Pfadt Sport Suspension
CAI with ADM Race Scoop and Corsa Cat Back Exhaust
Kooks 1 7/8" Jet Hot Coated LT headers and hi-flo cats
SCT X3 Custom tuner with Jannetty Tune
LSR Short Throw Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM

I have a Borla catback/K&N filter on my SS-M6. To me any performance increase is somewhat subjective (seat of the pants) since I have no dyno results. I would guess maybe 15-20 HP increase, which you may or may not notice. To me the real benefit is the exhaust sound, which you WILL notice, especially when you get on the gas. As for brand, Corsa is fine. I've had one on an older Corvette and it was great. Enjoy your car
post #3 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

You will definitely see some gains w/ hi-flow cats over stock cats. I know SOLO makes them (bolts on, no cutting). Their dyno tests showed 22hp/25tq at peak. They should also sound better as well. Worth doing IMO...unless you can see yourself doing LT headers also at some point, if that's the case, just wait and get them w/ the headers because they are different. Most header companies make hi-flow cats that fit w/ the headers.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 10-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Wow, 22hp for hi-flow Cats alone?
That's awesome, if that is true, I am buying.

2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Pfadt Sport Suspension
LSR Short Throw Shifter
post #5 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

save a little bit more money and buy a quality header system w/ 1-7/8" primaries that has high flow cats.

if your doing the Corsa cat-back, then your best Header would be either:
ARH short kit - $1450
Kooks - $1350
Stainless Works - $1200

the quality on all of them are about the same. i have the ARH standard kit which includes a 3" x-pipe, and i like it, it was $1750. you don't need this one since your cat-back already has the x-pipe.

also, keep in mind you will need to get on a dyno and have the car tuned after you get headers. not sure if just installing the high flow cats would throw any codes... my guess is they would. so either way you go (just hi-flow cats or headers w/ cats) you would need $250-500 for a custom tune.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 10-01-2010 at 01:34 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Yikes! Ive seen this discussion on so many forums. You will gain little to nothing with a cat back system.....only sound. Our cars are equipped with a very well flowing 2.5 dual exhaust system. If a better sound is all you want to achieve, yes, get a cat back..........or, to save cash, just swap out mufflers. If you want hp gains, get long tube headers and cats. And if you have lots of cash just burning hole in your pocket, get a complete system for both hp gain and sound.
Might I suggest getting the headers w/cats and a good tune. Then see how it goes from there.

Bill

2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6, Black leather, Sun roof, OBX Headers, Halltech cai, Mike Norris tuned.

Avenging Orange, 34 years of not buying into the hype!
post #7 of 15 Old 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Yikes! Ive seen this discussion on so many forums. You will gain little to nothing with a cat back system.....only sound. Our cars are equipped with a very well flowing 2.5 dual exhaust system. If a better sound is all you want to achieve, yes, get a cat back..........or, to save cash, just swap out mufflers. If you want hp gains, get long tube headers and cats. And if you have lots of cash just burning hole in your pocket, get a complete system for both hp gain and sound.
Might I suggest getting the headers w/cats and a good tune. Then see how it goes from there.

Bill
the OP was asking how if hi-flow cats are worth it....but anyway, a good cat-back system WILL give you noticeable gains (mostly because of the X-pipe.)...you'll feel a little extra power and better throttle response, 6th gear even becomes a little more usable. I don't have exact dyno #'s, but know plenty of people who have various cat-backs installed and all were VERY happy w/ the results.

If a better sound is all you want, dont even bother with a cat-back...save your $$ and just get an axle-back.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
post #8 of 15 Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I want power and sound.
I am concerned headers would be too loud for me. I have heard the Corsa cat back and love it, but add that to headers and hi-Flo cats, and that might be way too much for me.
Are certain headers louder than others?

Pfadt Sport Suspension
LSR Short Throw Shifter
post #9 of 15 Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
I want power and sound.
I am concerned headers would be too loud for me. I have heard the Corsa cat back and love it, but add that to headers and hi-Flo cats, and that might be way too much for me.
Are certain headers louder than others?
LT headers will all pretty much sound the same...it's what's after the headers that controls the sound differently. I have the full American Racing system (headers, cats, exhaust) and it's not too loud at all....maybe even a little too quiet at idle.

If you think the corsa system will be too loud, I'd try and hear it on a car w/ headers if possible (try and find one in your area to hear in person).

Quote:
post #10 of 15 Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I think I will drive it for a few months with the Corsa cat back, and if I think it isn't too loud, I will consider LT headers, and then maybe hi Flo cats.

Pfadt Sport Suspension
LSR Short Throw Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page