Kooks or Stainless works ? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Kooks or Stainless works ?

So I have been wondering about what exhaust to put on a new 5thgen.

Everyone knows you pay for what you get when it comes to Headers and if you want quality then you go stainless and who other than Kooks offers a stainless proven longtube ?

Kooks has something for all aplications and can piece together an exhaust system for you in no time . There headers have 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 primaries and and there catted or off road Xpipe are designed to work GREAT with there Headers and there own personal kooks mufflers. If you like you can go with someone like Borla , Corsa and someone else as in a muffler choice.

It all depends on what sound you are wanting when it comes to picking the right application. I want agression and I want to be heard.

IF I could piece together an exhaust system I would get longtubes , Catted Xpipe and as for the muffler thats a question yet to be filled.

Now as for Stainless works we have all heard the mean SS2 that Camaro5 member TagUrIt will own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqZ8...layer_embedded

His car has a system that has been tested and proved by Stainless work.

IT HAS MONSTROUS 2 INCH PRIMARY TUBES, LASER CUT PORT MATCHED HEADER FLANGES, TUNED 4 INTO ONE COLLECTORS, HIGH FLOW LARGE BODY SS CATS AND A HUGE 3" X PIPE AND FULL 3" FLOW THROUGH EXHAUST AND MUFFLERS.

I e-mailed and asked SW what his car has on it thats how I got the info up above.

2inch primaries ? 3inch pipe ? Wow

Kooks uses 1 7/8 primaries on there 2010 application.
I would think 2inch primaries are for applications that have high HP but with the numbers SW got out of there exhaust it has me wondering.
Cant you go to large on primaries and lose low end torque?

Who would yall go with if money wasnt really something you were worried about ( I know thats not often but come on lets say you wanna do it right and the first time around ) Would you piece an exhaust together from Kooks ?
OR get with Stainless works and put there 2inch primaries and 3 inch pipe all the way back on ?

Money is an option in my part as it is for most anyone im just wondering which would be the better BANG for performance and sound in what im looking for.

I always keep in mind $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you pay for what you get

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 06-03-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

what amazes me is how the curve just keeps going up. 2inch primaires and 3inch xpipe and pipe into mufflers.

Stock:

416hp and 349tq @ 6259rpm

(torque was greatest at 4609rpm w/ 402tq)

Catback:

423hp and 355tq @ 6255rpm

(torque was greatest at 4605rpm @ 407tq)

PEAK HP w/ HEADERS AND ALL:

440hp and 377tq @ 6123rpm

(torque was greatest at 4673rpm at 417tq)

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 06-03-2009 at 07:05 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Don't forget about American Racing.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

post #4 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM

There will be a number of quality manufacturers making a variety of products very soon, more than are on the market right now. The criteria for header selection, in my mind, will be engineering soundness (flange thickness/squareness, merge design, primary lengths, etc.), manufacturing quality and fitment (performance gains will be a function of engineering but will be hard to compare between manufacturers without back-to-back testing which is unlikely...) Personally, I like the idea of stainless steel but there is something to be said for mild steel, too, because it will cost WAY less and may be the more cost-effective approach (especially for a shadetree mechanic who doesn't mind swapping headers.) Kooks, American Racing, StainlessWorks, SLP, etc., etc., will all be offering products in this space and I suspect the best way to decide which to choose will be to study the stories posted by those who install/use their products.

As for cat-backs, I believe the main criteria are largely the same, with the addition of sound, which is largely a subjective thing (everyone has a different idea as to how their car should sound.) I say "largely" there because drone is a sound issue but it is really an engineering problem. Again, however, it will only be by reading the opinions of others who are early adopters and by listening to as many variations as possible (preferably in person) that a person will find their "ideal sound".

Just my $0.02...

Last edited by gto_in_nc; 06-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
<snip>
Kooks uses 1 7/8 primaries on there 2010 application.
I would think 2inch primaries are for applications that have high HP but with the numbers SW got out of there exhaust it has me wondering.
Cant you go to large on primaries and lose low end torque?
<snip>
What performance mods are you planning for your new Camaro???

BTW, for anyone intersted in learning a little about exhaust design, I'd suggest starting by googling "Jack Burns" -- he's probably done more empirical testing and serious exhaust engineering studies than anyone else in the nation... http://www.burnsstainless.com/

Last edited by gto_in_nc; 06-03-2009 at 09:21 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 AM

2" primaries seems kinda large. It may not be.

I would like to see a stepped header system. Start with 1 7/8" primaries, step up to the 2" tubes before it goes into the collectors. Add the high flow cats or off road pipes through an X pipe. 3" sounds good on out the back.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

You all made great points. The only thing about the stainless works system that makes me rub my head are the headers. 2inch primaries seem a little big for a Stock 5thgen Camaro IMO. 1 7/8 imo would be large enough for a stock car however who am I to say?
I'm used to the old muscle cars when dealing with Cats and etc you got me lol
otherwise exhaust is exhaust.......I do understand that you can actually go to big on pipe diameter and lose low end torque thats why these sizes are making me say hmmmmmmmm. I know they have numbers to prove it but it still leaves me wondering.

Yes there system does sound good but when it comes to headers all I have ever known friends and family to buy when it came to late model rides were Kooks. I mean come on stainless , durability and performance !!!!!!!!
When it came to Muscle cars my Dad always bought Hooker.
I dont know how you can compare kooks and stainless type of headers right now. I have never even see a stainless header.

Oh well back to the waiting and watching game lol
I know has yet to get there first camaro off the lift so whatever they come up with is yet to be said.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Hey guys, I am at awork and the home laptop has a toasted keyboard, so viewing is ok, but no typing from home.

Anywas, I cannot see, from work, whatever is posted above, if it is a video or what.

2" primaries seems like a lot, hell the headers on my 454 BBC are 2", but then again it has 230 hp 380 ft lbs stock.

Alot of us are used to small block stockers with 1/3/4" primary headers that will support up to 400-450 hp. We are already there.

Someone needs to measure the ID of the stock manifolds.....VENDORS...we need some help to understand this!!!

3" dual after manifolds seems excessive as well, and 2 3/4 would probably be better, but typically that is an odd size.

I too think a stepped header would be nice.... tri-step, not tri-y.

Anyone know the exhaust port size of an LS3? That is where you should start. It should at least match. Of course with porting, wer will need a tad larger starting size.

So let's say 2" to 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" with a 2 1/2" or 3" collector.

When deciding on exhaust, you need to determine how much power you want to make as well. It needs to make your intended goal.

Stainless and Mandrel bent system is a PRIORITY.

I have heard a SLP loadmouth and I love it.
I LOVE my flowmasters.

Whatever mufflers you go with, I would suggest a glassless muffler, especially if you are spending $1000 or more on the system.

I just installed a Corsa Catback system on the trailblazer I6 and the fit and finish was AMAZING! (Nothing sounds like a V8 regardless of the exhaust you put on it!!!)

I would like to see an overlapping dyno chart of SW, as you may be ***** out of the whole with their system.

Sometimes you need to look at the losses and not the gains; I know that sounds weird, but it's the truth.

My advice, wait and save money. The market is about to be flooded with stuff and reviews and that will help us all.

BTW, my wife got a job. One step closer to that BLACK/BLACK 1SS.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

rough idea what kinda sounds you would get with Kooks a B&B bullets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gGTk...eature=related

'Winning'
post #10 of 12 Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 PM

I think the exhaust port size is 41.3 cm approx 1.625 or 1 5/8".

Kooks install on a LS3 Corvette

http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/kooks-ls3...-test-559.html

"Which Header Size Should you Choose?

Most of the debates on header selection have centered around the LS2 engine found in the earlier variations of the C6 ('05-'07). For the LS2, the 1-3/4-inch headers are the better choice unless you are planning on a stroker engine, a serious set of heads and camshaft, or boost. The smaller cubic inch LS2 cannot take advantage of the larger 1-7/8 inch header and will loose torque and exhaust port velocity.

However, if you have an LS3 with the larger displacement engine, the 1-7/8-inch header is by far the better choice, even if only doing the basic intake/exhaust modifications. It will produce slightly more power than the 1-3/4-inch header, and give you room to grow if you decide to add a camshaft or ported cylinder heads to your engine combination."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page