Need some clarification please - - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Need some clarification please -

Exhaust mods are on my list. All I have done to my current car(s) is replaced the factory muffler.

What is the difference between "cat-back" and long tube headers? Do the headers incorporate the catalytic converter? Also, will long tube headers pass California emissions?

Thanks to any and all!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

if u are worried about it being legal u need to make sure that u buy products that are 50 state legal. headers are basically the pipes that go from the engine to the cat, and usually does not include it. a cat-back system is just what it sounds like, it is all the pipes and mufflers after the cat, so it does not include the cat. if u are going to change it all then go with a hiflow cat as well, but make sure it is all 50 state legal and u shouldnt have any problems

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member

LT headers are just that, Headers only, Like on my Vette I got the LTs then a X-pipe that May or may not have the Cats Incorporated in them,then after that the rest of the Exhaust,

Cat back would be a Bolt on System From the Cat to the Back of the car.

'Winning'

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So headers go to the cats, then cats go to mufflers. So I will be making 2 upgrades. Three if I change the mufflers. Thanks!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post

Also, will long tube headers pass California emissions?

Thanks to any and all!
If they are legal in CA, they will have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) number imprinted on the aftermarket part certifying that its legal.

That being said, as long as you keep the catalytic converter on and there is no check engine light you could still pass smog as some smog techs don't look closely enough to check for the CARB #. It would be a risk you would take depending on the tech.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 AM

Not too sure about CA but in IL if you get the car custom tuned they will sometimes turn off the sensors for you so that you can always pass the testing.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

The reason it is kind of confusing is that you can purchase the exhaust in many different forms. You can buy just the long tube headers, or you can buy the headers along with the cat back system which is what I did. My system (American Racing) only went to the back axle. It did not include the mufflers and tips. That portion is called axle back. Axle back includes the mufflers and the tips. I think you can also buy the whole system from the headers to the tips. I used the stock axle back with my headers and cat back and it sounds awesome. I was very suprised at how much difference the headers and cat back made the car sound using the stock mufflers. It saved me some money by not buying new mufflers.

2SS/RS/M6/RJTC/Black Hockey stripes & Ralley Stripes/Ground effects/window tint/American Racing long tube headers/ cat back exhaust/ competition cam/ Hennessey cold air intake/Phantom wheels.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Some of the kits you see out there, Kooks as an axample, offer you tthe pipes between the Headers and the mufflers with or without cats.

Kooks makes some nice headers. Alot of the CTSV guys are running the Kooks headers with Corsa exhaust.

I am not a huge Corsa fan, but to each his own.

I would suggest, some Long tube headers and a muffler delete system; to start.

I know what your goal is, so this would be a good base to get you there. I would possibly add a REAL x-pipe.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page