Problems with 2012 V-6 Camaro - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Problems with 2012 V-6 Camaro

I had a problem last month with my stablitrack light coming on and hard stopping. Took to the dealer, kept the car for 7 days. After it had been in the shop for 2 days they told me there was a service advisory out. The had to decarbonize the pistons to correct the problem. One month later, my service engine light came on. Took to the dealer and they said several codes were coming up. They wanted to keep the car for three days to do successive cold starts three mornings in a row? Don't really understand why they can't fix the car when they have the codes telling them what's wrong. Seemss this like the car has been in the shop more lately than it has been on the road with me in it.
Car has 20,000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Have faith. Being a very hot car, the Camaro gets a LOT of attention when something comes up. GM will get you fixed up.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 79 Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM

good times are a head....

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/

post #4 of 79 Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM

suzyq,

Sorry to hear of the concern you have with your Camaro. Please keep us updated on what the dealership finds. In the meantime, feel free to contact me if you'd like me to look into this further for you.

Ashley
Chevrolet Customer Assistance

Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
post #5 of 79 Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
I had a problem last month with my stablitrack light coming on and hard stopping. Took to the dealer, kept the car for 7 days. After it had been in the shop for 2 days they told me there was a service advisory out. The had to decarbonize the pistons to correct the problem. One month later, my service engine light came on. Took to the dealer and they said several codes were coming up. They wanted to keep the car for three days to do successive cold starts three mornings in a row? Don't really understand why they can't fix the car when they have the codes telling them what's wrong. Seemss this like the car has been in the shop more lately than it has been on the road with me in it.
Car has 20,000 miles on it.
It does suck when you have a car in the shop...especially when it isn't an elective mod install...and even more so when you're making payments on it. I wish I had some insight to offer. I hope it all works out soon. And maybe this issue, whatever it is, will help all the dealers if they are faced with it again.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #6 of 79 Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Stabilitrack lights have NOTHING to do with pistons. Research the dealer - there are shops that are better than others. Complaints are usually easy to find. If the car becomes problematic, keep your receipts...

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #7 of 79 Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
Stabilitrack lights have NOTHING to do with pistons. Research the dealer - there are shops that are better than others. Complaints are usually easy to find. If the car becomes problematic, keep your receipts...
Yes it can. The top engine cleaning the the OP was referring to is to de-carbon the valves. The Direct injection engines get a crap ton of carbon built up on the valve since there is no fuel flowing over the intake valves to keep them clean (no fuel additve will help either since it all bypasses the back of the valve). When the carbon deposits get large enough, the can impede air flow and cause a misfire. When the engine misfires enough, it cannot calculate the torque output a a given throttle % and the service stabilitrac message will display.

Part of the stabilitrac system is for the modules to control the power output of the engine...if proper control of the engine cannot be maintained power of the stabilitrac system is comprimed.

Edit, having to decarbon the valves as soon as 15k mi is not uncommon.
post #8 of 79 Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
You have 5,254 post on here and our newbie has 3. I'm sticking with your answer. Hope you are right, Right!! Me in Virginia

:
post #9 of 79 Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
You have 5,254 post on here and our newbie has 3. I'm sticking with your answer. Hope you are right, Right!! Me in Virginia
I am SAE Certified and I have 10+ years as a certified GM tech and a degree in engineering....that should be worth at least 5,252 post.
post #10 of 79 Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
I am SAE Certified and I have 10+ years as a certified GM tech and a degree in engineering....that should be worth at least 5,252 post.
That's great I'm glad you are a member on this site and Welcome to ModernCamaro, we need all the help we can get especially ME, don't listen to me since I usually don't know what I'm talking about but at least at 68 I'm having fun with my first Convertible. Thanks Michael in Virginia

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page