gm performance mufflers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

gm performance mufflers

hello everyone i am a newbie, have a question for the experts on here. i can get a good price on a set of gm performance mufflers for my 2011 ss. are these good performance mufflers or should i get an aftermarket system. the person who ownes them says they were a $700.00 option when he purchased his car. thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I am definitely not an expert...but you do pose an interesting question. What I can tell you is if you go with the GM performance option...you will have NO WARRANTY issues at any dealership ever. If you go aftermarket...you will jeopardize a portion of your warranty at many GM dealership service departments.

Last edited by Envy; 08-30-2011 at 01:46 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

They're just rebadged aftermarket parts. I THINK they're Borlas, but I can't remember.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
GM Performance are a borla exhaust or a Corsa exhaust. Different options. I am not a fan of the Corsa. Installed on a customer vehicle and really didn't have the throaty growl I thought it would. I like the borla type s. That is my .02

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #5 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
They're just rebadged aftermarket parts. I THINK they're Borlas, but I can't remember.
That is correct.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred2011ss View Post
hello everyone i am a newbie, have a question for the experts on here. i can get a good price on a set of gm performance mufflers for my 2011 ss. are these good performance mufflers or should i get an aftermarket system. the person who ownes them says they were a $700.00 option when he purchased his car. thank you in advance.
yep, the GM exhaust setups are aftermarket

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

like envy said:
if it is GM stuff you put on your car, it does not delete your warranty (as long as it is installed by an official GM dealership; make sure to keep all papers and documents)
use non-GM-stuff you can easily have a problem
take a look at this forum or/and some others, and you will find cases, where cars had all kinds of engine probs (worst cases: engine died!)
you would never be able to proof that your non-GM-aftermarket part was not the part causing the prob, i.e. your problem will NOT be covered by warranty...

so: if you can afford buying a new engine just for fun, there is no prob going non-GM...

if you consider killing your warranty a waste of money...
post #8 of 17 Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

i have the loud gm performance mufflers and i love them but if your car is an auto you will have the drone so be aware ! i just drive my car in manual mode and shift to avoid the drone !
post #9 of 17 Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmanpaul66 View Post
i have the loud gm performance mufflers and i love them but if your car is an auto you will have the drone so be aware ! i just drive my car in manual mode and shift to avoid the drone !
yeah
part of it can surely be explained by the afm
as your 6.2 litre sportscar is reduced to a four banger
the problem is not really new
the 5.7 litre hemi v8 has a cylinder shut off too under light load
so a loudmouth2 or similar exhaust can sound pretty weird
for the hemi, it is easy to cure this
us the stick shift to go from D(rive) into 4 (so the trans only uses gears 1 to 4) and the cylinder shut off is shut off and it runs as a v8 all the time)
we do not have our L99 euro spec vert yet (GM still does not offer it, will probably start offering it after frankfurt auto show in september), so i cannot tell you the trick to shut off the cylinder shut off of an L99 camaro, but i am sure there is a way, too
post #10 of 17 Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
like envy said:
if it is GM stuff you put on your car, it does not delete your warranty (as long as it is installed by an official GM dealership; make sure to keep all papers and documents)
use non-GM-stuff you can easily have a problem
take a look at this forum or/and some others, and you will find cases, where cars had all kinds of engine probs (worst cases: engine died!)
you would never be able to proof that your non-GM-aftermarket part was not the part causing the prob, i.e. your problem will NOT be covered by warranty...

so: if you can afford buying a new engine just for fun, there is no prob going non-GM...

if you consider killing your warranty a waste of money...
Under federal warranty law, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)), the burden of proof is on the service department to prove that the aftermarket part is responsible for the specific issue in question. Otherwise the repair must be covered. When it comes to a cat back exhaust system there is no impact on anything "upstream" and there is nothing "downstream". The only potential warranty implications would be that the new aftermarket exhaust itself would not be covered by GM. Since there are no moving parts the only real concern would be rust issues but most quality aftermarket exhaust systems are made from 300 series stainless rather than the 400 series that the factory uses so rust isn't likely.

Here are a couple of posts on our blog that discuss this in a little more detail.

Will This Mod Void My Warranty?

Will A Tune Void My Warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page