Changing Exhaust Voids Warranty - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Changing Exhaust Voids Warranty

So called my local dealer and asked would it void warranty if i put on new mufflers. They Told me no, would not as long as i don't change/remove cat converters. Which is pretty normal, but says to call GM just to make sure.

So I call GM... they say, well let us call your local dealer and they put me on hold. Woman comes back and tell me it would void my warranty. So guess I can't do anything to my vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone have any success painting the silver trashcans black with a high temp paint and it not flaking off?
post #3 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
See You On Course

I seriously doubt cat-back exhaust will void the warranty. They must have misunderstood the question.

Cats and headers, I can see.

Waiting to see what others know about this.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #4 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 01:58 PM

cat-back does not void warranty .

TRACK HO's
10 1SS
11 1SS
13 ZL-1
14 Z/28
post #5 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
A cat-back exhaust will void your power train warranty with GM but an axle-back system will not. There is a thread on this site where kc0cmj (a GM technician) quoted (copy and pasted) GM's policy on voiding warranties and it basically said...if a modification adds 1 single horsepower to your engine...then it will void your drivetrain/exhaust warranty...period..no ifs ands or buts. So a CAI or a cat-back exhaust system will void your warranty every time...but an axle-back system just adds some sound and no horsepower at all so it is not a warranty breaker. But to be on the safe side...a GMPP axle-back system is your best choice. I have the Flowmaster system that was installed by my dealership or you can go with the Magnaflow system if loud vs. depth of sound is your goal.

Last edited by Envy; 11-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
post #6 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM

They can only deny a specific claim if they can show that the damage was caused of the change you made. Period!

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, “what is not covered”. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such a claim or offer an explanation, it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202 326-3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Consumer Bill of Rights
from SEMA Action Network

Your Rights to Personalize Your Vehicle

ARTICLE ONE: You have the Right to buy high-quality, reliable aftermarket performance and specialty parts, accessories and styling options.

ARTICLE TWO: You have the Right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new car warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial under such circumstances may be proper only if an aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.

ARTICLE THREE: You have the Right to install and use emissions-legal aftermarket performance parts without incurring hassles and onerous procedures during state vehicle emissions inspections.

ARTICLE FOUR: You have the Right to actively oppose any proposed (or existing) laws or regulations that will reduce your freedom to use aftermarket automotive parts and service or will curtail your ability to take part in the automotive hobbies of your choice.

ARTICLE FIVE: You have the Right to patronize independent retail stores and shops for vehicle parts and service. The U.S. aftermarket offers the world's finest selection of performance and specialty parts, accessories and styling options. These aftermarket products satisfy the most discriminating customers seeking personalized vehicles for today's lifestyle.

The foregoing message is brought to you by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA). If you would like our guidelines on what to do if your new car warranty is denied, check out the Warranty Denied? section of our web site.

New Vehicle Warranties And Your Rights

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act. It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. With that said, some dealerships are more performance-oriented than others and are more willing to work with customers.

Warranty-related materials, published by the new vehicle manufacturers, state that the installation of aftermarket parts have no effect on the warranty unless such equipment causes the problem that leads to the warranty claim. Nonetheless, some dealers have improperly denied warranty claims even though the claim had nothing to do with aftermarket parts. I.E., just because you install an exhaust system, your suspension failure warranty claim cannot be denied. If you experience a problem with an uncooperative dealership, point out the provisions of the this "FEDERAL ACT". For more information call your vehicle manufacturer or click on the link above to go directly to the Federal Trade Commission's website to find out more about this law.

Is there even more information available to me?

Yes, SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, has extensive information about this issue. Check out their information at Warranty Denied?

SEMA also keeps track of illegal / unethical practices by dealers regarding this area. If you should have to go to court or to arbitration to settle your warranty complaint, contact SEMA with the details.

What else can I do?

In large cities, there are always other dealers you can do business with. It's a good idea to find out about the most cooperative performance-oriented dealer available to you by checking with clubs, local groups, etc.

If you live in smaller communities, make sure that an uncooperative dealer knows that they are giving you plenty of reason to take you business elsewhere.

If you should have to do that, write the "manufacturer" to tell them that their dealer's activities have caused you to buy from another car company!

TRACK HO's
10 1SS
11 1SS
13 ZL-1
14 Z/28

Last edited by 4WHLDRFTN; 11-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #7 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
See You On Course

That seems kind of silly. Not what you said, but that they would differentiate between an axle-back and a cat-back. Is there really anything between the cats and the axle that restricts the car?

And doesn't an axle-back system still increase HP? What about muffler deletes? Not that I have a warranty to worry about any more....

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #8 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN View Post
They can only deny a specific claim if they can show that the damage was caused of the change you made. Period!

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, “what is not covered”. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such a claim or offer an explanation, it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202 326-3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Consumer Bill of Rights
from SEMA Action Network

Your Rights to Personalize Your Vehicle

ARTICLE ONE: You have the Right to buy high-quality, reliable aftermarket performance and specialty parts, accessories and styling options.

ARTICLE TWO: You have the Right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new car warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial under such circumstances may be proper only if an aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.

ARTICLE THREE: You have the Right to install and use emissions-legal aftermarket performance parts without incurring hassles and onerous procedures during state vehicle emissions inspections.

ARTICLE FOUR: You have the Right to actively oppose any proposed (or existing) laws or regulations that will reduce your freedom to use aftermarket automotive parts and service or will curtail your ability to take part in the automotive hobbies of your choice.

ARTICLE FIVE: You have the Right to patronize independent retail stores and shops for vehicle parts and service. The U.S. aftermarket offers the world's finest selection of performance and specialty parts, accessories and styling options. These aftermarket products satisfy the most discriminating customers seeking personalized vehicles for today's lifestyle.

The foregoing message is brought to you by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA). If you would like our guidelines on what to do if your new car warranty is denied, check out the Warranty Denied? section of our web site.

New Vehicle Warranties And Your Rights

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act. It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. With that said, some dealerships are more performance-oriented than others and are more willing to work with customers.

Warranty-related materials, published by the new vehicle manufacturers, state that the installation of aftermarket parts have no effect on the warranty unless such equipment causes the problem that leads to the warranty claim. Nonetheless, some dealers have improperly denied warranty claims even though the claim had nothing to do with aftermarket parts. I.E., just because you install an exhaust system, your suspension failure warranty claim cannot be denied. If you experience a problem with an uncooperative dealership, point out the provisions of the this "FEDERAL ACT". For more information call your vehicle manufacturer or click on the link above to go directly to the Federal Trade Commission's website to find out more about this law.

Is there even more information available to me?

Yes, SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, has extensive information about this issue. Check out their information at Warranty Denied?

SEMA also keeps track of illegal / unethical practices by dealers regarding this area. If you should have to go to court or to arbitration to settle your warranty complaint, contact SEMA with the details.

What else can I do?

In large cities, there are always other dealers you can do business with. It's a good idea to find out about the most cooperative performance-oriented dealer available to you by checking with clubs, local groups, etc.

If you live in smaller communities, make sure that an uncooperative dealer knows that they are giving you plenty of reason to take you business elsewhere.

If you should have to do that, write the "manufacturer" to tell them that their dealer's activities have caused you to buy from another car company!
This is true. They have to prove the aftermarket part caused the malfunction. Thats your rights with the FTC. Never had a problem with my car and I have headers and a Cat-back exhaust. When I took it in they found a oil leak at one of the heads. They replaced the seal and did the work all under warranty.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #9 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN View Post
I'm quite familiar with that act...since I've had some experience in this area...but it doesn't mean a thing. GM can and will deny any claim they want and it will be up to the vehicle owner to hire an attorney to recoup any losses...so good luck with that one.

Most dealership service departments want your business so they do not report modifications to GM...that way GM will compensate them for the warranty work and they retain a happy customer. But if you have some major failure...GM will send out a local field rep that will inspect your car and deny the claim...period.

And who cares what the SEMA Action Network says? They don't warranty your car.

Last edited by Envy; 11-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.
post #10 of 64 Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
This is true. They have to prove the aftermarket part caused the malfunction.
In the meantime...GM has denied your claim and your car just sits there.

And Scott...you've already admitted that the guys at your dealership are your buds...so you don't count. And if you do have a major engine failure you will be floating down the river of deNile too...lol.

Last edited by Envy; 11-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page