About to make the switch. Few questions about mods - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

About to make the switch. Few questions about mods

Well, I'm about to make the switch from a mustang to the camaro (I know, I know, I feel ashamed I had the blue oval in the first place but the 5th gen wasn't out yet). I had a few questions about mods though. It seems modding the camaro and modding the mustang are just a tad different. First off, from what I gather when doing exhaust work, the cats are part of the headers? On the mustang their part of either the x or h pipe. Does anyone know if the Borla headers have cats? I love the sound of borla exhausts. Second, I've seen that GMPP has shorty headers. Now on the mustang any headers need a new tune, is that the same way with the camaro? Also, if i had the GMPP headers installed by my dealership, would they re-tune the car, and would the powertrain warranty still be intact? Any idea of what to expect in terms of power gains with an intake and full exhaust work? Are there any independent studies that have been done on intakes or exhaust systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats on making the jump. It really shouldn't be all that different from the mustang in terms of mods.

Cats are NOT part of the headers...but long tubes will NOT bolt up to the stock cats...so you have to replace them w/ hi-flows (most header co's have a kit w/ everything). Shorties will bolt up to the stock cats, and from what I've seen, do not need a tune (because you're not moving/replacing the cats)...but obviously gains are not as good as a good set of LT's. LT's will require a tune.

GMPP dealer installed shorty headers will keep your warranty intact.

A GOOD intake, tune, LT's & good exhaust should gain you around 50 or so hp. Maybe a little more or less depending on which ones you get. But also you'll see MUCH better throttle response and obviously your car will sound much meaner.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 08-05-2010 at 10:18 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Congrats on making the jump. It really shouldn't be all that different from the mustang in terms of mods.

Cats are NOT part of the headers...but long tubes will NOT bolt up to the stock cats...so you have to replace them w/ hi-flows (most header co's have a kit w/ everything). Shorties will bolt up to the stock cats, and from what I've seen, do not need a tune (because you're not moving/replacing the cats)...but obviously gains are not as good as a good set of LT's. LT's will require a tune.

GMPP dealer installed shorty headers will keep your warranty intact.

A GOOD intake, tune, LT's & good exhaust should gain you around 50 or so hp. Maybe a little more or less depending on which ones you get. But also you'll see MUCH better throttle response and obviously your car will sound much meaner.
Ok, so I've been looking around a little more and I found an American Racing full exhaust set up (headers, cats, x pipe, muffler, the works). The video on the website said it was a "non-tuned" version. Does that mean it might not need a tune? It wouldn't make sense to me, it seems like it would throw codes instantly. I'm guessing that GMs warranty is the same as ford's where simple boltons that don't need a tune won't effect it but the second you change the tune, bye bye warranty. Anyway around that?

post #4 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026 View Post
Ok, so I've been looking around a little more and I found an American Racing full exhaust set up (headers, cats, x pipe, muffler, the works). The video on the website said it was a "non-tuned" version. Does that mean it might not need a tune? It wouldn't make sense to me, it seems like it would throw codes instantly. I'm guessing that GMs warranty is the same as ford's where simple boltons that don't need a tune won't effect it but the second you change the tune, bye bye warranty. Anyway around that?
the ARH headers as will any LT header will eventually throw an engine code at you. you do not NEED a tune, but if you want to prevent that light from coming on, it is HIGHLY recommended

the only way around the warranty with a tune is if you have a programmer. with the programmer you can revert to stock anytime you need to go to the dealer for warranty issues. it usually takes about 100 miles for the CEL to pop up after installing the headers, depending on how hard you drive afterwards.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
the ARH headers as will any LT header will eventually throw an engine code at you. you do not NEED a tune, but if you want to prevent that light from coming on, it is HIGHLY recommended

the only way around the warranty with a tune is if you have a programmer. with the programmer you can revert to stock anytime you need to go to the dealer for warranty issues. it usually takes about 100 miles for the CEL to pop up after installing the headers, depending on how hard you drive afterwards.
I guess they would just look past the fact that theres LT headers and an intake on there. "Nothing to see here" lol. I'm sure it would depend on the dealership too.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
t
not really, if you get a dyno tune, just make sure your tuner keeps a copy of your stock tune...it can be flashed back anytime. Most tuners will do this for free if needed.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Take a look at Texas-Speed. They have a complete kit from headers to exhaust tips for a great price. I went with there LT and high flow cats and could not be happier. Those with Magnaflows, a K&N and a Trinity (and tune) and got 43 hp to the wheels. I still need to go back and finish my tune (the Trinity needed to be updated). I am hoping to get 420 to the wheels.

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page