How Exhaust Systems NEVER just Bolt-On the Way You Want Them To! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

How Exhaust Systems NEVER just Bolt-On the Way You Want Them To!

So i installed my Magnaflow axle-back Comp Series exhaust on my L99 a couple of weeks ago and it was a relatively easy bolt on installation. however, i noticed one side was lower than the other. Call me nit-picky but if your exhaust tips were not perfectly level on this type of car, you would be crazy not to try and level them out for that show quality appearance!

So i went to a muffler shop yesterday to see if they could try and bend and adjust it into shape, but it seems that nothing was getting them to line up! finally after an hour of messing with it the guy said the only way to fix it was to cut off the hangers and reposition them b/c the rear double hangers are creating a triangle affect making it impossible to move side to side or up and down like any other normal exhaust set up with single hangers at each position.

And now i have to go back friday and spend like $50-$100 just to get my welded on tips level!

Thanks Magnaflow! the things we do to get your 5" tips to line up that you couldn't make more user friendly! I was going to go with SLP Loudmouth but they were on backorder, and i felt like the 5" tips from Magnaflow made it look more like the Concept Camaro from the rear.

All in all, i probably should have waited for the SLP to arrive, they use the factory mid hangers behind the differential and only a single hanger at the rear... and the tips are clamp on for a wider range of adjustability! Magnaflow's set up starts in front of the differential using their hangers at midway behind the differential, which by the way is off level too, then snakes up to the tip openings with a double hanger and welded on tips.

Anyone else out there with this set up get similar problems?

UPDATE! 9/1/09: I ended up taking my car to Midas and they adjusted the exhaust for me for FREE! The guy said he was happy to work on my car since they haven't gotten one in the shop yet so they didn't charge me. Tips are perfectly aligned and symmetrical now!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 09-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM

I know what you are talking about. I had this problem when I tried to install the Magnaflow 16583. It took me over an hour after the install to get the tips how I wanted them. I had to semi clamp everything on and then my friend and I would twist, push, pull and get the tips where we wanted them. When we did, we tightened everything up. Once both sides were done we looked to see if both tips were equal and lined up. If not we just repeated the process till it was how we wanted it. Took forever and I wish it would have lined up perfectly the first time, but it looks great now.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 03:35 AM

i got the magnaflow muffler delete with 5 inch tips, car dont come in for 2 weeks, do u have picks on how they fit?

Running with the boys that are changing the Tuning game. www.OETUNING.com

Racing in a honda is like the Special Olympics.... Even if you win, your still retarted

post #4 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
So i installed my Magnaflow axle-back Comp Series exhaust on my L99 a couple of weeks ago and it was a relatively easy bolt on installation. however, i noticed one side was lower than the other. Call me nit-picky but if your exhaust tips were not perfectly level on this type of car, you would be crazy not to try and level them out for that show quality appearance!

So i went to a muffler shop yesterday to see if they could try and bend and adjust it into shape, but it seems that nothing was getting them to line up! finally after an hour of messing with it the guy said the only way to fix it was to cut off the hangers and reposition them b/c the rear double hangers are creating a triangle affect making it impossible to move side to side or up and down like any other normal exhaust set up with single hangers at each position.

And now i have to go back friday and spend like $50-$100 just to get my welded on tips level!

Thanks Magnaflow! the things we do to get your 5" tips to line up that you couldn't make more user friendly! I was going to go with SLP Loudmouth but they were on backorder, and i felt like the 5" tips from Magnaflow made it look more like the Concept Camaro from the rear.

All in all, i probably should have waited for the SLP to arrive, they use the factory mid hangers behind the differential and only a single hanger at the rear... and the tips are clamp on for a wider range of adjustability! Magnaflow's set up starts in front of the differential using their hangers at midway behind the differential, which by the way is off level too, then snakes up to the tip openings with a double hanger and welded on tips.

Anyone else out there with this set up get similar problems?
I did the SLP, and your right, we had it done, stood back and they werent prefect, just loosened it, tweeked the tips a little and we were home free. I had Magnaflow on my SRT-8 b4, and my tips never lined up perfect.

Rodney Updegrave
2011 Chrysler 300C, 1954 Cadillac Coupe De Ville,1949 Pontiac Woodie Wagon,1972 VW Beetle Roadster, 2004 Baja 25 Outlaw
www.fquick.com/rodster56

post #5 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 AM

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9s_camaro View Post
I know what you are talking about. I had this problem when I tried to install the Magnaflow 16583. It took me over an hour after the install to get the tips how I wanted them. I had to semi clamp everything on and then my friend and I would twist, push, pull and get the tips where we wanted them. When we did, we tightened everything up. Once both sides were done we looked to see if both tips were equal and lined up. If not we just repeated the process till it was how we wanted it. Took forever and I wish it would have lined up perfectly the first time, but it looks great now.
same things like me .
post #6 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Did you contact Magnaflow?

I think it would only be fair, to let them replace parts, given the chance.

It would be a win-win, since you would not have to spend more money.

You may be suprised. Just an idea.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM

most of the adjustment comes with how you tighten the exhaust, its crazy. We run into it with most/all aftermarket exhausts (corsa, magnaflow, ect)
post #8 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Finished the Comp axle back system on my LS3 today....it was not totally painless but it was not as bad as what it sounds like yours was! I started on the passenger side, was going to cut it 13.75 inches back from the mid hanger as it stated, however there was a typical collapse area in the pipe due to the their bender so I cut it another .75" back to remove it. Everything slide on nicely. Did notice that the tip was gapped wider to the middle of the car but not hitting the outside edge. Cut the drivers side exactly on the 12.5" mark as the instructions stated, yet when I installed that tip stuck out way to far and would not align properly. After analyzing the geometry, and determining there was ample adjustment in the two Magnaflow pieces, I measured back to 13.75" (same as pass side) and cut it off there. Once I did that, everything fit together much better. However I did notice that on this side it had the same gap issue, close to the outside and larger gap to the middle of the car. After jacking with it a bit, I tossed in the towel, set the car on the ground off the two post rack to inspect. I stood back a bit from the car and looked center on....since I installed them I could tell there was a difference, however I am not sure if the wife will when she sees them...

I agree though that there should be a bit more flexibility in the units that would allow you to adjust it to perfection. For the kind of coin they are getting for these kits, perfection is what should be expected. I see full dual SS exhaust kits for early model Camaro's, with x-pipe and mufflers for less than $500....and just part of a kit cost close to that for the new one's...price we pay for early adopters!

SIM 2SS RS LS3 , M6, blk leather, 20" Polished, black Hockey and Hood Stripes Magnaflow X-pipe and comp axle back, waiting for Vararam CAI, and prices for headers to drop

post #9 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM

All I can say is 30 mins later : Solo Performance. Mach X cat back bolted up , done no issues.....

very pleased...
post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 PM

That is the most annoying thing in the world. I redid the exhaust in my GC (yeah I know not that relevant to the thread) and the **** thing was crooked. It took me bout 10 tries to get it the way i wanted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page