Modern Camaro Forums banner

New to the site and have question about headers

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CamaroFTW 
#1 ·
Good Morning Everyone.

I am knew to the forum and the camaro. I decided to go with the 6 because of the price tag and gas (I have a 42 mile round trip commute). I am very happy with the 6, but like any other person, I want to f*#k with it!!!!:angry:

Any pointers on headers for the V6. I have heard that if you go with long tube headers you will get a CEL, and I have heard short tube doesn't really do anything. Can anyone help me out here?? Also, what are some good brands?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

#2 ·
WELCOME!

Not sure about LT's and CEL on the V6....but I'm sure someone else will chime in. As for brands, check out American Racing Headers.

#7 ·
The headers don't go that far back they connect to an x pipe which connects to your cat back exhaust set up. i believe you can use the stock cat back with the x pipe you get with the headers you will just need to have the exhaust shop fab them. id highly look into a after market cat back tho because i am not sure how resrictive the stock exhaust is

#9 ·
I don't have a V6 but here is what I just learned with my L99 A6 SS. I started with a RotoFab CAI and put it on the dyno. I made 352 rwhp (about 450 flywheel). I added a Borla cat back and Kooks LTs with high flow cats. Back to the dyno for a tune. the base run showed 357 rwhp. A 5 hp gain. Hmmm. After a couple of hours on the dyno with an exprt tuner I came away with 370 rwhp and a VERY dramatic difference in drivability. He turned off that annoying AFM and that alone was worth the price of admission.
So the bottom line is headers without a tune are not cost effective. And you should get rid of the resonator and put in an X pipe. Find a good dyno tuner in your area and work with him if you can.

#11 ·
LT's on the v6 will give ya a CEL...but the most power. BBK Longtubes advertise a +33hp at the rear wheel...if ya check out the stock headers...they're pretty sad...so the shorties are still an upgrade...without the CEL but maybe +10hp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.