What say you about the LS3? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

What say you about the LS3?

We all know the LS3 is a great engine, LS based engines have come a long way for sure.

But, the idiosyncrasies of a pushrod based engine make for somewhat poor marketing IMO. Why did chevy not produce an OHC engine?

People tend to think Pushrod engines are 'the devil' and are 'old'...

I personally don't mind this form of engine design, but from a pure trending perspective, OHC engines are becoming the norm while pushrods are being left behind (which is bound to happen).

Is the LS3 direct injected? If not, why not?

This thread is intended to dig deep into the GM LS3 engine not from a mechanical perspective, but from the heirarchy of the GM corporation as to why they didnt develop the LS series into an OHC motor.

Saying that its cheaper to develop pushrod engines is no excuse, ford has the cheapest sportscar on the market and it is indeed OHC (not a bad motor either).

Let's hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

I'm very happy that it's the LS3 in my Camaro.

It's not direct injected...that'll be the next gen V8, but who knows when that's gonna be in light of GM's current $$ problems. I'm sure it'll show up in the 'vettes first. I'm glad GM didn't rush a new design in there...go with what is proven to work. Also, the aftermarket is already there with LS3 parts.

When you bring up ford OHC...do you mean the 4.6? Have you ever driven a stock 4.6? It's very un-exciting, did you notice that they're still only making 315hp?...I'd MUCH rather have an LS3 and it's pushrods.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 03-02-2009 at 03:57 PM.
post #3 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Which idiosyncrasies would those be? You DO know that the cam-in-block OHV is a much later improvement over the older OHC design, right???

post #4 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I'm very happy that it's the LS3 in my Camaro.

It's not direct injected...that'll be the next gen V8, but who knows when that's gonna be in light of GM's current $$ problems. I'm sure it'll show up in the 'vettes first. I'm glad GM didn't rush a new design in there...go with what is proven to work. Also, the aftermarket is already there with LS3 parts.
True, it has its advantages.

Already tried and true, we know it works. But the same could be said about the locomotive. Sometimes if we want to innovate we have to move on.

GM could have said the same thing about the LS1 when the LT1 was the big dog back then. They could have just stuck with the LT1, but look at how amazing the LS series engines turned out after a good 10 years of evolution.

Who knows where chevy could be, imagine an LS4 Dual Overhead Cam engine.

LS bottom end with 5 valve heads and variable cam timing. Redlines at 7800 and makes 500 hp and 500 ft lbs NA with just 6.2 liters.

I would shed a tear for this...
post #5 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_in_nc View Post
Which idiosyncrasies would those be? You DO know that the cam-in-block OHV is a much later improvement over the older OHC design, right???
I understand, but from a pure technology and the masses standpoint, the OHC gets more recognition. Sad but true.
post #6 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
True, it has its advantages.

Already tried and true, we know it works. But the same could be said about the locomotive. Sometimes if we want to innovate we have to move on.
well, I think we are moving on...look at the HP #'s these engines are putting out. 10 years ago, we would have killed for a STOCK Camaro with 430hp. Just because it's still a "push rod" motor, doesn't mean it doesn't kick ass. It's not like GM's still using the same 327's and 350's from the late 60's.

Also, I know this thread is about the LS3, but GM made some strides with the V6 and that was smart. It's fast and get's great MPG, which is what's gonna sell a lot of these cars...so it's not like GM is behind the times. Ford might have an OHC, but no IRS and still using that old 5 speed.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 03-02-2009 at 04:09 PM.
post #7 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I understand, but from a pure technology and the masses standpoint, the OHC gets more recognition. Sad but true.
Yes, but your first post above is basically from the standpoint of "why is GM in the dark ages and not moving to the newer better stuff?" OHC design, especially in a multi-bank engine (like a V-anything) is less attractive from a technological & engineering standpoint on every single issue. The question, instead, is why in the world would you want GM's performance cars to move to inferior technology just because it gets more "popular recognition"???
post #8 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
^^^ BTW, this is a totally incorrect statement.
post #9 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
maybe if we actually cared what motor trend though, it would be true.

most average people couldn't even tell you what OHC stands for and actually means.

Quote:

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 03-02-2009 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's incorrect in your opinion.

Do some research on production car engines, most of them today are OHC engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page