20" Tires Question - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

20" Tires Question

Sorry to ask such a "noob" question. But, I am in the process of purchasing a set of 20" 2SS tire/wheels. Will they affect performance and etc? I am sure some of have already changed your tire/wheels and need to know if the difference in weight and etc affect the car in any way. Thanks.

2010 Limited Edition Synergy Green Camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
No Joe...they will not affect your performance in any negative way. I put the chromed RS wheels on mine soon after purchase and they improve the looks drastically but you probably won't notice a performance difference with just the wheels and tires. And remember that tire rotation is out the window now...not that I cared...I made it this far in life without ever rotating a set...lol.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
No Joe...they will not affect your performance in any negative way. I put the chromed RS wheels on mine soon after purchase and they improve the looks drastically but you probably won't notice a performance difference with just the wheels and tires. And remember that tire rotation is out the window now...not that I cared...I made it this far in life without ever rotating a set...lol.

Agreed, right on.

NEVER OUTSMART COMMON SENSE
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSITUTE MY OWN

post #4 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
The wheels and tires are going to weigh more so there will be a bit of a hit to acceleration performance as well as handling/braking performance since the suspension/brakes now have to deal with the extra weight. Unsprung weight is one of the biggest detractors in the performance arena.

Then there is this word of caution from GM in regard to fitting larger wheels on vehicles models that do not have it as a "purchase option". Gonna throw it out there just for an FYI for anyone else that reads this thread...

Document ID: 2774398
#PIC5280C: Questions On Swapping Wheels From One Vehicle To Another - (Feb 20, 2012)

Subject : Questions On Swapping Wheels From One Vehicle To Another

Models : 2010 - 2012 Chevrolet Camaro

Condition/Concern:

Many dealers have inquired about installing wheels and tires onto another vehicle after taking them off a vehicle that had purchased accessory wheels. The most common scenario is when a customer left their 20" wheels at the dealer after having 21" accessory wheels installed. Then the dealer wants to sell the left behind 20" wheels to a customer who has 18" wheels on their car.
Recommendation/Instructions:

It is recommended that the customer purchasing GM Accessory wheels keep their original wheels and tires; especially if they are going from 20 inch wheels to 21 inch GM Accessory wheels. Currently there is not a 21 inch winter tire available and the customer will need the 20 inch wheels to install winter tires.
GM does not recommend or authorize installing a 20 inch wheel onto a vehicle with a factory installed 18 inch wheel due to differences in the chassis components. If the vehicle model and trim level could have been ordered with the size of wheel that the customer wants installed, then a swap would be acceptable. A vehicle cannot change to staggered tire sizes (different tire sizes on each axle) if the vehicle was not ordered and built that way.
If the vehicle is not available from GM in its current model and trim level with the customer's desired wheel size, then a swap is not supported by GM and should not be attempted.
Here are a few common examples:
- If they have the LS series 18 wheel, they cannot upgrade to the 20" wheel.
- If a car has factory 19" wheels and they could have ordered the 20" wheel from the factory, then it is OK to install the 20" wheels.
- If they have the 1LT or 2LT model with the 19" wheel, they can upgrade to the 20" wheel because it is available as a factory option.
- If the car is a LS, LT or SS series vehicle, it is not recommended to install the wider ZL1 series 20" wheels.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #5 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
A vehicle cannot change to staggered tire sizes (different tire sizes on each axle) if the vehicle was not ordered and built that way.
If the vehicle is not available from GM in its current model and trim level with the customer's desired wheel size, then a swap is not supported by GM and should not be attempted.
The above example refers to going from 18" LS wheels to 20" RS wheels...which GM greatly frowns upon. But Joe is going from the stock 19" LT wheels to RS 20"s which are available on an LT. And I'm still confident that Joe is not going to notice a difference in his V6 launch...lol.

And I had my car evaluated by the best performance shops in this area and NOT ONE of them felt that a brake upgrade was needed because I went from 19" to 20" wheels/tires. The weight difference just isn't that great.

Last edited by Envy; 03-13-2012 at 09:04 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
The above example refers to going from 18" LS wheels to 20" RS wheels...which GM greatly frowns upon. But Joe is going from the stock 19" LT wheels to RS 20"s which are available on an LT. And I'm still confident that Joe is not going to notice a difference in his V6 launch...lol.

And I had my car evaluated by the best performance shops in this area and NOT ONE of them felt that a brake upgrade was needed because I went from 19" to 20" wheels/tires. The weight difference just isn't that great.
Fully aware of all that and realize the avg driver isn't gonna notice/care. Never said a brake upgrade was needed, only that braking and handling will be affected/change some if the car is "driven"...

I saw where this might head with the LS crowd and figured it was a good place to drop the info....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Envy, my 2010 synergy green Camaro came with 18s. We have the same car as far as I'm concerned. It only came in the LT trim. So would GM really make our chassis different?? It SHOULD be the same right?

post #8 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm a dummy and tired. I have the 19" wheels. 18 tires.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo Zzang View Post
I'm a dummy and tired. I have the 19" wheels. 18 tires.
How do you have 18" tires on 19" wheels? We did buy the same SE Camaro Joe and it came with 19" wheels and tires like I said not the 18" speed governed LS wheels and tires.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I'm confused then... Cause they always rotated my tires and said they were the same around. Maybe they are 19s... Ugh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page