Modern Camaro Forums banner

Any FAST intake owners?

9K views 73 replies 13 participants last post by  BLACK10 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a FAST intake and fuel rails sitting in a box getting ready for installation. I hear they're a PITA to tune and offer very little gains without the supporting mods. I'm really just looking to "bling" out my engine bay a little bit. I already have the HP covered with my CAI, Tune, LT headers, and Custom comp cam. My L99 is currently putting down 414 to the wheels. I'll be happy with 420HP after install and tune.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear instead of doing that you could get a ported and polished (and even painted, if you want the blingness of it) throttle body from one of our sponsors and get quite a bit of gain.

#3 ·
^ Yup I considered that. Since I had a credit with a performance shop I got the intake for practically nothing. Should be interesting to see what gains come of it.

#4 ·
Let me know what is puts down. My dad was interested in this and they both have the same mods and about the same hp..410rwhp

#8 ·
Will do. I hope to have it installed by next week. And tuned a couple days later

Since you have a cam, you'll see some gains from it (more than 6hp I would hope). Shouldn't be too much of a PIA to tune for any experienced tuner.
I've worked with so many tuners I finally found one that really knows his stuff! He said he's tuned so many L99's he lost track.

You can never go wrong with a FAST intake. :)

Since you have a cam, you will see a decent gain from it. I would guess 8-10rwhp.

You would also see a nice gain from a ported throttle body as well if you don't have one already.
I would love to see a 10HP gain. Ported TB is next on my list.

#5 ·
Since you have a cam, you'll see some gains from it (more than 6hp I would hope). Shouldn't be too much of a PIA to tune for any experienced tuner.

#10 · (Edited)
youll be happy with 6RWHP from the fast intake?!?! for the price it cost, i wouldnt be happy unless i got their claimed, 15 RWHP. let me know how much you get. i have a cammed ls3 and im wanting to do the 102mm manifold and throttle body. where did you get it at? i saw phastekperformance.com had it cheapest with the fuel injector spacers for 850. keep me posted on what kind of power you get from it.

#11 ·
Normally I wouldn’t be happy with a 6HP gain. But I had a credit with a performance shop (LG Motorsports) They wanted $1,047.00 which I thought was ridiculous! Most shops are asking $850.00. But with my credit I only paid $400.00 and an additional $200.00 for the fuel rails which you really don't need. You can still use the OEM fuel rails.

#14 ·
You don't need their fuel rails. I just wanted the red ones. Well uhmm because they look kinda cool.:)

how bout instead of installing that intake ....you sell it to me?
Give me those Forged 22" wheels and we'll call it even:thumbsup:

#17 ·
didnt i say the spacer kit was needed for the fuel rails? im lost now. you were just telling me the spacer kit wasnt needed, and now you say it is.....im lost. anyways the spacer kit IS needed with the stock fuel rains. and make sure you post your dyno numbers after you get it tuned. when did you say your getting it tuned?

#18 ·
A spacer kit is not needed if you use their fuel rails. A spacer kit is needed if you use your stock ones. I was going to install it this weekend but my tuner is out of town until next week. Question is do I install it and drive it untuned for a week? Or do I just wait until he gets back?

#20 ·
Have to agree, with your cam you should see 8-10 but the cost per HP is on the high side. The CNC ported TB will give that for far less, and on a bolt on motor the ported stock intake manifold gives close to the FAST. Big valve heads & a big cam and the FAST makes more sense. :thumbsup:

#23 ·
Intake is still sitting in a box :( Been so busy lately I decided to hire a shop to do the install for me rather than tackle it myself. I’m also using a different tuner. My previous shop was a great installer but not the greatest tuner. It’s hard to find someone that is good in both fields. With my current mods I’m at 378TQ/414HP. We’ll see what this shop can do after the FAST intake. I’m away on business right now but should have everything installed and tuned by 6/2.

#24 · (Edited)
My tuner just dyno'd one w/ a cam (+ FAST w/ fuel rails) and made 13hp more than a car with the same cam (and similar mods) w/ the stock manifold. 483rwhp vs 470rwhp (both cars had a CAI, LT headers/high-flow cats/exhaust, 4.10's).

Probably not worth the $$$$ but it does look badass.

#25 ·
Hope to have everything installed and tuned over the next few days. A conversational piece on the floor gets old after a while. Besides, the wife threatened to toss it if it's not on the car by this weekend.:eek:

#26 ·
Hope to have everything installed and tuned over the next few days. A conversational piece on the floor gets old after a while. Besides, the wife threatened to toss it if it's not on the car by this weekend.:eek:

make sure you read the directions(or the shop if they haven't installed a FAST before). I've installed them before and you have to take it apart and do a few things to it before its ready for the car:thumbsup:

#29 ·
Did you see my post (#24)? made 13hp on a camaro w/ a radical cam, LT's and CAI.

My tuner thought it would do better...with some head porting and/or more ci's you'd see much better gains.

#33 ·
before the install, you should do a couple pulls on the dyno you are going to use after the install or your really not making a true compare of numbers.

because of your cam, you'll get a nice gain from the new 102mm throttle body and the intake, but it wont knock your socks off. Most of the gain will be in the 3500 RPM and up range. it will have a cleaner feeling pull through the RPM band.

To gain some mid range torque, have the tuner increase your mid range spark 3-4 degrees to see if the engine will tolorate it with out knock. If he gets KR, then he has to back it out a couple degrees in the specific area. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
I'll definitely do a couple pulls first to get some "true" comparable numbers.
I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the stock intake? Hate to toss a perfectly good intake.

#36 ·
Never really thought about selling yet. Are you interested in the stock fuel rails as well?

#38 ·
I'll keep you in mind Black. Haven't quite decided what I want to do with it yet. Dropping the car off in the morning and picking it up at 6:00PM. I'll try and post some numbers tomorrow night. If not, by Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.