Synthetic vs conventional oil - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Synthetic vs conventional oil

I have ordered a 2SS/RS and, in mental preparation, I was wondering whether I should plan to use synthetic or conventional motor oil during the expected life of the high performance engine. I have read MANY MANY articles and have no real answer.

What to the readers think are the pros and cons on this issue?

Thank you for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

I will assume, like all the other performance Gen III/IV engines, it will come with Mobil 1 from the factory. I think the only ones that did not were the 4th gen F-bodys. The Corvette, GTO, etc all came with Mobil.

Either way, I'd go with Mobil 5w30 every 5k miles (if you run it hard) or whenever the DIC if you drive like a pappy.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #3 of 24 Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDawsonJr View Post
I have ordered a 2SS/RS and, in mental preparation, I was wondering whether I should plan to use synthetic or conventional motor oil during the expected life of the high performance engine. I have read MANY MANY articles and have no real answer.

What to the readers think are the pros and cons on this issue?

Thank you for any input.
Synthetic has down!! In fact that its probably going to be stamped on the oil cap. I have a 99' Z28 and I use synthetic, I'm pretty sure that the requirement for all LS engines are required to use it. And Royal Purple has been prove to actually increase rear wheel horse power if you want the best synthetic. You might not want to use it for the first couple of oil changes so that the engine can break-in properly. But if your planning on keep the car then definitely use synthetic if your just going to lease and give it back when your done, then maybe use conventional but that's it. The only time I ever used conventional is when I had carburetor car

80'berlinetta, 73'LT, 92'RS, 99'Z28...Saving for my 12' Camaro SS

Last edited by turbofireV8; 02-22-2009 at 11:32 PM.

post #4 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

The full synthetic oil is molecularly superior.....there is no comparison to any dino-oils.

post #5 of 24 Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Definitely run regular oil until everything seats correctly and broken in. Then switch over.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 PM

so what's the advantage of "breaking in" the engine on conventional oil? Why, if synthetic is so much better (which I don't disagree) not just run synthetic all the time? I managed a transportation/temporary service for a while and we finally began running synthetic and put in a second filter too; started changing oil (fully synthetic) every 15k miles....

At last--Dream HAS BECOME Reality....
post #7 of 24 Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Synthetic oil is way too slippery of a lubricant and does not allow the bearings, valves, pistons and rings, (well any metal-to-metal contact points) to make there unique microscopic grooves into each other and allow the moving parts to track straight and run smooth.

Well thats really just my theory but I do know for a fact that when you build a motor and break it in that you must not use synthetic oil or it will not break-in properly. Things I've heard old engine builders say and things I've read from two of the brand new engines I installed from GM Parts

80'berlinetta, 73'LT, 92'RS, 99'Z28...Saving for my 12' Camaro SS
post #8 of 24 Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Me SOM View Post
Definitely run regular oil until everything seats correctly and broken in. Then switch over.
kinda hard to do, being that it'll probably come with synth from the factory.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

we've always run Mobil 1 full synthetic in all of our cars and we will do that with this one.

i have heard the "run conventional oil for break-in" isn't necessary... and yes, some cars come from the factory with synthetic oil (you could get that in the Firehawks and SS's)... i haven't heard for sure if the new Camaro will or not... but as soon as we change the oil at 500 miles, it will be getting Mobil 1 no matter what.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #10 of 24 Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I will assume, like all the other performance Gen III/IV engines, it will come with Mobil 1 from the factory. I think the only ones that did not were the 4th gen F-bodys. The Corvette, GTO, etc all came with Mobil.

Either way, I'd go with Mobil 5w30 every 5k miles (if you run it hard) or whenever the DIC if you drive like a pappy.
These cars come from the factory with Mobil 1 and that is suggested. Ever since 1992, Corvettes have used Mobil 1, hell my '90 ZR-1's manual suggested synthetic, so I figure the engineers who put the car together know better than anyone else, so I'll follow what they said to the letter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page