L99 cam question - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

L99 cam question

I'm probobly going to be doing a cam in my car and I had two questions for those of you with cams in your L99's. I'd like a cam that has nice sound but nothing too crazy and good torque numbers(I'm assuming this would be some kind of stage 2 cam). I'd be happy with numbers around 425. I'm at 376/395 now so I dont think this would be too difficult to accomplish. So the question is can anyone recommend a cam for this application? The second question is do you have to put a higher stall converter in when going with a level 2 or level 3 cam or is it alright to leave the stock converter? This would probobly be a mod in the future but I'd like to use the car for a while without a high stall converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ

Most stage II cams are about the same lift and lobe separation. the one thing i can tell you is that you will definitely want to put a higher stall converter. If not it will surge at stop lights and make it kinda unpleasant to drive. I have driven cammed L99's also and even with a 3000 stall sometimes it still slightly surges.

BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
[email protected], 1.455 60'
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

tuned properly, the car really shouldnt surge, but the larger the cam, the more oppertunity you give up on the low end.

I like how the LS3/L99s run cam only on a 231/236 112 cam. Yes you can drive it with a stock converter, but the car will like it much more with an aftermarket converter.

Your heads breath great so dont get BS'd into going a needing to switch heads. At best, you can have them ported and polished, but out of the box they need nothing.

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]

post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
tuned properly, the car really shouldnt surge, but the larger the cam, the more oppertunity you give up on the low end.

I like how the LS3/L99s run cam only on a 231/236 112 cam. Yes you can drive it with a stock converter, but the car will like it much more with an aftermarket converter.

Your heads breath great so dont get BS'd into going a needing to switch heads. At best, you can have them ported and polished, but out of the box they need nothing.
What would you say is the "tightest" conveter thats being used for the L99 right now? I want to keep as much driveability as I can with the car.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

That's kind of tough to answer because there is alot of owner preferance that should account when selecting the stall. Im a manual shift person, but alot of guys like the 3200 series with stock gears. I strongly suggest you take your time selecting and take a ride in several cars with differant range converters.

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ

ur right Tampa, at the time the tune it had wasnt worth a crap

BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

You have my exact hp and torque numbers as you speak when I had nothing but Full exhaust , Cai and Tune done to my L99. Now My car has the ADM stage2 Cam and its a little heavy on the exhaust end of the Cam you might say. Its a Cam that was intended for a manual car and with the factory converter it wanted to pull when stopping at a redlight. Then I added a 3200 Stall converter and it is now 98% Stock feeling while just driving normally.
it has maybe a 1 second stall before it takes off. performance is awsome , gas mileage isnt affected one bit and the drivability can be used for a everyday driver 100%

I recommend a 3200 stall converter

if you go with the stall have a Trans cooler added at the same time cheap insurance for a Tranny TRUST ME

Since you want to Cam your L99 contact either TEXASSPEED or MASTMOTORSPORTS they are big into L99 Cam's. Go with a 3200 lb stall are Black10 said the 3000 stall still gives you a little serge. The 3200 leaves no serge and it feels dam near stock.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/

if you need any more help pm as I would gladly answer any more questions

a stage 2 cam in a L99 will throw u up around 30 to 40 hp depends on the car.

OH AND DONT DO A CAM WITHOUT A STALL TRUST ME THE Surging THING IT USUALLY DOES IT WHEN YOU COME TO STOP LIGHTS OR STOP SIGNS AND THAT ISNT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO EXPIERENCE. When it needs that stall it has a mind of its own and wants to go especially when you dont want it to.

Mine would come to a stop and then the throttle would jump and the car would move Fwd with me fighting it with the brakes then it would want to stall. Now it doesnt.

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 01-13-2011 at 11:25 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ

^ great advice

BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good advice. Ive decided to do a 3200 stall but I'm torn on which converter to go with. I want to keep the car as streetable as possible and I know what a difference there can be in the feel of different converters. From what Ive heard so far yank is a tight converter but Ive been told to look into circle d as well. Soes anyone have any input as far as what brand is good to go with?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbrut View Post
Thanks for all the good advice. Ive decided to do a 3200 stall but I'm torn on which converter to go with. I want to keep the car as streetable as possible and I know what a difference there can be in the feel of different converters. From what Ive heard so far yank is a tight converter but Ive been told to look into circle d as well. Soes anyone have any input as far as what brand is good to go with?
I've been very happy with my Circle D. I drive my car every day, and the ride is very manageable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page