week and see how I can post that here for all to see (and hear)...

As for the LA Show article writer who stated the Camaros were "...packed in a corner away from all the prominently placed fuel-efficient Chevy models...", all I can say is it was DONE FOR A REASON in my opinion, and that reason is, the Chevy folks did not want the crowd / mob surrounding the Camaros to block traffic to other vehicles! Far more people were around the Camaros than the new Corvettes just 10 feet away...
thanks for your report! sounds like the only time we will have a chance to sit in them is when they hit dealer floors & lots.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
thanks for your report! sounds like the only time we will have a chance to sit in them is when they hit dealer floors & lots.
Not quite as good / fun as sitting in one, but - as promised - here is a link to the photos and video I shot on Saturday afternoon, November 22nd at the 2008 LA International Auto Show!

http://gallery.me.com/sessionsfamily

A few quiz notes / questions:
1. Who can name the vehicle (year, make and model) on the football field sized poster over the main Entrance (to the South Hall) in the video?

2. In the video, where is that 6+ ft tall, 300+ lb attendee heading to...is it the Hummer Dealer or the Smart Car Dealer? (FYI: the Shaq owns a Smart Carbriolet)

3. Notice the lack of a crowd around any Chevy vehicle other than our beloved Camaro!

4. For you video viewers, there are Small, Medium and Large versions...in order to view the Large version, you _must_ be over 21 years of age, buying an SS (RS package is optional), and with your own money (not mommy and daddy's)...just kidding!

Enjoy!

Last edited by DET MSCL; 11-26-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: To correct MORE typos...jeez!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page