To tune or not to tune?? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

To tune or not to tune??

I am really considering getting the Trifecta tune for my V6. I currently have Doug Thorley shortie headers, Flowmaster axle back exhaust, Injen CAI, and QTP exhaust. For all of you that have this tune, do you think it was worth it and how much HP can I expect from getting it?? This will probably be my next MOD. Any comments will be appreciated.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Why not the Hypertech tuner instead? The Trifecta (which is only a partial tune and includes no equipment) runs $275 and the Hypertech tuner only runs $375. After a discussion with both companies...I am going with the Hypertech myself.

I didn't want to get a tune and void my warranty...but just yesterday the GM District Rep informed me that my car VIN has been red flagged and
no warranty work will be honored. So now there is no reason not to get a tune.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Why not the Hypertech tuner instead? The Trifecta (which is only a partial tune and includes no equipment) runs $275 and the Hypertech tuner only runs $375. After a discussion with both companies...I am going with the Hypertech myself.

I didn't want to get a tune and void my warranty...but just yesterday the GM District Rep informed me that my car VIN has been red flagged and
Red Flagged for what? Did you have major motor work done are you running a turbo or supercharger?

post #4 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Garage
what and why is red flagged?
post #5 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Red Flagged for what? Did you have major motor work done are you running a turbo or supercharger?
No...just the exhaust work. The rep said that the dealership had reported all the modifications to her and that my car is now red flagged. Which means I can have warranty work done...I just have to pay for it...and that just doesn't seem like warranty work to me.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
No...just the exhaust work. The rep said that the dealership had reported all the modifications to her and that my car is now red flagged. Which means I can have warranty work done...I just have to pay for it...and that just doesn't seem like warranty work to me.
That's a load of bull if you need warranty work unless the they can prove that the problem is from the mods you did they have to honor the warranty.
I would look into another dealer.I would also contact corporate.Just my $0.02
post #7 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Send me your VIN and I will see what they blocked.
Bill

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #8 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I have looked at the Hypertech also. But the Trifecta tune has 13hp gains on stock V6 Camaro where Hypertech is showing 6 hp gains. Vince seems to know his crap with this. And I can get it through a member of my club who is a dealer for Vince.
That sucks about your warranty Envy. I don't see how they can do that unless they can prove your mods caused the problem. I am about to say the hell with my warrenty anyway. Its not worth having if you can't do to your car what you want to.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #9 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
That's a load of bull if you need warranty work unless the they can prove that the problem is from the mods you did they have to honor the warranty.
I would look into another dealer.I would also contact corporate.Just my $0.02
I did contact corporate because I requested a meeting with the GM and the Service Manager at my dealership three weeks ago and have been given the run around ever since.

So I called the GM customer service number and told only a small part of my story...then they had a district rep contact me and I told her some of what has transpired since I purchased the car. She contacted the dealership and they gave her a total bs story about how my diverters were wired to the front O2 sensors and it was all overriding my ECM and that is what's causing the CEL. So she said that GM WILL NOT get involved in anything that concerns aftermarket parts...even if the dealership did the installation (or contracted it)...it was between me and the dealership. But she had added all the aftermarket parts to my file for future service work.

And now...not only can I not get my dealership...the one responsible for all this to service my car...I probably won't be able to get any dealership to service it. So I would have to say that GM has been less than helpful in my particular situation.

And there's actually a lot more to this story but I'll put that in my own thread "Oh no they didn't" because that is a much more appropriate title for the next part.

And just in case everybody doesn't already know this.....Never, Ever, Ever buy a car from Huffines Chevrolet or any other Huffines dealership in the DFW area.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

a few of our guys have the trifecta and are pretty happy with it

Dont have any experience with the others

Envy thats total crap hope you get it worked out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page