burnt smell from Exhaust - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
markgws6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.F. South Bay, CA
Posts: 93
 
Garage
burnt smell from Exhaust

another noob question... my car now has over 200 miles on it. Performance is great and I'm pretty easy on it, usually never go over 4000RPMs. I have been smelling a burnt, almost like burnt plastic smell, coming from my exhaust or rear of the car after driven ever since the first test drive. Is this normal? One dealer guy told me it was the new cats burning in and another person told me it was agents the factory uses burning on the engine and that it will go away.

I've never had a new car do this before. Also the H20 temps always hover around 210-215. Isn't that a little high? Weather here is very nice only 70s and maybe low 80s now. I checked the coolant and it was a little low so I added some to the overflow bottle. Still have the smell and temp. I know little about these cars still, so any suggestions from the more experienced would be great!
markgws6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
 
bamaproshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wetumpka, Alabama
Posts: 8,645
  
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
another noob question... my car now has over 200 miles on it. Performance is great and I'm pretty easy on it, usually never go over 4000RPMs. I have been smelling a burnt, almost like burnt plastic smell, coming from my exhaust or rear of the car after driven ever since the first test drive. Is this normal? One dealer guy told me it was the new cats burning in and another person told me it was agents the factory uses burning on the engine and that it will go away.

I've never had a new car do this before. Also the H20 temps always hover around 210-215. Isn't that a little high? Weather here is very nice only 70s and maybe low 80s now. I checked the coolant and it was a little low so I added some to the overflow bottle. Still have the smell and temp. I know little about these cars still, so any suggestions from the more experienced would be great!

Thats normal the smell will go away shortly. Not sure about the other.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
bamaproshop is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,086
  
Garage
Absolutely normal. I had the same smell the first time I flipped on the AC and it totally freaked me out. So I'm more inclined to believe the engine coating explanation...but what do I know. But the smell was long gone before the 400 mile mark so no worries.

I made my dealer drive Envy until she didn't stink anymore. I just couldn't stand the smell. He was happy to oblige though.

Last edited by Envy; 03-31-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Envy is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,086
  
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I've never had a new car do this before. Also the H20 temps always hover around 210-215. Isn't that a little high? Weather here is very nice only 70s and maybe low 80s now. I checked the coolant and it was a little low so I added some to the overflow bottle. Still have the smell and temp. I know little about these cars still, so any suggestions from the more experienced would be great!

What coolant did you add? I've read that the coolant that GM uses is not compatible with other brands. I'm just mentioning something I remember reading and I'm sure the guys have more information on the subject...so don't quote me. As far as the temp goes...I've never paid attention to the exact temp that mine runs at but I will and I'll get back to you with that. The water temp has always appeared to be in a safe range to me.
Envy is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
markgws6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.F. South Bay, CA
Posts: 93
 
Garage
Thanks guys, I feel better now knowing some of you had the same thing happen and that it will go away. The coolant I added is Dex-cool compatible 50/50 just as the manual states. I still wonder what is burning to cause the stink. I think it's something either inside the exhaust or possible on the outside rubbing on the hot pipes. I noticed the muffler had a sticker left on it and I peeled most of it off but still had the smell.
markgws6 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,086
  
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Thanks guys, I feel better now knowing some of you had the same thing happen and that it will go away. The coolant I added is Dex-cool compatible 50/50 just as the manual states. I still wonder what is burning to cause the stink. I think it's something either inside the exhaust or possible on the outside rubbing on the hot pipes. I noticed the muffler had a sticker left on it and I peeled most of it off but still had the smell.
I never got the smell at all until I flipped on the fan so I don't think it's the exhaust. It appeared to come from the engine compartment to me.
Envy is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 93
 
Are you sure you didn't catch a plastic bag along the road somewhere? They melt right onto your exhaust, or other hot parts under the car and stink for a long time, even if you get most of it off.
kjd15 is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,449
 
it is the oils in the exhaust from when they bent the tubing. perfectly normal.

there are also some paper tags on the exhaust that will eventually burn off as well.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
RedJewel2SS is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,818
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
it is the oils in the exhaust from when they bent the tubing. perfectly normal.

there are also some paper tags on the exhaust that will eventually burn off as well.


What he said........


Once the Oils in the exhaust burn off you wont see smoke come out of the tail pipe and the smell will disappear.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
sdk
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,977
 
Garage
The smell will go away. My dealer warned me about it before I signed the papers.


2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
sdk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome