What are the limits of the high feature v6? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 392 Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

What are the limits of the high feature v6?

Hello. I'm hoping some one here has an aswer for me, it seems the internet is hiding what I'm looking for...or no one really knows.

I'm tossing around ideas for a project that I will start within the next 6mo. I was origianlly going to use an LSJ with a compound turbo set up so that I would get good low end torque but have insane top end too. I was planning some where in the 400-500whp range on low boost and in the 700-800 on high boost range.

But, At the dealership I work for, one of our long time customers had an STS kit installed on his newer v6 'maro (the LLT version v6). He's getting around 425 whp with 5-6psi. So it got me thinking...the v6 has pretty good low end with the VVT and already gets me to the whp I want for my "low" setting. But, how much abuse can those engines really take? I would get forged rods/pistons...I just don't trust hyper pistons and sintered rods (seen too many of those snap for no reason on n/a applications). Playing with cam overlap would be nice too help produce a nice torue curve (can use it to spool the turbos faster too). And that is something the LSj doesn't have unless I put and LE5 head on the block which they are not really that good for high hp; they are just not as strong as the LSJ head is.

SO has any one here started breaking the LLT yet? or know what power levels can be attained before bore distortion and head gasket failures become an issue? Has any one step-decked their block, if so what company can do that on this block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 392 Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
For the money you're going to drop on the 6, you could upgrade to an SS and be farther ahead with a car that's set up to handle the higher power already.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 392 Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

The problem is that is not a camaro. It will be a front wheel drive car converted to RWD. The inline 4 will be tight between the firewall and radiator...the 6 should be a little shorted.

If there was room for an LSX...ummm, sexy...makes my weiner hard just thinkign about it. LOL.

post #4 of 392 Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM

I would head over to ecotecforums. I would build a hybrid 2.1l ecotec with a small turbo. It will spin high and make great Hp. Quad4rods sell a trans adapter for most gm v8 transmissions. Go to gm tuner source and download the ecotec build books. 500-600 hp is easy. I would use either a gen 2 le5 block or a LNf block. Then use a 2.0 crank and mix and match pistons and rods. Hahn turbo makes 500hp kits for ecotecs. I'll type more when I get time.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #5 of 392 Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

The eco option has not been cut, it will be plan "B" if the 3.6 is known to have issues at the HP/TQ levels I intend to place on it.

But my questions are not focused around the ecotec, its around the LLT/LY7 platform.
What has it been pushed to, what can it take? There is are 12k+ members here....if no one knows, can you point me to some one (or place) that is really pushing limits with this engine?
post #6 of 392 Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 AM

The highest whp LLT is just above 500hp last I read.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, 14.555[email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #7 of 392 Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MD- Enforcer View Post
The highest whp LLT is just above 500hp last I read.
Do you remember where you saw this information?
post #8 of 392 Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, It lookes like the Ly7 should be pretty good for what I need.

Does any one know if a T56 will bolt up to one of these?
post #9 of 392 Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got a good deal on an LY7 from an 09 Malibu w/ only 3k miles on it...it was totaled before its first oil change.

I have a trans coming. Got a super deal on a unit with ZERO mile. It should be here next week.

I'm going to be working with a reputible leading clutch company to make a real clutch. Hopefully a twin disc kevlar unit ( kevlar has a nice engaugement, low wear and a good bite). If it pans out it will be a better clutch solution then the crappy Spec's (I have had a couple of specs and they where both garbage...friend had the same out come after I warned him not to get one). I will call the clutch company next week after the trans gets here with some measurements so I can get things started.

Obivously, if the clutch works you will not be limited to kevlar. They do offer OEM rag fiction materials and ceramic discs too.

Looks like you camaro boys might benefit from an old crust sa-turd
post #10 of 392 Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 AM

So how close is the bell housing?

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page