Vmax Installed - Ran into problems - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V6 Engine Discussion 3.6L LLT V6 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Vmax Installed - Ran into problems

I installed the Vmax this evening and it was an easy install like many have stated. However upon starting the car with the new TB installed - the Service Stabil Trak light came on along with the other warning lights. When driving for a bit they turned off - however my Emissions light remains on. I then checked the Owners Manual and found different possible reasons.

Anyone else have this issue before? I hooked everything up the way it was before. Could it be the Vmax TB that is defective? I haven't put the original OEM TB back on yet - will try that tmw evening to see if the issues disappear. Will the car be okay to drive till then? Any thoughts? I'd hate to bring the car to the dealership for service even though I am covered under an extended warranty.

2011 SummitWhite 2LT/RS (SOLD)
2010 Black 2LT/RS (ZLRS) (Current)
ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention - the gasket that I reused on the car was a black metal aluminum gasket. Shouldn't it be rubber or have some sort of rubber attachment along with it to secure the seal better?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

I have a V8, but none of those issues ... I don't recall adding / getting a new gasket, so I am pretty sure I used whatever was there

did you undo the battery when you did it?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
I have a V8, but none of those issues ... I don't recall adding / getting a new gasket, so I am pretty sure I used whatever was there

did you undo the battery when you did it?
No I left the battery alone. Was I supposed to unhook the battery ?

post #5 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 06:33 PM

Garage
Try taking it up to your local auto parts store. They will check the CEL code and can reset it for you.....Free.

November 2013 MOTM
post #6 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroluvr View Post
Try taking it up to your local auto parts store. They will check the CEL code and can reset it for you.....Free.
I checked online for TB gaskets and came across Fel-Pro - my gasket does not have this rubberized ring in the center. It's just flat metal/aluminum like the rest of it. See Fel-Pro gasket pic for the V6 below... Seems I am missing the rubber ring.

post #7 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 PM

Garage
Unless the gasket was damaged during removal or installation I doubt the gasket is to blame. Just because someone puts a do-dad on theirs doesn't mean the OEM is wrong.

November 2013 MOTM
post #8 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Unless the gasket was damaged during removal or installation I doubt the gasket is to blame. Just because someone puts a do-dad on theirs doesn't mean the OEM is wrong.
Although I agree with you - it just didn't make sense for a rubberized ring to not be in place. I do know that a dealership I took my car into before for service, did the TB/Injectors cleaning on it as part of service maintenance. I no longer go to that dealership due to carelessness and poor customer satisfaction due to other issues that came up before non related. Now that the light is on - I would like to think a new gasket would be the fix.

post #9 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Garage
Like I stated above, I'd just go up to the auto parts store and have them check it. They can give you the code number and description. Have them reset it and run it for a while and see if it shows back up. I have a feeling that when you unplugged the TB you may have tripped the code. Possibly a hot sensor in the TB. Besides you will have to have it reset anyway....they generally don't just go away. Had simular errors show up on my 10 SS due to low voltage on my battery from sitting all winter...got the stabiltrac errror and threw a CEL code. Stabiltrac went away like yours did went up and had the code checked....Anti knock sensor. Had them reset it, never came back. Better than throwing good money at good parts!

November 2013 MOTM
post #10 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Like I stated above, I'd just go up to the auto parts store and have them check it. They can give you the code number and description. Have them reset it and run it for a while and see if it shows back up. I have a feeling that when you unplugged the TB you may have tripped the code. Possibly a hot sensor in the TB. Besides you will have to have it reset anyway....they generally don't just go away. Had simular errors show up on my 10 SS due to low voltage on my battery from sitting all winter...got the stabiltrac errror and threw a CEL code. Stabiltrac went away like yours did went up and had the code checked....Anti knock sensor. Had them reset it, never came back. Better than throwing good money at good parts!
You are right - I'll have it checked at the auto parts store and see from there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page