Getting my Engine Replaced After Oil Change - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Getting my Engine Replaced After Oil Change

Hello,

I am a new member here, I have had my 2011 Camaro LT1 RS for about a year and a half. I LOVE MY CAR and all the perks that come with owning this bad a$$ machine! I needed a PA State Inspection so I took it to a local shop for the inspection and asked them to change the oil while they had the car. BIG MISTAKE.

A week later I come out of work and fire her up and there was alot of noise coming from the engine/transmission. There were no warning lamps on the dash so I drove it to the dealer and left it to be checked out in the am. I received a call telling me that I needed a new engine. I nearly lost my breakfast.

The oil filter was full of metal particles, there was less than a quart of oil left and the entire underside of the car was dripping oil, oil was all over the back end of the car and even soaked the exhaust pipes.

The shop that changed the oil did not use the O-ring that comes with a new filter but had used a flat seal instead. The seal did not hold under pressure and the oil blew out. Im no mechanic or even that good with terminology. My Dad taught me to change my oil, brake pads, and even helped me put a new clutch in my Chevette!

I called the shop that changed my oil, told them what happened and asked what they would do for for me. The owner of the shop called me back within the hour and gave me the name of his insurance company, a claim number, and the telephone number to reach them. I was impressed! He also apologized and said in 30 years, this was his 6th claim.

Its now 6 days later, I got a rental yesterday and a check was mailed today for my new engine. the only bad thing is that I am having to pay "Betterment", initially 550.00 and after some pushback, reduced to 275.00. Betterment is defined by the insurance company as my car will be better than before as I am getting a brand new engine and my old one had 20K miles on it.

Dealers rough estimate on the replacement is 8300.00, insurance adjusters detail estimate is right at 8000.00. So I have a check in route for 7700.00. I am meeting the service rep at the dealership in the am to compare notes and see what is acceptable.

Should I aske the dealer for a discount? My dad is a retired GM line employee that spent 30 years on the lines. I am 40 and have never owned anything other than a GM car.

Ask the local shop to pay the "Betterment" and if he refuses, take him to small claims court.

or just be happy that I got a brand new engine for my car for 275.00.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Another concern of mine is that I never received any warning - no lights or dings that there was a problem.....frustrating!
post #3 of 32 Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Hell Yea, this was not your fault, I would not pay one red cent. I would call you own insurance company and have them file a claim against the company that changed your oil...just my 2 cents.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.

post #4 of 32 Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbscouture View Post
Hello,

I am a new member here, I have had my 2011 Camaro LT1 RS for about a year and a half. I LOVE MY CAR and all the perks that come with owning this bad a$$ machine! I needed a PA State Inspection so I took it to a local shop for the inspection and asked them to change the oil while they had the car. BIG MISTAKE.

A week later I come out of work and fire her up and there was alot of noise coming from the engine/transmission. There were no warning lamps on the dash so I drove it to the dealer and left it to be checked out in the am. I received a call telling me that I needed a new engine. I nearly lost my breakfast.

The oil filter was full of metal particles, there was less than a quart of oil left and the entire underside of the car was dripping oil, oil was all over the back end of the car and even soaked the exhaust pipes.

The shop that changed the oil did not use the O-ring that comes with a new filter but had used a flat seal instead. The seal did not hold under pressure and the oil blew out. Im no mechanic or even that good with terminology. My Dad taught me to change my oil, brake pads, and even helped me put a new clutch in my Chevette!

I called the shop that changed my oil, told them what happened and asked what they would do for for me. The owner of the shop called me back within the hour and gave me the name of his insurance company, a claim number, and the telephone number to reach them. I was impressed! He also apologized and said in 30 years, this was his 6th claim.

Its now 6 days later, I got a rental yesterday and a check was mailed today for my new engine. the only bad thing is that I am having to pay "Betterment", initially 550.00 and after some pushback, reduced to 275.00. Betterment is defined by the insurance company as my car will be better than before as I am getting a brand new engine and my old one had 20K miles on it.

Dealers rough estimate on the replacement is 8300.00, insurance adjusters detail estimate is right at 8000.00. So I have a check in route for 7700.00. I am meeting the service rep at the dealership in the am to compare notes and see what is acceptable.

Should I aske the dealer for a discount? My dad is a retired GM line employee that spent 30 years on the lines. I am 40 and have never owned anything other than a GM car.

Ask the local shop to pay the "Betterment" and if he refuses, take him to small claims court.

or just be happy that I got a brand new engine for my car for 275.00.

Matt
Not for nothing, but the guy at the shop owned up to it. There's a lot to be said for that. He could have denied everything. Since the oil change was a month ago, he could have said that you sabotaged his work. But still tho, none of this was your fault and therefore you shouldn't have to come out of your pocket at all. I would suggest you politely bring it up to him and see what he says. At the end of the day, even if he refuses, you'll still end up better off than if you take him to court...court costs and such. Or try to make some other deal...maybe 2 years of free oil changes, free installs on parts, etc. Or you can call the insurance and tell them the check is insufficient to cover the repairs. I would think that if they accepted liability and issued a check then that check should cover all costs. whichever way good luck. Hopefully you'll get it repaired without having to pay betterment or anything else out of your pocket.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

Last edited by Chapel; 12-13-2012 at 01:20 AM.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Betterment?

I doubt that your car will be worth more when you go to sell it down the road because it has a replacement engine...

In fact your car may be worth less, you should check into the value of used cars with original verses replacement engines.

If you find that well maintained vehicles with the original engine have a higher value than "well maintained' vehicles with *now* used replacement engine then you should counter with a request for compensation for the difference instead of paying this betterment fee...

I would guess that down the road you car is going to be worth less with this new engine.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 AM
See You On Course

Sucks that this happened to you. Glad the shop owned up to it. One time that happened to me years ago, after a tune-up, and the shop would only pay to fix what they messed up, not the results from it. Guess they are learning.

I personally would pay the $275, because the hassle and stress over trying to get it out of someone else wouldn't be worth it. Plus, how much would you have to pay a lawyer to help you get it? But that's just me. I'd look at it as paying rent on the first engine for 2 years.

However, your argument against "betterment" is that now you don't have a "numbers-matching" car, so it won't be worth as much as it could have been. Although it wasn't a collector's item with 20k on it anyways.

Good luck with the new engine!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #7 of 32 Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments - sounds as though the dealer is going to work with me and I am getting a brand new engine, not used/rebuilt. Ill be sure to keep that documentation at trade in.

I will asked the shop owner for the difference, but not willing to work out a deal for any free work, I will not be having him do anything to my cars.

Any yes, I do think that I am pretty lucky that this worked out how it did.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Garage
Betterment after 20K? Are you kidding me? An engine these days is barely broke in at 20K mi. I don't see how they can call this betterment! Especially seeing how your engine is still under factory warranty (Not that this has anything to due with warranty issues). Personally I'd call them and tell them they can take their betterment and put it where the sun doesn't shine!!!
post #9 of 32 Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
You need to make sure the replacement engine has a warranty equal to or better than the warranty on your car. A step down means you should get compensation.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Some great advice here. By law they have to put you in a position that "equal to or better" than you were before the "accident/f up".

Personally, I would want a replacement car, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I am truly sorry this happened and I hope everything works out for you.

Do NOT sign ANY paperwork from the insurance company until you are 100% satisfied. The shop screwed up and you MUST be satisfied.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page