custom tune vs programmer? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

custom tune vs programmer?

so i have the exhaust and the k&n CAI on the way.. once they're on, what is the difference in getting a custom tune rather than a programmer like a hypertech? besides an extra $200.. is it that significant of a difference between the two? and if i were to need to flash it back to stock for warranty issues on a custom tune, will the dealer be able to know it had been tuned? thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 AM

When it comes to warranty, I doubt you can hide anything from the dealer. I bet it has a memory which they can access.

2011 Synergy 2SS
2007 Saleen Parnelli
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM

It depends on the shop who does a custom tune. Some pay for the rights to the HP program and can flash your old program back in with no one knowing. Not to many shops pay for this so ask when you call. A programmer you buy is useless as a bag of marbles.

That K&N air intake is worthless as well. Get a Halltech or ADM with a scoop.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Once you tune your car the dealer will know it. In most cases any engine or tranny problems will no longer be covered under warranty.Even if tuned back to stock your dealer will know it has been tuned.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddb View Post
Once you tune your car the dealer will know it. In most cases any engine or tranny problems will no longer be covered under warranty.Even if tuned back to stock your dealer will know it has been tuned.
I believe this is correct.. I'm not sure you can hide the HP tune even though you flash it back...

hand helds are limited in what they do but they are cheap and do allow for some slight tweaking... BUT they wont ever come close to what you can do with a tune from a software suit and logging...

hand helds are getting smarter and one day maybe they will log and allow for the parameters to be changes like the suites do.. but I haven't seen it yet

some handheld companies though do offer variations I think.. and will send you a program based on your cars setup..
post #6 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Tune will def cook your warranty, although a cool service dept is always a huge help but they can detect it a few of our guys here are GM service guys.

Also a custom is way better than a canned handheld tune,

If your worried about your warranty I would wait a while.

Cold air inductions is also an excellent cai

I have had quite a bit of experience with tuners do your homework before you go with someone

also this is just what I did , before I started modding (tune) my car I pirced out the big parts rear trans engine etc,, on GMpartsdirect just to know how jammed up i would be just in case.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

HP is the software base for the programs on all GM's ECU/ECM'S. A reputable Dyno shop pays HP for access to the program when they tune a car (some use a pirated program). Depending on the skill of the tuner they can reset the module and the service manager never has a clue.

You still want to be cool with the service department. They will cut you a lot of slack if you own a Camaro just because they know your not going to drive it like a Prius.

If you have a M6 they will almost always cover any damage to the drive train, because that tranny was not designed for a 4000lb car.

Remember the service manager was a gear head at one time and would rather help you than hurt you if you don't make it impossible for him to do so.

Twice forever banned from C5 club and working on a 3rd
No Hope
Ratt

Last edited by BubbaHD; 01-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM

bubba that was good response but I will add this

Dealerships make crap money wise for warranty work, a busy shop will deny what they can as it isnt in their best interest to do it. Some service managers are on commision as well... Dont trust a stealership, dont ever disclose your mods or racing or beating on the car.... You never show your hand in a poker game and that is exactly what your playing when it comes to dealerships and service depts.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Garage
QPO

My Camaro was a used 2010 with 2200 miles. It was a Quality Pre-owned car, and qualified for a full GM warranty. If the ECM is flashed, is there a datestamp? IE, will they know if the tune was done after or before I bought it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page