2014 V6 Engine Whine Noise???? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

2014 V6 Engine Whine Noise????

So I was driving home from work one night about a week ago, and I noticed a noise that resembled a "supercharger whine" as I shifted through the gears. It was very noticeable in first, second and slightly less in third gear, primarily through about 3K to 4K RPM on the tachometer.

Iíve got just shy of 3800 miles on my girl and donít recall hearing this noise up until this point. I took her into the dealer last Saturday to have an oil change just to get some fresh oil running through her veins since I was out of the engine break in period of 1400 miles and wasnít sure what kind of crud/debris might have settled in the oil. Once the dealer was finished, I hit the road. I didnít notice the whine sound any moreÖuntil Monday morning on the way to work.

Two things of note

1.) I was about a half quart low on oil a just after engine break in was complete, but topped it off. When I saw that I read the ownerís manual and it said that you may see a small amount of oil loss during the break in period. After topping off the oil it didnít seem to be losing any more.

2.) I saw a little bit of shimmery flakes (metal????) on my the rag after I wiped the dipstick when I checked the oilÖnot sure what this means, but Iím sure itís not good. They didnít mention finding anything during the oil change.

I had the dealer put on the service record that I found metal flake and oil level decrease and retained a hard copy for my records.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did the mechanic/dealer say was causing the whine?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 PM

A supercharge like whine is usually something that related to the accessories.

As far as metal falkes on the dipstick.... could it have been a coating on the dipstick that wiped off? some metal in the oil during break in can be normal...usually it decreases as the break-in sets in more. Monitor it and see how it goes. You do have 5yr/100k so don't be worried too much; if there is something catastrophically wrong it will show itself soon and you will get a new engine.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 02:50 PM

I agree w/S.Bretz. Tensioner pulley or idler pulley, alt, etc.

Metal I would pull the filter and carefully look in the pleats for any signs of gold or silver shine.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM

V6's inherently have a whining noise, especially when the RPM's go up. Mine starts to get noticeably louder around 3200 rpm's.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 AM

Timing chain issue sounds like this as well....
post #6 of 8 Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM

I have a 2010 2LT. Mine has the whine, and yes I've already replaced my timing chain. I just pretend I have a supercharger and run with it. I'm at 60K miles now. The whine became more apparent to me recently when I removed the plastic engine cover.

Last edited by bandier; 10-30-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 8 Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Timing chain issue sounds like this as well....
so do we have real chains or those dang belts?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 AM

The v6 has chains....but they are prone to stretching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page