CAI OTR really better? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

CAI OTR really better?

First of all anything above $300 for a CAI is just plain stupid. Its a plastic or metal tube with a filter on it. That being said I will buy the cheapest CAI I can find.

I looked at the the claims from New Eras OTR intake and it was a whopping 18 peak hp and 19 lbs of torque for $500.

Then I looked at Texas Speed and Performances intake. Non otr. They claim 18 hp and 8 lbs of torque for $300.

So an extra $200 bills gets you maybe 10 lbs of torque?

Then you have the bwoody style CAI that grabs air from under the front bumper and relocates the wiper fluid.

They claim once again 17hp over stock for $429..plus moving your wiper reservior.

So do you think the otr and underbumper style are any better or worth the extra $200?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't bother buying one if it doesn't actually grab cool air. And I agree....I wouldn't spend much more than $300.

I'm waiting for vararam. The details aren't out yet...but here's the G8 intake details...it's a similar design. The #'s they claim are pretty impressive.

http://vararam.com/g8.html

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I wouldn't bother buying one if it doesn't actually grab cool air. And I agree....I wouldn't spend much more than $300.

I'm waiting for vararam. The details aren't out yet...but here's the G8 intake details...it's a similar design. The #'s they claim are pretty impressive.

http://vararam.com/g8.html
Yeah Im starting to lean this way as well. Thier proto-type pics made the unit look as if it might be a otr intake as well. but hard to tell with the limited pics they released.

2SS/rs A6 Cyber Grey W/ black Rally Stripes... No longer Waiting

post #4 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Im pretty sure the vararam is otr. Any word on pricing for it yet?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacidevil91 View Post
Im pretty sure the vararam is otr. Any word on pricing for it yet?
Well I just gave them a call. Nothing is definite but they said they were looking at late august for the release, he said they haven't determined any pricing but it would probably be in the neighborhood of "4 to 4 and a half". He also mentioned that there is a preorder list on C5 with a 150 preorders already and that there might be special forum pricing. Thats alot of preorders lol I wonder how long it will take to fill them.

2SS/rs A6 Cyber Grey W/ black Rally Stripes... No longer Waiting
post #6 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Tell you what bro, Im a cheap mother*****er and Texas Speed should have theirs in next week and they are the stock bottm end record holder for ls1 powered fbodies. They have proved to me that they know their ****. I can get a CAI for about $150 less almost two months eariler and maybe...maybe lose a few hp, Ill take it.

I personally think the CAI's bigges benifit is not the cold air, but the removal of the baffles that trap air in the intake. So it gets an easier route to the TB. Back in the day the lt1 and tpi motors used to pull about 5hp off an airfoil that diverted air to the twin tb blades better. Im not buying the hype until there is indisputable proof that one intake is $200 better in performance than another. It defeats the purpose of a Camaro. If I wanted $500 intakes ( you could buy a new manifold for that price) $1800 headers, $1800 cat backs $500 axle backs I would of bought a vette.

Last edited by Rodimus Prime; 07-21-2009 at 02:09 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Make your own like I did for my G8. a guy who tuned mine actually measured mine as having more flow than a OTR $350+ kit.

He was impressed. Just some plastic tubing, and huge (filter ended) S&B filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRCAI.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	2706  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 PM

I would make one that makes the mail slot functional but then again anything not stock in good ole California has to have a CARB EO #, other wise it is illegal

Proud owner of a 2005 srt-4 on less boost and heat soaked put down 372whp and 395wtq. Building my 1973 celica hopefully running before police academy starts. Can't wait to own a new car off the lot. Looking into the 1lz
post #9 of 13 Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Which is why I will never live in California....or at least not have my car registered there.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 PM

I installed my BWoody CAI last week got it off of EBAY, Let me tell you it made a world of difference SOTP and you can really hear it sucking in the air. Plus you get a great looking billet resevior not a cheap plastic one! And its a beautiful piece at that. Im greatly impressed with the quality and the performance gain, I don't know how much horsepower I actually gained, but with the car as heavy as it is id say atleast 20whp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page