2012 V6 Camaro Gets More HP and Better Fuel Economy - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

2012 V6 Camaro Gets More HP and Better Fuel Economy

GM News - United States - News

Quote:
PONTIAC, Mich. – In auto production, more power, better fuel economy and fewer emissions rarely appear together. But the 2012 Camaro 3.6L direct injection V6 engine achieves all three by combining the exhaust manifold with the cylinder head into a single aluminum casting.

Each integrated exhaust manifold cylinder head – a V6 has two -- replaces a cast iron exhaust manifold, six bolts, a gasket and a heat shield and three bolts. By eliminating this joint, the potential for a gasket failure is eliminated. And the change reduces engine weight by 13 lbs. or 6 kg per engine. Reducing mass helps improve fuel economy and the 2012 Camaro 2LS model is EPA estimated at 30 mpg highway.

“Reducing engine mass of this magnitude doesn’t happen often,” said Ameer Haider, GM assistant chief engineer for V6 engines. “Engineering usually looks for reduction in terms of grams not pounds. It’s just like removing a set of golf clubs from your car when you don’t need them – ultimately it saves fuel. When combined with other mass reductions, the customer will see better fuel economy over time with better performance.”

Extensive simulation and bench testing was performed to perfect cylinder-head airflow. Intake airflow is improved 7 percent with the use of larger intake valves (38.3 mm v. 36.9 mm), which are primarily responsible for an increase of 11 horsepower. Exhaust flow is 10 percent better than the previous V6.

Lower emissions, narrower engine size and noise reduction round out the list of benefits for the new head design. With the catalytic converter closer to the engine exhaust point, the emissions reduction process begins sooner, resulting in lower emissions. The new cylinder heads decrease the overall width of the engine by 4.6 inches (117 mm) for significantly more packaging space in the engine bay making underhood work easier. Due to less surface area, the new design contributes to a 1 decibel reduction in engine noise at idle.

“The new, patented design benefits the customer in all the key areas without any tradeoffs, said Haider. “Emissions, performance, fuel economy, and noise all improve with the integrated exhaust manifold.”

About Chevrolet -- Founded in Detroit in 1911, Chevrolet celebrates its centennial as a global automotive brand with annual sales of about 4.25 million vehicles in more than 120 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, safe and reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited performance and value. The Chevrolet portfolio includes iconic performance cars such as Corvette and Camaro; dependable, long-lasting pickups and SUVs such as Silverado and Suburban; and award-winning passenger cars and crossovers such as Spark, Cruze, Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet also offers “gas-friendly to gas-free" solutions including Cruze Eco and Volt. Cruze Eco offers 42 mpg highway while Volt offers 35 miles of electric, gasoline-free driving and an additional 344 miles of extended range. Most new Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models can be found at 2011 Cars, SUVs, Trucks, Crossovers & Vans | Chevrolet

welcome to alberta we eat cow, drill oil and rope calves

wants to push you down a flight of stairs to see if you are like a slinky or if you bounce like a ball... either way, I am quite sure I will be amused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

I guess the 2012+ V6 owners won't ever want to modify their exhaust or add turbos. WTF.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Support MC & Troops

Wow thx much Kitty, I &
Now how a bought the V8's luv for them..

I wonder tho, has any one tried to compensate for the best fuel economy on a V8,
regardless of power drop or not ?, I wonder if any ones tried it ? /

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"

post #4 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
I guess the 2012+ V6 owners won't ever want to modify their exhaust or add turbos. WTF.
I'm sure creativity will solve this "issue" quickly. However, it will eliminate headers as we know them. What you will see, most likely, is exhaust starting at the collector.

Turbos might be a little more difficult however but not out of the realm of possibility.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants... and slide on the ice." Sidney Friedman

"A hero is made in the moment, not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come."
post #5 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenn View Post
I'm sure creativity will solve this "issue" quickly. However, it will eliminate headers as we know them. What you will see, most likely, is exhaust starting at the collector.

Turbos might be a little more difficult however but not out of the realm of possibility.
I think what we'll see is alot of head swaps.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Hmmm, I will leave my opinion reserved at this point. I wonder if you can cut the exhaust manifolds off (machine) and the bolt on or are they ALL new castings.....would love to see photos.....

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

The link has pics. It looks like an all new casting.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM

You do, well here it is:

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

post #9 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM

The pictures on the link were simulations.... I THINK this is an actual photo.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
The pictures on the link were simulations.... I THINK this is an actual photo.
I think you're right. I don't see anyone modifying these at all. I'd imagine maybe, someone trading an older 2011 or prior Camaro heads so the old one gets a performance boost, and the new one can upgrade performance. This just seems like a REALLY terrible idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page