Getting New SLP Exhaust...But do I need a custon Tune???? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Getting New SLP Exhaust...But do I need a custon Tune????

I'm having a complete exhaust replacement tomorrow from SLP and I'm wondering if a custom tune is needed? I asked the SLP guys and they assured me I didn't, but I would like to hear first hand from anybody out there that has done the same swap-out and what they experienced. The system includes: Ceramic coated long headers, X-Pipe, Loud mouth II's. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

2010 Camaro's are GM's best idea yet!!!!
2SS/RS Black on Black, M6 Sunroof
2012 Summit White ZL1, M6, Sunroof
"Thank you Champion Chevrolet!!!!" #1588[

Last edited by PNYSLAR; 07-18-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Ken

I bought the Preaditor from FWD Performance in Spring Tx.
They did a before and after Dyno on my SS and said that after I do the Exhaust and CAI, it would be time to do a custome tune.

The Preditor could be used so I could go back to stock. That way there would be no warranty issues.

After the bolt on mods comes the tune for optimium performance.

Thats my plan.

SS/RS, M6, MGW Shifter, GM GFX
post #3 of 11 Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I bought the Preaditor from FWD Performance in Spring Tx.
They did a before and after Dyno on my SS and said that after I do the Exhaust and CAI, it would be time to do a custome tune.

The Preditor could be used so I could go back to stock. That way there would be no warranty issues.

After the bolt on mods comes the tune for optimium performance.

Thats my plan.
I have always wondered about the return to stock option. That helps!!!
Thx for the input
Happy Driving

post #4 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 AM

i would imagine that a tune would optimize your car for max advantage of the long tube headers... and if you have a cai, you almost def will benefit from the maximized air flow, both intake and exhaust
post #5 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

long tube headers will throw engine codes, so yes you will need a tune to disable them. SLP sells the diablosport predator with their own custom tune for headers and intake... you can go with that or save $100 and buy a regular predator programmer and get a custom tune to disable the codes.

or you can go get it dyno tuned for the most effective way to optimize the car for the new parts.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
long tube headers will throw engine codes, so yes you will need a tune to disable them. SLP sells the diablosport predator with their own custom tune for headers and intake... you can go with that or save $100 and buy a regular predator programmer and get a custom tune to disable the codes.

or you can go get it dyno tuned for the most effective way to optimize the car for the new parts.
I've never used the predator before so I have to ask a rookie question. Is this unit "idiot" proof and can anybody add the tune or is this something best left to those that do it for a regular job?

post #7 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYSLAR View Post
I've never used the predator before so I have to ask a rookie question. Is this unit "idiot" proof and can anybody add the tune or is this something best left to those that do it for a regular job?
All I know is that 54inches doesn't like them.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
yea they are pretty easy to use.

but you gotta go and check out the diablosport forum to learn how to use it to its full potential... meaning there is more to it than just installing the tune which is very easy.

to really maximize your gains you need to drive the car and data log with the tool, go back home analyze the data and adjust your tune accordingly.

there is a thorough step by step on how to do all this on their forum.

if you don't want to do all that, you could always just get it dyno tuned, but if there isn't one near you, the programmers are your best other option.

also note, a quality tuner will tune the car based on how it drives on the street as well; not just on the dyno... you can make all the hp possible but if it rides like crap at part throttle, its not worth it especially for a car that is driven daily.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 07-19-2010 at 02:01 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, picked up the car yesterday and man does she sound great!!!! The increase in horse power is fantastic. I can't believe the difference the exhaust swap has made. I noticed that I have a vibration coming from under the seats and I believe it's the cross member that the pipes are contacting. Has anybody experienced the same thing? It will be a easy fix to add spacers for clearance and not sure if there is a aftermarket cross member out there that would proivide the gap I require. Again, anybody with information they can provide would be appreciated.
Glenn

post #10 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, picked up the car yesterday and man does she sound great!!!! The increase in horse power is fantastic. I can't believe the difference the exhaust swap has made. I noticed that I have a vibration coming from under the seats and I believe it's the cross member that the pipes are contacting. Has anybody experienced the same thing? It will be a easy fix to add spacers for clearance and not sure if there is a aftermarket cross member out there that would proivide the gap I require. Again, anybody with information they can provide would be appreciated.
Glenn
it's definitely hitting the crossmember, i had the same problem when i installed my 3" x-pipe for my headers.

did you have it done at a shop? i would suggest going back and having them loosen all the clamps, then jack the exhaust as high as it will go in the driveshaft tunnel, then retighten all the clamps... this will ensure that you do not have any clearance problems. be sure to look under there when they lift the car up, see if there is clearance between the two, if the exhaust is laying on the crossmember, you know they didn't do the above!

ohh and make sure they didn't install the x-pipe upside down! i had fun explaining to the mechanic installing mine he was putting the cats on the wrong side and the x-pipe was bass-ackwards!

if that doesn't work, your going to have to get some spacers.

Gone but not Forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page