V8 vs V6???? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

V8 vs V6????

Are the only real differences between the V8 vs V6 the motor and brakes. I know there are cosmetic diffences like the front bumper section and wheels but from what I've read about it sounds as though the engines and brakes are the really the biggest difference.

What is the city MPG supposed to be on the SS with MT? All you ever read is 24 hwy MPG. I was disappointed to hear that the V6 with MT only gets 17 city since I thought I saw somewhere that the V8 MT city is 16. I was hoping the V6 would've been more like 19 - 21 city for more justification to opt for the lesser motor and be able to play the MPG card to my friends. From what I've heard the V6 is supposed to be really good but I just know that when I roll up to my friends in a new Camaro they will get really excited; then they will hear that it's a V6 and some of the air will be let out of the bubble and I'll have to start justifying why I didn't step up to the SS.

Without driving one I'm having a hard time deciding on V8 vs V6. There are a lot of reasons to go V6 especially since this will be a daily driver and I have 3 boys under the age of 10 who will probably be driving the car in the next 7 - 8 yrs. So, I'm wondering if I buy the V6 and in say 10- 15 yrs I decide I want to move up, could I just change the drivetrain and upgrade the brakes. I'm kind of comparing it to the guy that bought the '69 RS 350 because that was the best thing at the time but eventually they kick themselves for not stepping up to the plate and buying the RS/SS 396 or Z/28.

-1969 SS Convertible (real SS with factory A/C) Mariner Blue - 350/5-speed. Owned since November 1985.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/Gloss White Extended stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS | Magnaflow 3" cat-back | ADM tune (411 hp / 412 tq) | Halltech | MGW w/Race Knob | Spohn Trailing Arms | Hotchkis | TRS HID projectors | VMax ported TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 AM

i think the v-6 would be a good starter car its got 300 horses so its got the get-up and go it also depends if your going to drive it like you stole it
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Never go by official mpg numbers. get on it and try it for yourself. hey, go to Avis and rent one to decide before you order. Plus, it says 17 mpg. so you wanted 19. considering the power you get, 17 is still great.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 AM

they dont deal with the same kind of driving that you deal with
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

The suspension on the SS is upgraded as well.

With a tune and some mods, you can probably squeeze out better mpg #'s.

If in "changing the drivetrain" you're talking about swapping in a V8...it'd be cheaper just to buy an SS. But, I'm sure they'll be aftermarket parts to make the V6 go faster.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
The suspension on the SS is upgraded as well.

With a tune and some mods, you can probably squeeze out better mpg #'s.

If in "changing the drivetrain" you're talking about swapping in a V8...it'd be cheaper just to buy an SS. But, I'm sure they'll be aftermarket parts to make the V6 go faster.
Do you know what in the suspension would be upgraded? Springs? Shocks? They both have independant suspension don't they?

-1969 SS Convertible (real SS with factory A/C) Mariner Blue - 350/5-speed. Owned since November 1985.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/Gloss White Extended stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS | Magnaflow 3" cat-back | ADM tune (411 hp / 412 tq) | Halltech | MGW w/Race Knob | Spohn Trailing Arms | Hotchkis | TRS HID projectors | VMax ported TB
post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Do you know what in the suspension would be upgraded? Springs? Shocks? They both have independant suspension don't they?

I'm not positive, but I would imagine shocks/springs/swaybars are all upgraded. It might also be lower...not sure though.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 05-12-2009 at 09:24 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
The base suspension is FE2, the SS Suspension is FE3. The SS has stiffer springs and sits lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page