V8 Horsepower - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

V8 Horsepower

The LS3 is rated in the 420's for horsepower. We all assume that this number is underated for insurance purposes.

I am not that much of a grease monkey, but I know what I want - a car with 500 hp at the wheels. I am looking for advice on how to get there, and get there smartly with some $$ left to pay for the munchkin's college (in 15 years). I am looking for any/all suggestions.

Note - Mods, if this is not the right section, feel free to place it accordingly!

Thanks in Advance!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

Cam, heads, headers/exhaust, intake, Throttlebody. You could probably get there, but I'd expect that a Cam set would be $300+, heads are going to be a K or two, headers probably about $800, intake probably about $500, and a throttle body will be a few hundred and of course, a custom tune ($450 or so). Of course, then you'll have to pay labor if you're not going to do it yourself (best to do the cam, heads, and intake all at once).
post #3 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Nicly said DEVRYN

As you stated, I too believe the LS3 is under-rated for insurance, like many many cars and trucks.

Now to get power and save money.....DO IT RIGHT. Just dont add on anything. You may damage something, or you may not, but why take the chance of wasting your money. there are pleanty of great performance shops or weekend hot rodders that work at dealerships that can help. My advice is......

1. CAM and Lifters is first!!!
2. getting air into the motor..CAI, heads, ect.
3. getting air out of the motor...headers, aftermarket exhaust
4. Tune it.

I am not saying you will get 500 to the rear end. But it may be less expensive than Turbo or supercharger, then again, it may not. Its your preference and choice. I dont like the sound of a supercharger or turbo, I like normal asperation with a big cam.

Just my opinion.

Hope you get lost of feedback cause I want to know too!!

Last edited by CamaroRep1; 01-21-2009 at 12:00 PM.

post #4 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Resident GTO nutswinger

Easiest and most reliable way to do so will be a Maggie. Not exactly cheap, but nothing is really when it comes with this motor. It's a simple bolt on, not need to tear up the engine and worry about parts compatibility and tuning the heck out of it. Just slap it on and enjoy.

A h/c/i bolt-ons setup *might* be cheaper, but how it drives depends greatly on the specs of the stuff you pick, and it will be much more of a process to put together the setup safely and getting your power goal.

2006 Pontiac GTO | Intake | Predator Tuned | Spintech Exhaust

post #5 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

I would wait to boost it until you know how well the bottoms are going to hold out. I'm sure there's someone on corvette forum that has boosted a LS3 Vette, but I would wait until someone has 25K+ trouble free miles on the LS3 before I chose to boost.
post #6 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM

I'd say a good cam, headers and tune should put you there or very close without heads. With the cam you will need springs and push rods. The lifters aren't that big of an issue stock LS7's should do fine though if you want, at less than 200$. The cam kit will be close to a grand. My cam kit (cam/dual springs/hardened seats/seals and titanium retainers) was right at 900 something. Cams alone generally run about 370ish for LS engines. Headers probably around $450-500 the market settles, right now they are high (based on G8 prices). Tune around $500. If I am not mistaken most can C6's put close to 450 to the wheels with just headers/CAI/ and tune. Vengence advertises a cam that produces up to 485 RWHP without heads. Add heads and 500 easy NA. There lies the money though. LS3 heads will outflow LS1 (cathedral port) AFR heads. So plan at least 1500 to 2500. The LS3 intake should be able to handle 500 RWHP so I would spend the money elsewhere.

Of course you could always spray it to 500 RWHP cheap too.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #7 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM

I totally agree with Devryn and Slims.

You could drop around $5000 on the car and I think you would be right where you would need to be.

Whatever you do on the intake side, definitely needs to be done on the exhaust side at the same time.

The way the LS engines respond to the smallest of modifications will really help get you there.

A small step in cam profile, intake, throttle body will really unleash the power that is just sitting on the table.

A new full exhaust will compliment that and be a definite as stated above.

If this does not get you where you need to be, then heads.

Then again, why not add head while you have the top end off!
post #8 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
I totally agree with Devryn and Slims.

You could drop around $5000 on the car and I think you would be right where you would need to be.

Whatever you do on the intake side, definitely needs to be done on the exhaust side at the same time.

The way the LS engines respond to the smallest of modifications will really help get you there.

A small step in cam profile, intake, throttle body will really unleash the power that is just sitting on the table.

A new full exhaust will compliment that and be a definite as stated above.

If this does not get you where you need to be, then heads.

Then again, why not add head while you have the top end off!
5 Grand will not break the bank!

Any specific suggestions as to brands?

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #9 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
I'd say a good cam, headers and tune should put you there or very close without heads. With the cam you will need springs and push rods. The lifters aren't that big of an issue stock LS7's should do fine though if you want, at less than 200$. The cam kit will be close to a grand. My cam kit (cam/dual springs/hardened seats/seals and titanium retainers) was right at 900 something. Cams alone generally run about 370ish for LS engines. Headers probably around $450-500 the market settles, right now they are high (based on G8 prices). Tune around $500. If I am not mistaken most can C6's put close to 450 to the wheels with just headers/CAI/ and tune. Vengence advertises a cam that produces up to 485 RWHP without heads. Add heads and 500 easy NA. There lies the money though. LS3 heads will outflow LS1 (cathedral port) AFR heads. So plan at least 1500 to 2500. The LS3 intake should be able to handle 500 RWHP so I would spend the money elsewhere.

Of course you could always spray it to 500 RWHP cheap too.
I am a little leery about the spray. I am not sure I have the budget to keep the bottle filled!

What brand cam (and kit) did you use? I want to spend the $$ the right way - once, not multiple times!

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

post #10 of 39 Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 PM

Air FLow Research for Heads
I like flowmaster exhaust but a ton of people will go with BORLA.

I am sure the big suppliers for the LS engines will continue to develop products as with the past.

FAST made some good products.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page