L99 Cam Phase Limiter Kit from Comp Cams - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

L99 Cam Phase Limiter Kit from Comp Cams

Cam upgrades are a bit of a challenge with variable valve timing (VVT) because of the necessities to keep piston-to-valve clearance in check.
Usually this means your options are severely limited.

Here's some info from Comp Cams on their way of addressing this issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp Cams
The 2007 & newer GM L92 engines utilize Variable Valve Timing (VVT) controlled via cam phasers. Cam phasers are computer controlled cam gears that automatically optimize camshaft timing based on the current engine rpm. While this technology provides tremendous efficiency benefits, it presents a challenge when designing performance cams due to the wide range of valve timing movement and constantly changing piston to valve clearance. As a result the COMP Cams® engineers have developed a Cam Phaser Limiter Kit that restricts the range of cam timing movement from 50° to 20°. This modification provides the necessary valve clearance for serious performance camshafts with tighter lobe separations – while still utilizing the benefits of the VVT technology. The resulting upper-rpm gains are some of the largest we’ve ever seen from a camshaft swap without sacrificing any bottom-end or mid-range performance.
Sounds good to me!

This kit is only about $220 retail too, so it doesn't even add that much expense:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=

This specific information applies to the L92, which is the 403hp truck engine.
But I'm sure they'll have a similar kit soon for the L99.

Here's a PDF file (courtesy of CamaroZ28.com) with some more information, including cam selection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CompCamsPhaser.pdf (169.1 KB, 326 views)

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Here's an article from GM High-Tech Performance on installing this cam phaser kit in an L92:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html

And the engine dyno results after tuning:

218/232 .563/.575 114LSA cam
58hp / 16 lb-ft gain.

222/236 .566/.578 114LSA cam
69hp / 24lb-ft gain!
Dyno Chart:

Note that this was on an engine dyno, so these are all flywheel power numbers.

The bigger cam seems to be at the limits of the stock L92, so nice power gains are seen even from the smaller cam.

Here is a comparison of the two cams:
Only a 13hp / 8lb-ft difference...

And these numbers would only be improved with the addition of a F.A.S.T. intake and/or some ported heads.

post #3 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Holy phasers, Batman!!!

post #4 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Is cam advance using real time closed feedback? Meaning, are measurements of manifold air pressure, flow rate, temperature taken and then a decision is made in the ECU to advance the cam? Or, is it open loop and the computer advances the cam X amount vs RPM without computer input.

I would imagine, that cam advance that is built into the L99 does not used closed feedback or else there would be no need for the advance limiter with an aftermarket cam.

It would be neat, if someone could design a closed loop computer that would advance the cam to an optimum position in real time, with an any cam. I would imagine that, if volumetric effeciency is measured in real time that smart cam advance could work out quite well. Unless it already exists?
post #5 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure you're right in that it's open loop and sets timing according to RPM.

Closed-loop real time adjustments would be sweet.
I'd bet some aftermarket tuners are working on it.

post #6 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane5GO View Post
I'm pretty sure you're right in that it's open loop and sets timing according to RPM.

Closed-loop real time adjustments would be sweet.
I'd bet some aftermarket tuners are working on it.
Doh. I wish I knew more about the L99.

Is the cam advance mechanism similar to that on the ford inline 4 (forgot the name of the engine) It's a pretty nifty setup that runs off of oil pressure.

If the L99 cam advance isnt too complex, or if it only involves just a cam gear with a supply of oil pressure, how about we frankenstein the cam advance into the LS3.

Sounds hodgepodge but I bet someone WILL do this and gains will probably be insane. You can go from mild to wild, hell you could even have street and race settings that you could switch from inside the car allowing the user to adjust power output, kinda like a boost controller.

In fact, cams do produce "boost". Thats why VE goes past 100% on big cammed motors. Ahhh, I love this.

post #7 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM

The Comp Cams kit looks to be a move in the right direction. Eventually technology will allow the VERY best of both worlds.

If I get to he point of changing the cam the "DoD/AFM Delete Kit" looks like the direction I'd go for a "big cam"
post #8 of 53 Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting tech, Tim! Love this kind of stuff! If the cam phase limiter reduces cam phasing from 50deg to 20deg, I don't see why the total value couldn't be written out in a custom tune to utilize an even bigger cam!

post #9 of 53 Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Hmmmmm hopefully they have this stuff resolved when it comes time for me to pull the trigger. I would have much preferred the standard LS3 over the L99 for simplicity when the cam change came into play, but did not want another 6M but if they got it sorted out then that would make my decision to get the 6A alot easier to make.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #10 of 53 Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

hey guys,

We spent some time with the guys from Comp at the PRI show last December and got a good taste of the VVT system. The VVT is a dream of a setup. The system utilizes oil from the #2 cam journal to feed back towards the front timing cover. The phaser has two vaned areas that receive oil that is controlled by the main camshaft bolt. This bolt has a check valve at one end and when commanded from the actuator can control oil to appropriate cavity. The cam is in a retarded state and the phaser advances it from there. The reason for the "lock out" limiters is that when using a higher lift and longer duration camshaft you obviously getting closer to piston to valve clearances. The PCM can can control the amount if advance but the limiters ensure that even if the motor over revs OR your tuner gets a little nuts with the advance values...........you can't biff the piston.

Working with the phaser is a bit tricky and parts can go flying if you are not careful! LOL! There is also some tricks when dialing in the advance to get the most power from the package. They haven't even scratched the surface of what is to come!

We have a couple in the shop right now that we are testing some neat stuff with.

Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page