Exhaust - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust

I have a 2011 SS1. I went to Midas (big mistake) to get a hot sounding exhaust system put on. They completely muffed it up. They removed the entire exhaust sytem except catalytic converters. Put a (1) Magnaflow muffler on it. Sounded OK but not what I wanted. Wound up ordering an axle back FlowMaster American Thunder system & went to a custon exhaust garage (Muffin Muffler Austin TX) had it installed. Sounded great! One problem is when accelerating or when you are going a steady speed (40 50 60 70 ) it sounds like it's under water. Dealer told me it's because Midas removed the baffels and that the engine shifts to 4 cylinder. WTF it's a muscle car not a Mom & Pop car. Going to Muffin Muffler Monday to have baffels put back on. Hope it solves the underwater sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Yep, the AFM system will make it sound very strange at cruising speed. You could have a tune done to turn off AFM, just a thought. BTW...Welcome!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I have the axle back FlowMaster American Thunder system...it sounds awesome to me..

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Have any sound clips on the axle back system, I want the cat back system because from flow master but if the sound is the same I would go with the axle back. I was also thinking that the cat back system gave you more power, any input would be appreciated thanks. Oh yea I have the 2SS with the A6

Last edited by camaro8; 10-01-2011 at 04:31 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslug View Post
I have a 2011 SS1. I went to Midas (big mistake) to get a hot sounding exhaust system put on. They completely muffed it up. They removed the entire exhaust sytem except catalytic converters. Put a (1) Magnaflow muffler on it. Sounded OK but not what I wanted. Wound up ordering an axle back FlowMaster American Thunder system & went to a custon exhaust garage (Muffin Muffler Austin TX) had it installed. Sounded great! One problem is when accelerating or when you are going a steady speed (40 50 60 70 ) it sounds like it's under water. Dealer told me it's because Midas removed the baffels and that the engine shifts to 4 cylinder. WTF it's a muscle car not a Mom & Pop car. Going to Muffin Muffler Monday to have baffels put back on. Hope it solves the underwater sound.
The stock baffles should pretty much eliminate that sound because that is why they were there in the first place. IDK how much you are paying for that, if it is even an issue, but you could have the DOD tuned so it does not kick on, if you arent worried about ur fuel mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro8 View Post
Have any sound clips on the axle back system, I want the cat back system because from flow master but if the sound is the same I would go with the axle back. I was also thinking that the cat back system gave you more power, any input would be appreciated thanks. Oh yea I have the 2SS with the A6
I have flowmaster cat back on my LS3, and it does sound great, but there is some drone at "legal" highway cruising speed. This was my first mod and I dont remember feeling any real power gains although it says it does. Sound wise, I would think an axle back would be a little bit quieter because of the stock h-pipe. The main reason I chose a cat back over axle back was because I didnt want to cut the stock system.

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 AM

I just had an x-pipe put on ,replaced the big tin can, with stock exhaust,it sounds good!!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Have had Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back on my 2011 SS for about a month now and love the sound . It's quieter inside than stock,but louder outside,also it doesn't drone at all. Camaro also seems to run better and smoother. Had a friend put it on at his shop and he said it was very easy to do, took about an hour and 10 minutes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page