Cam question?? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Cam question??

Has anyone put in a LS9 cam in there l99 if so what HP did it make i can get a brandnew one for cheap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Not sure of anybody who has put that cam in a Camaro. Looks like you have long tubes, exhaust and a tune? This cam would give you a little more power (maybe 30hp), but you may actually lose a bit of torque as well. The LS9 cam is focused on use for a supercharger, and towards pleasing the average customer who is not power hungry. It wouldn't make a great naturally aspirated cam, unless you are definitely going to go forced induction down the line, and even then, its a very mild cam. Either way it probably wouldn't be worth the cost/time of installation.

As you probably know, our L99's are equipped with Variable Valve Timing, and Active Fuel Management. When swapping cams, these things must be removed, which means pulling the heads, replacing the lifters, the engine valley cover, the front cover, and the cam sprocket. It's quite a job on an L99 engine, and therefore would probably not be worth it to put a little cam in. The good thing about it though, once you have done these things, they are good for any other cam you choose to install, and takes a lot less effort/money to replace it again down the line if you want to upgrade further.

It is possible to change the cam without removing these things, using a VVT cam, but cam choices are very limited, especially if you retain the stock lifters. The AFM lifters are very weak when other valvetrain components are replaced with stronger parts. Even in stock situations, they can and do fail.

Don't let me discourage you, replacing the cam and getting rid of these things is a spectacular mod, my favorite to my car for sure: the power, the sound, the rock and roll, and the freedom from the AFM lifters is awesome! But unless you plan on doing the work yourself, and want to do a lot of work, I'd spend an extra couple hundred and get a good cam, you will be much happier.

- Jeremy
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info do u have a cam in your is so what one?

post #4 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nastymaro View Post
Has anyone put in a LS9 cam in there l99 if so what HP did it make i can get a brandnew one for cheap?
jasond from camaroz28.com has done that. maybe head over there and ask him some questions.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nastymaro View Post
Thanks for the great info do u have a cam in your is so what one?
I do have a cam in my LS3 style L99, I actually put in a mild blower cam to experiment with in a naturally aspirated car. I say mild, but it is actually a decent amount bigger than the LS9 cam. It does OK, gained about 40rwhp and 3rwtq from the stock VVT cam, but I'm not really pleased with it in my car; if I had to pay the ~$1700 in labor, I really wouldn't be pleased. As soon as I get some time, I'm swapping in an aggressive naturally aspirated cam.

- Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page