is changing to premium at 28k miles a bad idea? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CamaroFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 720
 
is changing to premium at 28k miles a bad idea?

...i have been using regular from shell for 98% of the life of my baby...i was thinking of trying v-power but i don't want to cause any issues? has anyone made the switch? is it healthy to switch at this mileage? i understand the LLT motor is designed around the use of regular but I'm just curious.

any info on the topic would be greatly appreciated

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
CamaroFTW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
It won't do much, if anything. Only do it if you enjoy paying more for gas for very little to no gain.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CamaroFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 720
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
It won't do much, if anything. Only do it if you enjoy paying more for gas for very little to no gain.
well i did do it once when i had 2-3k miles on it and i gained roughly 2mpg so there is some kind of gain...im just curious on the topic is all

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
CamaroFTW is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
 
Buzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Holly Springs, Georgia
Posts: 1,260
 
Garage
Run the recommended octane per Chevy. If it is 87 then run 87. Anything more is waste of money. I know the LLT 3.6 V6 are rated at 87. Not sure what the 6.2L are. Check out Clark Howard on this subject.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

Buzz is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
well i did do it once when i had 2-3k miles on it and i gained roughly 2mpg so there is some kind of gain...im just curious on the topic is all
Or maybe you went a bit lighter on the gas pedal since you just paid more?



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Run the recommended octane per Chevy. If it is 87 then run 87. Anything more is waste of money. I know the LLT 3.6 V6 are rated at 87. Not sure what the 6.2L are. Check out Clark Howard on this subject.
6.2L has premium recommended.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Supporting Super Moderator
 
brandonppr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,668
 
It shouldn't hurt anything. your car may need time to adjust tables in the computer.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
brandonppr is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Supporter of common sense
 
OverAnxious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 9,152
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
...i have been using regular from shell for 98% of the life of my baby...i was thinking of trying v-power but i don't want to cause any issues? has anyone made the switch? is it healthy to switch at this mileage? i understand the LLT motor is designed around the use of regular but I'm just curious.

any info on the topic would be greatly appreciated
The only difference you'll see is a lighter wallet

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
OverAnxious is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 738
 
Is the 2 MPG worth the price difference, though?

I don't know what you're paying for both types.
MercuryDomini is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Junior Member
 
our72GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada's only desert
Posts: 61
 
Waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You get more out of proper air pressure in tires.
our72GTO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome