CAI Inc's CAI installed in my 2012 LFX! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

CAI Inc's CAI installed in my 2012 LFX!

Came home today to a big present sitting on my door step - a package from Cold Air Inductions with my new cold air intake! :woot:

Tore the box open and started the install. The directions were VERY easy to follow. I took some pictures along the way (below). Overall the product seems very well built and all the items were pretty high quality. There obviously has been a lot of thought put into the whole system and it really looks great once it's installed. I was really impressed with how well the box fits the contours of the engine bay, although I was really worried about the hood release cable and wiper fluid tube getting in the way. The only weird part I encountered was the fitment of the box top - it's a tight fit and a little awkward.

I'll openly admit that if it weren't for my quest to improve MPGs, I probably wouldn't have been that concerned with buying a cold air intake at the price point it's at - but now that I have the product installed, I'm warming up to the fact that I spent this much money on a nice quality product.

The unexpected bonus was the new tone of the car when accelerating. It's hard to describe, but it has a lower throaty sound. I really wasn't expecting that from a simple cold air intake install, but it does sound a little different. I'll have a better idea of how well it worked tomorrow after driving ~60 miles round trip (mostly freeway) to and from work. Prior to the install I was at 22.7mpgs.

Getting the cold air intake also allowed me to readjust the RX Catch Can - I also took the time to drain it out. It's been installed for 3,000 miles now and it didn't catch too much - but anything caught is better than nothing!!

Here's the pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Garage
Any MPG gains ?

I can guess that the new sound & improvement in power made it kinda hard to keep your foot out of it & drive normally. For some reason i have that problem all the time.

What`s your MPG now ??

Tks.
Don...

2012 Camaro 2LT 45TH Anniversary Edition.
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust.. Cold Air Inductions, CAI.. VMax Ported Throttle Body.. Elite Catch can.. RPI Designs Red Caliper Covers.. P13W Plasma DRL LED Bulbs.. Silver Metallic Vinyl Gills.. Tinted Windows.. Bowtie Red-Out.. Light Smoke Tinted Side Markers and Reverse lights.. Aqua Blue LED Interior & footwell Lighting.. Red Cup holder lighting..
post #3 of 26 Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Haha yeah for the first few days my foot was in the throttle a little too much. Surprisingly, though, I'm now averaging a little over 25mpgs! Huge improvement from 22.7mpg!

post #4 of 26 Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 AM

Garage
Hey Meissen....
Thanks for sharing your MPG results.
You did a great job taking & posting pictures of your CAI install. It looks great !!

Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust.. Cold Air Inductions, CAI.. VMax Ported Throttle Body.. Elite Catch can.. RPI Designs Red Caliper Covers.. P13W Plasma DRL LED Bulbs.. Silver Metallic Vinyl Gills.. Tinted Windows.. Bowtie Red-Out.. Light Smoke Tinted Side Markers and Reverse lights.. Aqua Blue LED Interior & footwell Lighting.. Red Cup holder lighting..
post #5 of 26 Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! Now that I've gone back to driving normal I'm down to about 23.5 but compared to the 22.7 I *was* getting it's still better!
post #6 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and pictures of the intake. My car is bone stock (just bought it 3 days ago) and i probably won't do too many mods but i'm liking this one and am leaning towards it. Thanks
post #7 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Question CAI Question

Regarding the CAI's in the closed box I am concerned about the difficulty of getting to the windshield resevoir. You mentioned that the top cover was tight and more of a challenge to install. Will it be hard to refill now? Actually, I am in CA and may never have to get to it but....
post #8 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

It's not bad at all -- the cover is held on by three twist screws. Twist the screws 1/4th of a turn and it unlocks the lid and you can then get to the windshield reservoir.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Garage
The glass framed lid comes off very fast & easy. Pictures don`t show the quality of the Cold Air Inductions CAI. It is built to last in my opinion.
The pictures Meissen posted help me see how easy it would be to install.

It took me no time at all to take the lid off. Loosen the hose clamp. Pull the filter out and blow a dead bug & small debris off the filter.
Thanks To Meissen, Bill @ CAI and Auto Angenda. I am 1 happy camper......

Here`s a pic of my 2012 Camaro LT2 45Th Anniversary Edition. ( V6 LFX )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine cover.jpg
Views:	1982
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	13984  

post #10 of 26 Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Nice MPG improvement! I average ~23MPG.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page