427ci. LSX - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 50
 
427ci. LSX

Has anyone replaced their LS3 with an LSX 427ci. engine? Would like to ask some questions about your experience.
Camaro.RS.2SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ
 
BLACK10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BREAUX BRIDGE,LA.
Posts: 1,259
 
A friend of mine did the LSX swap with a 92mm turbo and i was lucky to have also worked on it. here is a vid of it and let me know if i can help with any questions.


LSX 427ci and 92mm turbo, roll cage, Asanti 22's with custom- body matching paint, lowered with H&R springs, Eibach sway bars, vented front fenders, factory gfx, Twin disk carbon fiber clutch, Barton shifter, 1500hp axles, PLX gauges, Ported L92 heads. Tinted lenses and windows, bow tie covers.


Stared in BATTLE OF THE SUPER CARS on SPEED CHANNEL vs a Mustang with 1000rwhp ( you can view the episode on HULU also)


Suspension, lens tint and engine detailing by CHAUFFE PERFORMANCE


BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
[email protected], 1.455 60'
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans

Last edited by BLACK10; 08-05-2011 at 06:41 PM.
BLACK10 is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
A friend of mine did the LSX swap with a 92mm turbo and i was lucky to have also worked on it. here is a vid of it and let me know if i can help with any questions.


LSX 427ci and 92mm turbo, roll cage, Asanti 22's with custom- body matching paint, lowered with H&R springs, Eibach sway bars, vented front fenders, factory gfx, Twin disk carbon fiber clutch, Barton shifter, 1500hp axles, PLX gauges, Ported L92 heads. Tinted lenses and windows, bow tie covers.


Stared in BATTLE OF THE SUPER CARS on SPEED CHANNEL vs a Mustang with 1000rwhp ( you can view the episode on HULU also)


Suspension, lens tint and engine detailing by CHAUFFE PERFORMANCE
Nice looking vehicle, thanks for sharing.

Is that the GM LSX or an aftermarket block from RHS or HKE?

I'm doing a LSX 427ci. build as I had planned to forge the LS3 that had 7.5psi. of boost, but before I could get around to it one of the valves bent and did some harm, turns out slightly more expensive just to go with a new block than to forge the LS3.

Wondering about the heads though, are all the assemblies re-useable in LSX-LS7 heads, and are valve covers re-useable too? Also, would the new LS7 heads requie machining or can they be bolted directly on the LSX block? I know the LS7 heads have the 6 bolt configuration and have rectangular ports so they are stronger and flow #'s should be good, and are also well suited for high boosted engines.

The plan is to go with:

GM iron LSX block
GM LS3 or LSX-LS7 heads (depending on whether or not existing heads can be used; One is damaged in the valve port.)
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Callies pistons rods
Diamond pistons
Solid stainless valves (heavy duty)
And, all the other typical bolts, etc....

Would you suggest anything different or a "might as well" considering rebuild anyway? We're expecting a moderate 800rwhp. with a slightly more aggressive 91 octane tune with this setup. What about timing chain, etc....?

The vehicle has already been setup with a dual fuel pump, ProCharger D-1SC, head assembly (duel springs, crane rockers, etc....), blower CAM, headers, Catted 3" exhaust front to back. We were making 680rwhp. before it went CAM was very effecient.

Sorry, for so many questions but obviosly very nervous about this build as it's going to take some time and as you may already know very costly.
Camaro.RS.2SS is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ
 
BLACK10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BREAUX BRIDGE,LA.
Posts: 1,259
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro.RS.2SS View Post
Nice looking vehicle, thanks for sharing.

Is that the GM LSX or an aftermarket block from RHS or HKE?

I'm doing a LSX 427ci. build as I had planned to forge the LS3 that had 7.5psi. of boost, but before I could get around to it one of the valves bent and did some harm, turns out slightly more expensive just to go with a new block than to forge the LS3.

Wondering about the heads though, are all the assemblies reusable in LSX-LS7 heads, and are valve covers reusable too? Also, would the new LS7 heads require machining or can they be bolted directly on the LSX block? I know the LS7 heads have the 6 bolt configuration and have rectangular ports so they are stronger and flow #'s should be good, and are also well suited for high boosted engines.

The plan is to go with:

GM iron LSX block
GM LS3 or LSX-LS7 heads (depending on whether or not existing heads can be used; One is damaged in the valve port.)
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Callies pistons rods
Diamond pistons
Solid stainless valves (heavy duty)
And, all the other typical bolts, etc....

Would you suggest anything different or a "might as well" considering rebuild anyway? We're expecting a moderate 800rwhp. with a slightly more aggressive 91 octane tune with this setup. What about timing chain, etc....?

The vehicle has already been setup with a dual fuel pump, ProCharger D-1SC, head assembly (duel springs, crane rockers, etc....), blower CAM, headers, Catted 3" exhaust front to back. We were making 680rwhp. before it went CAM was very efficient.

Sorry, for so many questions but obviously very nervous about this build as it's going to take some time and as you may already know very costly.
Hi,

he has a GM LSX block in it. All the parts that you listed look good. Go with a name brand oil pump and timing chain also if you haven't already put that on the list. The 6 bolt LS7x heads will work as well as all the valve covers, etc. You really need the 6 bolt heads with boost on the motor. 800rwhp is very doable with that setup. The LSX block can handle up too 2000hp.


what type of suspension do you have? you really need to up grade axles, bushings, arms with that much hp. is it an auto or manual?

BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
[email protected], 1.455 60'
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans
BLACK10 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Hi,

he has a GM LSX block in it. All the parts that you listed look good. Go with a name brand oil pump and timing chain also if you haven't already put that on the list. The 6 bolt LS7x heads will work as well as all the valve covers, etc. You really need the 6 bolt heads with boost on the motor. 800rwhp is very doable with that setup. The LSX block can handle up too 2000hp.


what type of suspension do you have? you really need to up grade axles, bushings, arms with that much hp. is it an auto or manual?
Did a lot of work on suspension already, but could need more perhaps, next year. By the time this gets built I won't be able to drive much this year.

So, far did sway bars, end-links, diff bushing, race springs, chassis brace, strut brace. Handled very well at 680rwhp.
Camaro.RS.2SS is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Supporting Super Moderator
 
brandonppr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,668
 
Intrested as well

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
brandonppr is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ
 
BLACK10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BREAUX BRIDGE,LA.
Posts: 1,259
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro.RS.2SS View Post
Did a lot of work on suspension already, but could need more perhaps, next year. By the time this gets built I won't be able to drive much this year.

So, far did sway bars, end-links, diff bushing, race springs, chassis brace, strut brace. Handled very well at 680rwhp.
cool, seems like you have it covered. maybe go with cradle bushing inserts as well.

sounds like you have done your research. you'll be fine


here is a pic of the LSX Block before it went in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LSX%20Block.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	11308  

BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
[email protected], 1.455 60'
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans

Last edited by BLACK10; 08-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
BLACK10 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
cool, seems like you have it covered. maybe go with cradle bushing inserts as well.

sounds like you have done your research. you'll be fine


here is a pic of the LSX Block before it went in
You know; that was the plan going forward for this year. Subframe bushings, and control arms but then kaplunk on LS3 forced me to move up the timeline on getting forged engine.

I have to tell you man; LSX is a beautifull piece of engineering, you must be thrilled with that thing under the hood.
Camaro.RS.2SS is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Junior Member
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
 
I'm dealing with this same decision. Do I forge my LS3 block or get a 427 LSX. Decisions decisions.
Darth_Emma is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Junior Member
 
DopeTech420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 19
 
Black10 -
I was wondering if you had any advice/tips I can use, I got
2011 1ss RS LS3
Hennessey CAI
MBRP cat back
Borla shorty headers

Planning on going with a cam kit from GM, and eventually in a year or so the edel Brock e force S/C any recommendations?
DopeTech420 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome