Warranty work - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Warranty work

I own a 2012 v6 IMB Camaro, 36,500 miles. Its my daily driver, last week noticed engine light on start up. Went to Autozone, guy told me it was the charcoal canister solenoid? ever heard of this malfunctioning so soon? told me it needed to be replaced. called dealership, they said 3 yrs 36,000 mile warranty will cover it, lucky I am barely in the mileage limit. Taking it in Monday, concerned about future issues that will not be covered. Has anyone else experienced this solenoid going out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Garage
Most times if it is an emission related problem (like this should be) it should be covered for 8 years.

Do you overfill your gas tank (i.e. round to the nearest dollar when the tank cuts you off)

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car
post #3 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Things will break, nothing will last forever, GM does the 3 year 36 because they know some parts will fail prematurely, It shouldn't be a concern for future down the road.. $31& happens.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month

post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsblue View Post
I own a 2012 v6 IMB Camaro, 36,500 miles. Its my daily driver, last week noticed engine light on start up. Went to Autozone, guy told me it was the charcoal canister solenoid? ever heard of this malfunctioning so soon? told me it needed to be replaced. called dealership, they said 3 yrs 36,000 mile warranty will cover it, lucky I am barely in the mileage limit. Taking it in Monday, concerned about future issues that will not be covered. Has anyone else experienced this solenoid going out?
Sorry to hear about this! Please keep us posted on the diagnosis and let us know if you have additional questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
post #5 of 11 Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Sorry it has taken me so long to update but I have been going thru hell with this car for the last few months. They replaced the gas cap first go round. Light came back on two weeks later this time they keep the car a few days and run diagnostics and replace the filler neck. Get the car back three weeks later CES back on. Same problem - small evap leak. Take it back to dealership and its now out of warranty due to mileage but they are nice enough to cover it and give me a loaner. This time they keep the car for three weeks! The service dept tells me they called in GM Engineering because they could not figure out the problem. FML. They replace the purge solenoid and road test the car for 200 miles. No issues. Give the car back to me and two days later CES light BACK ON! Same small evap leak. I didn't even put gas in the car. I don't get why this is such an issue they cannot resolve. So now I sit driving around with this CES light on waiting on the dealership to get me loaner so they can take it back. The dealership told me 2 days after I last brought mine in they had another Camaro come in with the exact same issue. DO WE NEED A RECALL ON THESE CARS? I mentioned to them about it being a lemon and maybe getting another car or them buying it back and their only response is trying to get me trade it in and add another 5 years on for payments. I could trade it in, but that just seems pointless to me. I WANT MY CAR FIXED. I hope someone from CHEVROLET reads this and gets someone at Serra Chevrolet in Centerpoint, Alabama to fix my ride or do a recall or give me a 2012 Imperial Blue Camaro V6 with NO CES LIGHT. Sorry I had to vent, I am so frustrated.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Most times if it is an emission related problem (like this should be) it should be covered for 8 years.

Do you overfill your gas tank (i.e. round to the nearest dollar when the tank cuts you off)
No I don't. If it clicks I hang it up.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2014, 05:44 PM

If the problem happened within the bumper to bumper warranty and they attempted to fix it but its still not fixed and now out of warranty, then it will still be covered by the bumper to bumper...just because they cannot find the issue while its in warranty doesn't mean you have to take it in the rear after it falls out of warranty.

There are many things that can cause set a P0442...truthful, as some one that used to be a tech, they can straight up be a pain in the d1ck. I sure the guy working on it doesn't want it back for the same reason just as much as you don't want to take it back for the same effing problem.

Small evap leaks can be from something as simple as a little sand getting up into one of the vent tube connection joints to a bad tank pressure senor...or I have even heard about (from a co-worker) about an after market sound system installed and the installers used deck screws to hold the sub box down...the screws punctured the top of the fuel tank and would barely leak on a "smoke test" to the point where you could not see it.

It sounds like they need to drop everything out of the car and get a field engineer out there to inspect all the parts.

Edit:
As for the lemon law route....its a PITA and with as many miles on it, its probably not worth it to be honest. They give you want the car is worth, not a new car.

If I was you I would call the Customer Assistance Center and gripe to them. They will get in contact with the dealer you the CAC will more than likely give you something to keep you happy. I have seen anything from a voucher for toward merchandise to them offering to pay for month of your car payment (that is usually when there is a major repair before the first maintenance interval though).

Last edited by S.Bretz; 05-30-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Support MC & Troops

Keep us updated with what you find out, sorry that all this happened, but like S.B.. said, they are still responsible to fix the issue & stay on top of it !
We wish you the best on this.. N' don't give up

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the support. If someone can post or PM me the number to customer assistance I greatly appreciate it.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 AM

1-866-636-2273
Monday to Saturday
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page