Need Help Picking Out A Cam. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Need Help Picking Out A Cam.

I need some help on what cam to get. I grabbed a GM Performance Parts Catalog and found one in there and was leaning more towards that one. P/N 88958733, it states that it adds 50hp. http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/88958733.html

If you guys can help me out and give me your thoughts. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

2009 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Grand Sport
2010 2SS/RS Black & IOM Modifications

Last edited by MValdez17; 03-14-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anybody? Come on you Cam guys lol.

2009 Yamaha R1
post #3 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Sorry, I have no clue, but I know there's a couple of guys on here that have done or plan to upgrade the cam, so just keep bumping this thread until the right person sees it.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfaholic View Post
Sorry, I have no clue, but I know there's a couple of guys on here that have done or plan to upgrade the cam, so just keep bumping this thread until the right person sees it.
Thanks. Well BUMP!

2009 Yamaha R1
post #5 of 22 Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 AM

Did you checkout Jannetty 445RWHP cam? I know there is a lot of info out about that kit and looking at the specs of this one, you may be interested in that.

post #6 of 22 Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been looking all night. My eyes hurt now. I'm going to rule out the GM Hot Cam. I'm looking at Comp Cams and MTI.

I just want something that is going to give me more HP and a smooth drive.

2009 Yamaha R1
post #7 of 22 Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MValdez17 View Post
I have been looking all night. My eyes hurt now. I'm going to rule out the GM Hot Cam. I'm looking at Comp Cams and MTI.

I just want something that is going to give me more HP and a smooth drive.
JRE 445RWHP is it then. I have read many satisfied customers with this system. Not only does it give good horsepower, it keeps torque down low also. Look on youtube to hear the idle. I hear this drives really well.

post #8 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 PM

I have a stage 2 cam from Fastlane Motorsports in Houston, TX. the specs are 228/[email protected] 588/595 lift. With a cold air intake, 1 7/8" headers, 3" pipe all the way back & a good tune I'm making 477 at the wheels. I happy so far. Hope this helps you

Performance Mods: Stage 2 Cam Kit, Pipeline CAI, MGW Shifter, Lingenfelter ZR1 clutch, SSW 1 7/8" Headers, 3" Magnaflow exh., Tune by G-Force Motorsports, 477 RWHP
Exterior Mods: PFADT drop springs, Narrow Black Rally stripes, Herritage Grill, TSW Nurburgring Wheels with 305/35 ZR20s out back & 275/40 ZR20s up front.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MValdez17 View Post
I need some help on what cam to get. I grabbed a GM Performance Parts Catalog and found one in there and was leaning more towards that one. P/N 88958733, it states that it adds 50hp. http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/88958733.html

If you guys can help me out and give me your thoughts. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
You need to answer some basic questions before selecting a cam:

1) Will you be adding forced induction or nitrous?
2) Where in your RPM range do you want to maximize torque and power?
3) Is normal operation drivability a factor?

The first question is the most important, because FI/nitrous requires a completely different cam profile. If you'll be using FI, then choose a dual pattern cam with longer exhaust duration as there will be allot more exhaust to expel from the cylinder (remember, those devices increase oxygen substantially, which requires more fuel which in turn creates increased exhaust gases). A stock or near stock intake duration is fine when using FI or nitrous as you can always increase boost or shot size for the intake side.

I recommend you call Comp Cams and get their advice, they'll ask those questions and recommend a few cam profiles for you to choose from.

If you won't be adding nitrous or forced induction, then you'll want to maximize the intake

2010 Camaro RS/SS M6, 641rwhp/558rwt

Edelbrock E-Force Super Charger, Comp Cams 224/236 .601/.608 117 LSA, Fastland "Duece" Fuel Pump, JBA 1 7/8" LT Headers, 4.10:1 Richmond gears, RPM Stage 6 TR6060 Transmission, ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, Pfadt Coilovers, D2 MB2 Forged Wheels
post #10 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM

I don't have any plans for a cam (yet) but when I do I will work with my local dyno shop and probably have them install it and tune it. You will definitely need a tune. If you don't have a dyno close by I would work with Jennettyracing.com. There is no way you can run a stock tune with a different cam. (do you agree, FrostBite?) I know enough about cams to know that I don't know enough about cams to pick out my own grind.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!

Last edited by dconradt; 03-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page