Borla Exhaust Systems - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Borla Exhaust Systems

Im getting ready to put an exhaust system on and I know I'm going with Borla but I'm indecisive between the options. Course Ive done my research but listening on a computer is a little different than in person and I've yet to find them in my area. Can anyone suggest one over the other between the "S Type" and the "ATAK" exhausts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 PM

Garage
I have the "S" type and it sounds better than the Atak. I live here in Ca close to the Borla HQ and they used my car (L99) to do some R&D. Just recently they asked me to come in to set up the Atak on it to see what the difference would be. The installer and shop supervisor and I all agreed that the "S" sounded the same if not better than the Atak. Now that is on the L99. Either way I dont think you can go wrong. Good Luck

2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, Rear Trailing Arms, Rotors, End Links, Tunnel Brace, Rear Tie Rods, 1G Suspension Package, Stage 3 CNC ported heads, R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk and Dome LED Lighting, RED B/A Pedals, Ported TB, 621RWHP/584TQ
post #3 of 16 Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseh316 View Post
Im getting ready to put an exhaust system on and I know I'm going with Borla but I'm indecisive between the options. Course Ive done my research but listening on a computer is a little different than in person and I've yet to find them in my area. Can anyone suggest one over the other between the "S Type" and the "ATAK" exhausts?
I've actually had both systems on my car, and each has their strengths. The S has a deeper rumble, but also has more drone because of the lower frequency. The ATAK is the more aggressive if the two, and just sounds meaner IMO (it's the one I kept). It really comes down to the kind of sound you want.

Mine is also an L99.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM

I am getting a LS3 2SS and I have in my future Borla Long Tubes with the Borla ATAK. It is still a little over a month off but wanted to through in my 2 pennies.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 PM

I have the Borla touring cat back with Kooks LTs and high flow cats. I like it alot. It has a drone when the AFM kicks in.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!
post #6 of 16 Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

I have American Racing longtubes , And Borla S type exhaust.

IF you have a L99 if you dont get AFM tuned out you will get a anoyying sound when AFM kicks in.

S type has a nice deep Tone with some drone throughout the exhaust note.

Atak reminds me a lot of Corsa its more Raspy and has a higher pitch.

I think S type has more drone however imo I like the drone.

Drone can go away if you know how to drive the car and make it go away.

its all in the throttle.

listen to sound clips on youtube I say go with s type
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

i have the s type. ...i love it. get the long tube headers they offer also.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #8 of 16 Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Garage
S type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I have American Racing longtubes , And Borla S type exhaust.

IF you have a L99 if you dont get AFM tuned out you will get a anoyying sound when AFM kicks in.

S type has a nice deep Tone with some drone throughout the exhaust note.

Atak reminds me a lot of Corsa its more Raspy and has a higher pitch.

I think S type has more drone however imo I like the drone.

Drone can go away if you know how to drive the car and make it go away.

its all in the throttle.

listen to sound clips on youtube I say go with s type

I totally agree. i just had my aftermarket air intake, ARH long tube headers(no Cats) and borla s type installed and dynno tunned. Let me just say wow wow. I love the deeper rumble of the s type. My tune showed 450 rwhp and 500 torque. My friend has the atak and as said above is higher pitch and raspy. But it's all about what you like. I like the deeper sound.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I've actually had both systems on my car, and each has their strengths. The S has a deeper rumble, but also has more drone because of the lower frequency. The ATAK is the more aggressive if the two, and just sounds meaner IMO (it's the one I kept). It really comes down to the kind of sound you want.

Mine is also an L99.
This pretty well sums it up. I am looking for a local to help us with a video of the S-Type but here is a good one we shot of the ATAK.

My personal favorite is the Stainless Works Retro Chambered. It is both deep and aggressive. It is hard to tell because we had to turn down the sensitivity on the microphone, but it is actually louder and obviously deeper than the ATAK. Drone is very minimal.

post #10 of 16 Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Garage
noticed the johnson county tag, where you from in Ks? I live in Ottawa,Ks. Im ordering my camaro soon and would like to find future camaro cruise friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page