2 Month break in for mufflers? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

2 Month break in for mufflers?

My uncle had a new exhaust installed on his Audi a while back and the shop where he had it done told him that the mufflers would break in over two months before sounding their optimum. He said he didn't really notice a change until about a month later when he realized it sounded much better than it had originally.

I'm not crazy about the stock mufflers on my L99. But my question is, should I wait and see if they break in a bit and maybe sound a little better? I've only had the car a week, and maybe put 200 miles on it. I'm just not sure how much merit the fact they need to be broken in has, or whether this would apply to the stock mufflers as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I have never heard of them having to be broken in. Wierd.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #3 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 AM

They deepen a hair, not much though. Just scrap it. Get a decent cat back!

post #4 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

where's that bs flag? oh here we go...

i agree, just get a new catback because the stock muffs will never be loud enough i love my SLP loudmouth (technically it's an axle back but it sounds killer, was easy to install, and cheaper than most catbacks.)

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #5 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

its not BS...esp with flowmasters... they clearly state they will get better as they age...

now the OEM and other mufflers..I have no Idea...
post #6 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm thinking of just doing something simple. Might try and find a shop around that will just cut out the mufflers and replace them. I want to keep the stock tune, for the warranty business and my reluctance to deal with handhelp tuners, so I'm worried about the AFM kicking in and making any custom exhaust I get sound ricer when the 4 cylinders cut out. I'm also trying to keep it subtle, so no roars, but I do want my car to turn heads and let people know there's a V8 inside. Also worried about interior cabin noice levels. Ugh, so much to consider!
post #7 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHow View Post
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm thinking of just doing something simple. Might try and find a shop around that will just cut out the mufflers and replace them. I want to keep the stock tune, for the warranty business and my reluctance to deal with handhelp tuners, so I'm worried about the AFM kicking in and making any custom exhaust I get sound ricer when the 4 cylinders cut out. I'm also trying to keep it subtle, so no roars, but I do want my car to turn heads and let people know there's a V8 inside. Also worried about interior cabin noice levels. Ugh, so much to consider!
Just so you know when the afm kicks in it is going to sound terrible with certain cat backs but you have options. There are resonators on the stock exhaust to cut back on the sound of the afm when it kicks in. So you can go with an axle back exhaust like the slp loudmouth thats offered through gm which sounds pretty mean. If you go with a cat back corsa sounds good and has those resonators built into the system so the afm wont sound as bad as it will with out them but you will still hear it. This is what I was going to do originally but I opted for the kooks full exhaust( headers high flow cats xpipe and mufflers) and a tune. Supposedly the tune will void the drivetrain warranty but I think its well worth it just for the transmission tune. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.. i hope this helps.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

The one exhaust people are buying and not having a hard time with the sound of cylinder deactivation is Corsa.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
its not BS...esp with flowmasters... they clearly state they will get better as they age...

After some miles on my Magnaflow's they are livening right up!!

And I hope they keep goin' with that!!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #10 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM

The only reason mufflers get louder with age is the packing blowing out. Traditional Flowmasters have NO packing, so that's bs. The stock Camaro resonators have packing, the mufflers do not. The mufflers work by certian size slots internally tuned to cancel the bad frequencies. That is why the stock mufflers are so large. They are helmholtz resonators, kinda like blowing accross a soda bottle and hearing a sound. That sound helps to cancel out the harsh exhaust noises. Packing type mufflers just absorb the sound and get louder with age.

2010 Rally Yellow 2SS M6 with Black rally stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page