Which exhaust to choose - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Which exhaust to choose

I need help with what kind of exhaust to put on the Camaro. I would like to stay with a cat back. Not sure whether to go with long tube or shorty headers. I'm thinking of stainless works exhaust systems. I have an exhaust on the car, I am not sure which one(came with the car, bought it slightly used) and want to start over.
I am somewhat sure that its a GM performance exhaust, but not sure on how to tell. Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

try and hear as many as you can in person....hard to tell from youtube clips.

Shorty headers wont get you all that much in terms of performance gain, but wont require a tune like LT's do.

Not sure, but I think the GM perf exhaust says GM Perf Parts on the mufflers or tips?? It's made by borla (the same as the borla "touring system")...probably a nice system, but tame in terms of loudness.

It really depends on what you're looking for....do you just want it as loud as possible? do you want a deep tone or more raspy? Keep in mind a lot of systems w/ the LT headers will drone. I have the complete American Racing system (LT's hi-flow cats & mufflers). It's not loud at idle, but comes to life when you get on it...and has no drone at all.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Of course as I would like it to sound great, I would rather have the performance. Thats more important to me.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
ユキヒョウ

The GMPP will have that on the muffler and a chevy bowtie on the exhaust tip.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #5 of 17 Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

For performance...definitely go with 1-7/8" LT headers & high-flow cats...you can't go wrong with one of the complete systems from ARH, Kooks or Stainless Works. I think Stainless Works is the loudest of the 3, not sure about drone though.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help, I think that will help me in my decision
post #7 of 17 Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 PM

The GMPP exhaust is a nice piece, but overpriced and really not what a lot of people are after, performance wise and sound wise. We've removed and thrown away several GMPP kits, due to their owners getting tired of them.

Your goals, emissions, and warranty thoughts/requirements, will determine what headers to use.
Long tubes will give more sound and a lot more power, but require a tune, often voiding warranty, and sometimes going against strict emissions regulations.
Shorties will have some more power, a little more sound, but do not require a tune, do not effect emissions, and usually don't effect warranty (depending on dealer).
However, down the road, you'll most likely be wishing you had just gone for the long tubes.

Our most common setup is the Kooks long tube headers, Kooks high flow cats, and the Magnaflow Comp Series cat back exhaust.
It has excellent power gains, sounds great at idle and normal driving (not too loud), then when you get on it, it sounds amazing, with just the right amount of "look at me" volume. This setup also has no drone.

Call us for the best prices!
- Jeremy
post #8 of 17 Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 PM
ユキヒョウ

^ What JDP said

2019 1SS/1LE
post #9 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 AM

don't forget to look at Texas Speed Systems also. They have nice systems and very reasonably priced.

Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, Texas Speed High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch Cat Back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor
My car is exactly that; No one has to like it but me!
post #10 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Texas Speed systems, never heard of them, but I will check them out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page